British Speedway Forum
Rob B

2023 Playoffs

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

It wasn’t within the rules that were intended, there is a difference.

Try that argument with a lawyer.  I deal in commercial services contracts, I'd be laughed out the room if I used that as an excuse,  Belle Vue were perfectly within thier rights to use Lambert, nothing else to discuss. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

It doesn’t matter what you believe - there’s  nothing in the Regs to say that a rider can guest for only one team in the play-offs.

Maybe there’s a gentleman’s agreement that it would lend *some* credibility to allow play-off guests to ride for only one team.

6 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

In the rules or not I can guarantee you Harris won't be able to ride for more than 1 team in the playoffs, so either way the point stands. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Try that argument with a lawyer.  I deal in commercial services contracts, I'd be laughed out the room if I used that as an excuse,  Belle Vue were perfectly within thier rights to use Lambert, nothing else to discuss. 

So you admit if a 2nd team wanted to use Harris they could. It takes an non-binding gentleman's agreement to prevent it

A legal challenge would allow it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a difference???  :rofl: :rofl:

The wording was: "This permits changes to the team on 2 occasions, except for proven long term injury."  There is no ambiguity.

As I have stated several times before, both Sheffield and Ipswich used this Regulation to their advantage, and in both cases the proven long term injury was just 6 weeks!  In Sheffield's case the injured rider never returned to their 1-7, even though he was fit enough to ride in the Championship, because they realised they were stronger with the change they made.

If the intention was for something different, the BSPA/SCB should have written the Regulation to reflect that. You can't say: "that's not what we meant", it wouldn't stand up in Primary School, let alone a court.

44 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

If you are a lawyer then presumably you are familiar with Hart v Pepper.

36 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The wording was: "This permits changes to the team on 2 occasions, except for proven long term injury."  There is no ambiguity.

Not ambiguous?

What's long term? 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years?

And what is proof? What if you get two conflicting doctors opinions? After all we know that all the existence of a sick note proves,  is that someone was able to find a tame doctor to issue one?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Not ambiguous?

And what is proof? What if you get two conflicting doctors opinions? After all we know that all the existence of a sick note proves,  is that someone was able to find a tame doctor to issue one?

They set their own precedent with 6 weeks.  What is said behind closed doors we will never know, but I'm sure BV would have been able to show that Fricke was injured sufficiently to prevent him riding for 6 weeks - even if it was the end of the season, there's nothing in the Regs about timing.  As it was, none of the moaners had any grounds on which to prevent BV from using Lambert. They succeeded in having the wording removed (rather than properly worded, and tested) - as a result, we've got debates about who can guest, and when, and how many times. 

11 minutes ago, arnieg said:

If you are a lawyer then presumably you are familiar with Hart v Pepper.

Clearly, Sheffield should have read every page of Hansard to find something about long term injuries, or even speedway, and then taken that to the High Court B)

11 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Not ambiguous?

3  Meetings?

28 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

They set their own precedent with 6 weeks.  What is said behind closed doors we will never know, but I'm sure BV would have been able to show that Fricke was injured sufficiently to prevent him riding for 6 weeks - even if it was the end of the season, there's nothing in the Regs about timing.  As it was, none of the moaners had any grounds on which to prevent BV from using Lambert. They succeeded in having the wording removed (rather than properly worded, and tested) - as a result, we've got debates about who can guest, and when, and how many times. 

Clearly, Sheffield should have read every page of Hansard to find something about long term injuries, or even speedway, and then taken that to the High Court B)

For Hansard substitute BSPL media releases, principally those issued following the AGM.

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

As I have stated several times before, both Sheffield and Ipswich used this Regulation to their advantage, and in both cases the proven long term injury was just 6 weeks!  In Sheffield's case the injured rider never returned to their 1-7, even though he was fit enough to ride in the Championship, because they realised they were stronger with the change they made.

If the intention was for something different, the BSPA/SCB should have written the Regulation to reflect that. You can't say: "that's not what we meant", it wouldn't stand up in Primary School, let alone a court.

