British Speedway Forum
Rob B

2023 Playoffs

1 hour ago, Moranboys said:

Not that I'm a fan of all these changes,it really is crazy

Agree. Why bother with the league matches, just start the meetings in September by pulling names out of hat and those teams who make it to the play offs can then bring in the riders they can afford after the Polish season has finished. If you only have four clubs running next year, problem solved, each club tries to get the best seven they can afford and off you go. After all in the U.K. it is not a summer sport anymore given the lack of meetings in June, July and August.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 1:18 PM, Rob B said:

Belle Vue confirmed finished top of the league.

Will face team in 4th place which is looking likely to be Ipswich now. 

On 8/28/2023 at 1:25 PM, Rob B said:

Also been confirmed Belle Vue will ride at home first leg on Monday 18 September 

Is.this official, if Wolves win their last 3 meetings 60-30 (yes I know it’s unlikely) they will finish level on points with a better points difference. Has someone got their calculations wrong?

5 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Is.this official, if Wolves win their last 3 meetings 60-30 (yes I know it’s unlikely) they will finish level on points with a better points difference. Has someone got their calculations wrong?

I think it probably is as it is on the Fixture list on the Speedway GB website.

As you rightly say though in theory Wolves could still finish top! 

2 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

I think it probably is as it is on the Fixture list on the Speedway GB website.

As you rightly say though in theory Wolves could still finish top! 

Belle Vue are not confirmed as Champions, but are confirmed as top two which would give them choice of whether to race at home first. 

What an f ing joke speedway in This country has become. I love watching on a Thursday at Ipswich but even I am now totally pissed of that teams can just change at any point. Take a leaf out of the football rules for Christ sakes  and limit when signings can be made. The whole sport has become an absolute joke now and no one in charge seems to give a damn!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stu219 said:

What an f ing joke speedway in This country has become. I love watching on a Thursday at Ipswich but even I am now totally pissed of that teams can just change at any point. Take a leaf out of the football rules for Christ sakes  and limit when signings can be made. The whole sport has become an absolute joke now and no one in charge seems to give a damn!

There was a perfectly good rule but Jim Lawrence and his cartel cronies got rid of it. It allowed teams to sign a full time team member in place of an injured rider thus meaning teams didn’t need to rely on guests during our showpiece event when the media is watching. It also stopped the ridiculous situation where clubs could have 13 different team members during the season. Dumb just doesn’t cover it. 

012.2 TEAM COMPOSITION

A Premiership Transfer Window opens after 25% of the League fixtures are complete and closes when 75% of League fixtures are complete. This permits changes to the team on 2 occasions, except for proven long term injury.

17 minutes ago, ouch said:

There was a perfectly good rule but Jim Lawrence and his cartel cronies got rid of it. It allowed teams to sign a full time team member in place of an injured rider thus meaning teams didn’t need to rely on guests during our showpiece event when the media is watching. It also stopped the ridiculous situation where clubs could have 13 different team members during the season. Dumb just doesn’t cover it. 

012.2 TEAM COMPOSITION

A Premiership Transfer Window opens after 25% of the League fixtures are complete and closes when 75% of League fixtures are complete. This permits changes to the team on 2 occasions, except for proven long term injury.

Absolute joke now though. I wonder how many promoters in the top flight are happy to go along with the shambles. Will any of them dare to come out and offer their views? Over to you promoters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Mark Lemon actually alluded to this scenario in the post-match press conference after yesterday's match at the NSS.

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Belle Vue are not confirmed as Champions, but are confirmed as top two which would give them choice of whether to race at home first. 

Yes but the point is, albeit very unlikely, Wolves could still top the table and if they did may choose to ride their home leg that very evening so presumably BV would have to pick another evening if that was the case unless you believe the second placed club could choose before the first placed club.

9 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

Yes but the point is, albeit very unlikely, Wolves could still top the table and if they did may choose to ride their home leg that very evening so presumably BV would have to pick another evening if that was the case unless you believe the second placed club could choose before the first placed club.

Are the semi finals on the same night?If so it wouldn't matter what Belle Vue choose.

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Are the semi finals on the same night?If so it wouldn't matter what Belle Vue choose.

No they’re not. The Belle Vue fixture appears to have ratified by the BSPL as 18th September.

I hope Ipswich sneak in and win it. They’ve been absolutely pony for most of the season and will have finished fourth bottom of the league. Truly fitting for the joke of a league system we have in operation. 

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

I hope Ipswich sneak in and win it. They’ve been absolutely pony for most of the season and will have finished fourth bottom of the league. Truly fitting for the joke of a league system we have in operation. 

Not sure that's wholly fair but they have been around the fourth/fifth best team, which is what the league shows.  Belle Vue are seventh bottom :)

Now if you want Ipswich to do well because they haven't been changing their side just before the play-offs then I agree.  However, the play offs should be a separate competition and there should be merit (including prize money for the clubs) for their position in the league itself, irrespective of the play-off results. 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not sure that's wholly fair but they have been around the fourth/fifth best team, which is what the league shows.  Belle Vue are seventh bottom :)

Now if you want Ipswich to do well because they haven't been changing their side just before the play-offs then I agree.  However, the play offs should be a separate competition and there should be merit (including prize money for the clubs) for their position in the league itself, irrespective of the play-off results. 

I want Ipswich to do well as hopefully I will get to see Emil at the NSS again...B) 

Edited by mikebv