British Speedway Forum
Rob B

2023 Playoffs

54 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Cheers so Sheffield can bring in a guest for Tai then, does seem somewhat ironic considering according to many we should not have been able to replace our number1 last season. No doubt Mr Steads opinion has changed. Dont think we will do it with r/r, we need Blodorn and Brennan really on it and the extraliga version of Dan. I have a slight incling towards Ipswich, can never disregard them with their spearhead

Yes  they can use a  guest for their number one as can any team throughout the season, what you cannot do is replace your number one just for the play offs ;like Belle Vue did last season. R/R is not ideal, Wright would be a big miss for any team.

18 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Using a guest who has ridden the league here is a little different than signing a ringer.

Yep its worse.

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep its worse.

yet a certain teams fans have banged on for years about how we brought in Tai in 2016, 6 meetings before the playoffs.

Thats the most ironic thing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yes  they can use a  guest for their number one as can any team throughout the season, what you cannot do is replace your number one just for the play offs ;like Belle Vue did last season. R/R is not ideal, Wright would be a big miss for any team.

Thanks for the explanation, what seemed odd was we apparantly shouldnt have been able to replace Fricke who had rode for us all season yet its deemed fine to replace a replacement number 1, speedway rules eh, think we need to be getting at least 7 from Charles rides.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:02 AM, Baldyman said:

Hopefully Wolves will win,, just like Worky did before closing down,,, and the just like Worky come back with a new venue and a fantastic speedway track 

I liked your post and truly hope you are correct about Wolves coming back, but being a Belle Vue fan since 1964 I can't agree with a Wolves win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Thanks for the explanation, what seemed odd was we apparantly shouldnt have been able to replace Fricke who had rode for us all season yet its deemed fine to replace a replacement number 1, speedway rules eh, think we need to be getting at least 7 from Charles rides.

Reading the pre season Speedway Star interview with Jim Lawrence, I just shuck my head at the sheer stupidity of him and those running the sport. He referenced the changes made following Lamberts end of season injury cover for Max and their moves to prevent it. The thinking being we don’t like riders coming in just for play off meetings even if covering for injury. 

The fixture list produced preseason had all top league fixtures being completed in August, with only the play offs in September. 

The “ringer” rule states that no team changes can be made after the end of August. This means - according to the rules, teams can make a signing at the end of August when all the fixtures are supposed to be complete with these new signings only having the play offs to ride in. It beggars belief and with an administration so inept, it’s not difficult to see why the sport in this country is dead. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bellevueace said:

The rules have changed now so you cannot replace a rider after the end of August even if he has a season ending injury.

Despite having never ridden for my team , Charles Wright is a favourite of mine who any team would miss,  his never say die attitude and desire to win is something all fans would appreciate. He will be a big miss for Belle Vue and especially  Redcar who will find it very difficult to get a suitable guest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ouch said:

Reading the pre season Speedway Star interview with Jim Lawrence, I just shuck my head at the sheer stupidity of him and those running the sport. He referenced the changes made following Lamberts end of season injury cover for Max and their moves to prevent it. The thinking being we don’t like riders coming in just for play off meetings even if covering for injury. 

The fixture list produced preseason had all top league fixtures being completed in August, with only the play offs in September. 

The “ringer” rule states that no team changes can be made after the end of August. This means - according to the rules, teams can make a signing at the end of August when all the fixtures are supposed to be complete with these new signings only having the play offs to ride in. It beggars belief and with an administration so inept, it’s not difficult to see why the sport in this country is dead. 

So a team signs a rider at the end of August said rider gets injured but is still allowed  guest to cover? Im lost mate, how can such a simple sport have such a comlicated rule book? I give up with it just hope the actual ontrack action is good, imagine a newby trying to understand it

• Like 1

On the rare occasion that  a newbie goes,,, do you really think they say,,, tell me all the rules,,,, no,,,, they go to see the spectacle of it,, all they need to know is 2 riders from each team 3210,,add them together 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

So a team signs a rider at the end of August said rider gets injured but is still allowed  guest to cover? Im lost mate, how can such a simple sport have such a comlicated rule book? I give up with it just hope the actual ontrack action is good, imagine a newby trying to understand it

You get a facility for any rider that is injured throughout the season, why would you not be allowed a facility for an injured rider, Sheffield have already suffered massively losing Tai, the guest who replaced him last night was rubbish.

58 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

You get a facility for any rider that is injured throughout the season, why would you not be allowed a facility for an injured rider, Sheffield have already suffered massively losing Tai, the guest who replaced him last night was rubbish.

However, the guest who was rubbish was a GP rider.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

On the rare occasion that  a newbie goes,,, do you really think they say,,, tell me all the rules,,,, no,,,, they go to see the spectacle of it,, all they need to know is 2 riders from each team 3210,,add them together 

Correct. Then said newbie goes a few more times, learns it’s a bent joke of a sport, disappears and tells everyone it’s a bent joke sport. Tracks then don’t get enough fans to pay top dollar in rent and are then closed. 

Edited by ouch

48 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

However, the guest who was rubbish was a GP rider.

Yes and luckily for Belle Vue was injured last year!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Correct. Then said newbie goes a few more times, learns it’s a bent joke of a sport, disappears and tells everyone it’s a bent joke sport. Tracks then don’t get enough fans to pay top dollar in rent and are then closed. 

Strangely,,, there still a few thousand that still go and know it's a bent sport,,,, now that's even more amazing,, 

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

And they watch the spectacle, like it, and follow their team, then start to get into the minutiae, then think..

"Bollocks to this"...:D

• Like 1