British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Oxford Speedway Programme 2023

I've just finished reading my visiting brother's Oxford programme of the recent visit of Poole and have to say it's a class publication. Plenty of interest for present fans and those that enjoy reading some nostalgia and Scott's Nicholl's refeshingly honest account of the well taken win up at Berwick. Nice to see that the "warm toned" Dave Hammond still does the announcing. I always thought that he was/is the best in the business and a terribly nice person as well. Richard Palmer (I used to work with his uncle at the Zoology of Department) is still there and great to see that Leon Foster-Hill is still involved...used to enjoy my banter with him as he had a dry sense of humour. Matt Davis involved on the track curatorial side of things another who I remember (I presented him with my "Skol" Cheetahs jacket!) and of course that super enthusiast Rob Peasley who is the programme editor. I wrote some articles for him for the "Chronicle" some years back. Even my uncle one time Oxford photographer Keith Lawson got a credit!

Well done to everyone involved!

• Like 4

On 7/30/2023 at 7:34 AM, steve roberts said:

I've just finished reading my visiting brother's Oxford programme of the recent visit of Poole and have to say it's a class publication. Plenty of interest for present fans and those that enjoy reading some nostalgia and Scott's Nicholl's refeshingly honest account of the well taken win up at Berwick. Nice to see that the "warm toned" Dave Hammond still does the announcing. I always thought that he was/is the best in the business and a terribly nice person as well. Richard Palmer (I used to work with his uncle at the Zoology of Department) is still there and great to see that Leon Foster-Hill is still involved...used to enjoy my banter with him as he had a dry sense of humour. Matt Davis involved on the track curatorial side of things another who I remember (I presented him with my "Skol" Cheetahs jacket!) and of course that super enthusiast Rob Peasley who is the programme editor. I wrote some articles for him for the "Chronicle" some years back. Even my uncle one time Oxford photographer Keith Lawson got a credit!

Berwick do a really nice programme too but rarely gets decent marks from the paragraphing twins in Speedway Star review

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still have that jacket Steve!

You’ll have noticed a column from ‘Chloe Davis’, my daughter and current Oxford mascot  

• Like 1

No Peter York then?  Phew!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Matt Davis said:

I still have that jacket Steve!

You’ll have noticed a column from ‘Chloe Davis’, my daughter and current Oxford mascot  

Good to hear from you Matt. Glad that you still have the jacket...it saw me thru' those glory years! I did wonder if that was your daughter?

Steve, thanks for the kind comments about the programme.

The idea is to have a varied programme, with plenty of interesting stuff to read.  We're not in it to win any awards, although it was nice when only the (excellent) Edinburgh programmes were placed ahead of us last season.

PS I know you're a long way away, but hoping you make it down at some point - we do have a couple of Friday meetings on the way (August 25 and September 1) if that helps!

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Sounds more like a 'topic' about you, as opposed to the Oxford programme ?:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Yes I guess that it comes across a bit like that although I found it refreshing that so many people that I knew are still involved at Cowley in one capacity or another.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Just teasing...banter etc :D fair play to you!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Steve, thanks for the kind comments about the programme.

The idea is to have a varied programme, with plenty of interesting stuff to read.  We're not in it to win any awards, although it was nice when only the (excellent) Edinburgh programmes were placed ahead of us last season.

PS I know you're a long way away, but hoping you make it down at some point - we do have a couple of Friday meetings on the way (August 25 and September 1) if that helps!

Yes I'd truly like to make a visit however my personal circumstances does make it difficult but you never know?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

Just teasing...banter etc :D fair play to you!

I took it as a bit of banter and not offended in the slightest thanks! :t:

• Thanks 1

Nice to see that the "warm toned" Dave Hammond still does the announcing. I always thought that he was/is the best in the business and a terribly nice person as well.

I always enjoyed listening to Dave when he was at Brandon, he was always very professional , more so than the last promotion at the stadium were I must say.:wink:

• Like 2