British Speedway Forum
Rob B

2023 Playoffs

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

They have been absolute pony when I've seen them 

The only team they haven't beaten at home is Belle Vue so I guess you've just been unlucky seeing the losses or have only watched them away from home.  Perhaps you bring them bad luck:D

Edited by SPEEDY69

13 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

The only team they haven't beaten at home is Belle Vue so I guess you've just been unlucky seeing the losses or have only watched them away from home.  Perhaps you bring them bad luck:D

Well I've seen them 3 times at home and they have lost 3,,,2 to Belle Vue and 1 to wolves 

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not sure that's wholly fair but they have been around the fourth/fifth best team, which is what the league shows.  Belle Vue are seventh bottom :)

Now if you want Ipswich to do well because they haven't been changing their side just before the play-offs then I agree.  However, the play offs should be a separate competition and there should be merit (including prize money for the clubs) for their position in the league itself, irrespective of the play-off results. 

Which in a seven team league shouldn’t give you the opportunity to walk away with the league title. 

The chopping and changing of riders is within the rules, so if anything it’s on Ipswich for not giving Riss his marching orders months back. Whether it’s right or wrong is another matter naturally. 

The best thing for the sport would probably be Wolves winning it. Proving that big names aren’t necessarily the answer for one and that if your top tier champions can go out of business shortly after winning the title then something needs to change in the sport for another. 

There will be a major shake up at this year's AGM though,,, they are swapping from Sainsbury custard creams to Aldi digestives 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would like to see wolves win the play-offs.  Like Swindon, it would be great for them to bow out at the top as league champions.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

There will be a major shake up at this year's AGM though,,, they are swapping from Sainsbury custard creams to Aldi digestives 

The radical move that should have been done post Covid...

Great to see...

I believe Garibaldi's were considered but they didn't know if they would need a visa or not after Brexit, and, if a visa was attainable, what assessed quality rating they should give them....

The promoter who wanted them said they should be a four but it was mentioned to him that a few years ago a packet of Frangipanes were brought in and  they were given a five..

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

More cost cutting devaluing the product :rofl:

19 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Just wait & see their faces when Chris Harris arrives dressed a rich tea to guest in place of the Aldi digestives who have other commitments!

On 8/29/2023 at 11:27 AM, ouch said:

We weren’t allowed to keep them at reserve as we were compelled to sign another RS after Tom was banned from the scheme. Wolves and Belle Vue have used a similar amount of riders over the last five seasons and this puts them separate from the rest of the league in terms of loyalty. There’s 3 ex Colts in the Acea lineup which is in itself quite extraordinary. 

Graduated from the scheme is a better explanation for it. He improved & got a spot in their top 6. That's a ringing endorsement for the RS system in my view

• Like 3

Belle Vue will be top, Wolves need 3 x 58:32 wins, they are not getting that with away matches at Sheffield and Peterborough.  Unlikely they beat Leicester at home by that score. 

3 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

Unless Sheffield get Tai back Belle Vue will walk the play offs.

Just a mobility scooter will do 

11 hours ago, JoeW436 said:

Unless Sheffield get Tai back Belle Vue will walk the play offs.

Agree Belle Vue must be odds on favourites. Tigers have lost Tai, Wolves and Leicester inconsistent.

3 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Agree Belle Vue must be odds on favourites. Tigers have lost Tai, Wolves and Leicester inconsistent.

Belle Vue definitely favourites, but anything can happen in play offs, and we do like a meltdown at monmore occasionally.  Although I expect winning last year will have taken some of the usual pressure away.