British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marksman

Belle Vue Colts vs Workington Comets NDL - Fri 25th August 7.30pm

First ever visit to the NSS for the Comets and 23 years since Workington and Belle Vue met. Looking forward to this one, hopefully Connor Bailey can score a Max around his 'home' circuit.

Just saw on the new Declarations that Paul Bowen has left the Colts with Jack Shimelt replacing.

Expecting Ace to be riding for Glasgow, or could be injured from his crash last night at Poole.

Pearson and Hagon will be riding for Plymouth/Birmingham.

Expecting teams to look like:

Colts

1. Guest or R/R for James Pearson
2. Matt Marson
3. Guest or R/R for Sam Hagon
4. Freddy Hodder
5. Jack Smith
6. Jack Shimelt
7. Luke Muff

Comets
1. Connor Bailey
2. Sam McGurk
3. Luke Harrison
4. Luke Crang
5. Guest or R/R for Ace Pijper
6. Elliot Kelly
7. Harry McGurk

27 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Expecting Ace to be riding for Glasgow, or could be injured from his crash last night at Poole.

Judging from comments about his crash last night, potentially ruled out with concussion so would miss the return leg Saturday too

Meeting swings on which guest is booked/available for Belle Vue , if Harry could find some Belle Vue form an away win is on.....

I don't understand this comment:

Club CEO Mark Lemon said: “We are sorry to see Paul go, but with the play-offs fast approaching and his circumstances meaning he would miss some key fixtures, we feel the change was necessary.

Why is the change "necessary" if Bowen is gonna miss matches, then Shimelt could have been used as an unnattatched guest?

Now I'm not saying what they've done is wrong, just the reason given doesn't make sense?

28 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Club CEO Mark Lemon said: “We are sorry to see Paul go, but with the play-offs fast approaching and his circumstances meaning he would miss some key fixtures, we feel the change was necessary.

Why is the change "necessary" if Bowen is gonna miss matches, then Shimelt could have been used as an unnattatched guest?

Now I'm not saying what they've done is wrong, just the reason given doesn't make sense?

Depends on how many meetings he was going to miss, I guess?

Giving Jack a full-on chance at it is all credit to them, as far as I'm concerned.

Jacob Hook guests for Pearson, and Luke Killeen for Sam Hagon.

I’m assuming it’s R/R for Ace as we’ve got Callum Foy as no.8.

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Depends on how many meetings he was going to miss, I guess?

Giving Jack a full-on chance at it is all credit to them, as far as I'm concerned.

Actually it doesn't depend on how many matches he was going to miss, that makes the change "necessary" like Redcar with Harrison, could just have agreed to use him when needed.

I would say if they announced "because Bowen will miss matches we've decided to give Shimelt a go, or said, Shimelt's been going well in practice & he deserves a chance - that would be a positive spin on it - giving Jack confidence? By saying the change was "necessary" I read that as meaning, they didn't really want to sign him but we're forced into it?

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Actually it doesn't depend on how many matches he was going to miss, that makes the change "necessary" like Redcar with Harrison, could just have agreed to use him when needed.

I would say if they announced "because Bowen will miss matches we've decided to give Shimelt a go, or said, Shimelt's been going well in practice & he deserves a chance - that would be a positive spin on it - giving Jack confidence? By saying the change was "necessary" I read that as meaning, they didn't really want to sign him but we're forced into it?

Perhaps Jack turned around and said i want all the meetings not just the scraps?  Even though he is woefully out of form im surprised Sam Woolley didn't get the call up over Shimelt.

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Perhaps Jack turned around and said i want all the meetings not just the scraps?  Even though he is woefully out of form im surprised Sam Woolley didn't get the call up over Shimelt.

If that was true, I'd still announce "we want Shimelt" rather than "the change was necessary"

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

But different rules. Harrison can guest every week for Redcar (as Stoneman did for Oxford last year) but unattached riders in the NDL can only guest twice on any track (I think)

7 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But different rules. Harrison can guest every week for Redcar (as Stoneman did for Oxford last year) but unattached riders in the NDL can only guest twice on any track (I think)

I had forgotten about that rule, although even if that's why it was "necessary" to sign him, I would have still made out it was Colts choice, rather than having to do it, to give Shimelt a wee confidence boost.

I would liken it to Redcar signing Bailey, instead of saying "we're only signing him because Shanes is injured" I'd put "we would have gone for him from the start, but thought he was staying at Glasgow" just a wee positive spin on it for incoming rider & fans?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

Ultimately Belle Vue must win all thier fixtures and take the aggregate points to stand an outside chance of making the play offs....which includes winning away :shock:

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

It’s all a bit strange timing. By saying with the play-offs approaching that suggest Lemon thinks they’ll make the play-offs but unless there’s a major collapse by Oxford or Leicester it’s going to be those 2! Belle Vue have to beat Leicester at home and claim the aggregate BP, be unbeaten at home and win once maybe twice away. 

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

Too any belle Vue fans, is the back straight open for these meetings? Coming down from worky to watch the comets at the NSS

40 minutes ago, Neila said:

Too any belle Vue fans, is the back straight open for these meetings? Coming down from worky to watch the comets at the NSS

Only the grandstand is open for the NDL meetings, back straight is closed

• Thanks 1