There was a separate regulation which you’ve failed to mention.

No team changes to be permitted after August ## (can’t remember exact date) except for a rider returning from long term injury.

you would have thought if it was intended that you could change a rider who got injured after said date it would be included in this regulation. The regulation you quote is merely trying to say you could make changes on a 3rd occasion if one was for a long term injury. so actually yes, there is ambiguity, massive ambiguity in fact, hence their 1st attempt to sign him was rejected. Actually it’s not even ambiguous, it’s pretty clear, I’m amazed the BSPA backed down on it to be honest.

Please check your facts before quoting selective parts to support your argument. You will be pulled up on it.

Edited by Call me wolfie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Out of interest how many guests were permitted back in the day? I started going in the the early eighties and I can remember guests for number ones while everything else was covered by R/R and juniors.

I could stomach that, it's when teams have been running with three, four and sometimes five riders borrowed from other teams that it gets silly. 

My memory from the NL in the late 80s & 90s, was when a heat leader was out r/r used, when a second string was missing, a reserve stepped up into the team & a junior stepped up to reserve. Can't remember situations when 2 heat leaders were out though?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

The sport was massive due to the individual comps going out on one of just three channels throughout the summer on TV..

Tens of millions literally watched it...

Then turned up at the tracks to watch those riders..

And in those days when PC was "somewhere else" (with Larry Ross, Pete Smith, John Titman, or Martin Ashby), replacing him, you found out when you were there, not on the internet a couple of days before...

A completely different time...

Time, which has moved on...

Speedway (n the UK) hasn't..

"But guests are a necessary evil"...

"Dribble, Dribble"....:D

Surely being on TV made things worst..After all these people would have seen these dreaded Guest riders and then turn  off the TV and never gone to speedway again . Not sure why you would go to your local  track in the first place  unless people were really bother by guest riders of course.lol  

14 hours ago, arnieg said:

For Hansard substitute BSPL media releases, principally those issued following the AGM.

So BSPL media releases carry the same weight as Hansard :rofl:

13 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

There was a separate regulation which you’ve failed to mention.

No team changes to be permitted after August ## (can’t remember exact date) except for a rider returning from long term injury.

you would have thought if it was intended that you could change a rider who got injured after said date it would be included in this regulation. The regulation you quote is merely trying to say you could make changes on a 3rd occasion if one was for a long term injury. so actually yes, there is ambiguity, massive ambiguity in fact, hence their 1st attempt to sign him was rejected. Actually it’s not even ambiguous, it’s pretty clear, I’m amazed the BSPA backed down on it to be honest.

Please check your facts before quoting selective parts to support your argument. You will be pulled up on it.

I did not quote selective parts, you did.

The "No more than 2 changes, except for cases of long term injury" was specific to the Premiership, so overrode (if you'll pardon the pun) anything else.

No doubt you'll be delighted to see that the Witches have now been shafted by the Regulations regarding their use of Joe Thompson as a Guest in the Rising Star position.  I can't see anything at all in the Regs to prevent them form using him.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

That's the bottom line.

I think guests, R/R and doubling help don't help though. My wife's grandad no longer goes to Belle Vue regularly for a number of reasons but if you ask him why the first reason he will come out with is the lack of a team identity. I know on the odd occasions 

I remember someone the same kind of thing about the Swindon side a few years ago. the problem was when you looked at the stats Swindon had one of the best in their History for having the  same 7 out each week  I think since we gone to Monday - Thursday I think it's been really good in terms of teams having there normal  1 to 7..of course we have a band of people  who just pan British Speedway no matter what so just tend ignore that .

18 minutes ago, orion said:

I remember someone the same kind of thing about the Swindon side a few years ago. the problem was when you looked at the stats Swindon had one of the best in their History for having the  same 7 out each week  I think since we gone to Monday - Thursday I think it's been really good in terms of teams having there normal  1 to 7..of course we have a band of people  who just pan British Speedway no matter what so just tend ignore that .

It's definitely helped.

• Like 1