British Speedway Forum
iainb

Drugs - Just Say No!

British Speedway has many problems... but does it have a drugs problem?

3 riders busted in less than 2 months

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iainb said:

British Speedway has many problems... but does it have a drugs problem?

3 riders busted in less than 2 months

YES !! 3 so far is only the tip of the iceberg. Rumours of white powder up noses and mechanics peeing in bottles has been about for a while.  The sport needs to clamp down early and not just hand out 3 month bans ,but life bans. 

• Like 1

I don't know, I'm just a punter who turns up, pays and goes home, I'm not party to all the rumours, only what I read on here really. 

There seems several types of potential offence, recreational, performance enhancing, medication or faulty test. 

I can't think that unless you were near the pinnacle of the sport you'd be using performance enhancers. Ignorance is no defence for medication and then there's recreational. 

Speedway, being an extreme sport, naturally attracts those seeking the high of an adrenaline rush... maybe that's just not enough for some riders.

This needs stamping out... and right now. You'd hope to hear of some elevated testing from now until the end of the season from the authorities

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't know, I'm just a punter who turns up, pays and goes home, I'm not party to all the rumours, only what I read on here really. 

There seems several types of potential offence, recreational, performance enhancing, medication or faulty test. 

I can't think that unless you were near the pinnacle of the sport you'd be using performance enhancers. Ignorance is no defence for medication and then there's recreational. 

Speedway, being an extreme sport, naturally attracts those seeking the high of an adrenaline rush... maybe that's just not enough for some riders.

This needs stamping out... and right now. You'd hope to hear of some elevated testing from now until the end of the season from the authorities

Won’t happen it has been going on for at least 30 years that I have known of, excuses including pot laced fruit cake, spiked drinks, cough medication and still is now, if you are lucky they admit when they have been found to have taken harder substances. The argument for drinking someone brought it for me and I didn’t know what was in it, I only had a pint, I used a hand sanitiser etc.

When Darcy was done for drinking at the Latvian gp, another rider was interviewed and said it’s all well and good testing for alcohol but drug tests needed to be conducted more regularly and how many years ago was that? If it had been the year before I could have told you several names that were up ‘til 2am doing shots in Latvia, that would have been banned.

You are very wrong in thinking it is the more elite riders that are the only ones to gain. Think about it the more you can score (points that is) the more money you get, you may not do it every meeting trying not to draw to much attention but how many riders have you seen over the years who have been riding badly then have a maximum the next week. I am not saying this is the case for all riders in that situation but you are left with a question over it. I have seen posts on other sites from ex-riders saying it’s the tip of the iceberg and they could tell you the names of many riders that are taking drugs. Let’s face it, it’s that well known amongst the riders then in some cases officials at the club also see what is happening. What I don’t understand is if it’s that well known who is abusing the rules why is nobody informing on them? What they are doing endangers everyone on the centre (medics, track staff, riders, photographers etc.). 

The question that you will never know the answer to is how many accidents have been caused as a result of someone who has taken something on the banned list alcohol/drugs? How many careers have been ended or life changing injuries caused because of this?

Also why do the drug test just at the start of the meeting, if you are going to try and beat the system as some do, some riders/mechanics get warning calls that there are tests being done at that meeting (then suddenly you hear the van has broken down, food poisoning, traffic jams etc.). Would you turn up under the influence or once you know the test has been done or is not happening what’s to stop you from taking something then, some drugs are absorbed into the system quicker than others. 

The bottom line is that all riders know the license conditions and what drugs (legal or otherwise, including alcohol) they can or cannot take and even if they don’t it is their responsibility to make sure they comply with the regulations. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Debbi said:

Also why do the drug test just at the start of the meeting, if you are going to try and beat the system as some do, some riders/mechanics get warning calls that there are tests being done at that meeting (then suddenly you hear the van has broken down, food poisoning, traffic jams etc.). Would you turn up under the influence or once you know the test has been done or is not happening what’s to stop you from taking something then, some drugs are absorbed into the system quicker than others. 

The bottom line is that all riders know the license conditions and what drugs (legal or otherwise, including alcohol) they can or cannot take and even if they don’t it is their responsibility to make sure they comply with the regulations. 

The drug testing company used turn up in the pits only about an hour prior to the start time & only the Referee will be told to expect them. As the rules state that all riders need to be at the track at least an hour before they should not be missing. I'm not saying it has not happened in the past but the testers learn quickly. There can be no excuse for taking any type of drug, the selected riders are asked before any testing is done have they taken any drugs at all & even headache & flu medication would be suggested.

I know a rider once failed an alcohol test after using mouthwash. It was a minimal reading & the tester offered him time &suggested he rinse with cold water then the second test was a zero reading.

• Like 2

ive never heard anyone say after watching a speedway meeting he must be on drugs or pi88ed. if anyone should be tested it should be after a something unusual on track has happened, at the refs discretion., i already know what some people are going to come back with.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, DazS said:

ive never heard anyone say after watching a speedway meeting he must be on drugs or pi88ed. if anyone should be tested it should be after a something unusual on track has happened, at the refs discretion., i already know what some people are going to come back with.

So rather than try to prevent a potential problem in an already dangerous sport, wait until someone gets hurt or worse than test? Riiight…

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

if you dont want anyone to get hurt wrap everyone in cotton wool. most of society is like that now. if you care about people that much you would ban all dangerous sports.

3 hours ago, DazS said:

This is an incredible take. Wow. Where’s the laughing smiley?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DazS said:

if you dont want anyone to get hurt wrap everyone in cotton wool. most of society is like that now. if you care about people that much you would ban all dangerous sports.

Right, that’s plenty, Andre Compton.

• Confused 1

Nothing, I’m in agreement with you. I’ve never heard anyone leave a speedway meeting, saying ”he was on drugs” either. Don’t get me wrong, every time I watch a live meeting from Wolverhampton, I wish I was on drugs, but I get what you’re saying. Safety’s overrated.

Post-meeting drug testing at the mascots, sorry referee’s discretion would add to the excitement, anyway. Helmets would stop you seeing whose eyes are bloodshot and whose jaw is swinging, so the old Cluedo skills would have to be refined.

”Alan, is it just me, or is he riding erratically? He’s either excited or high”.

Having said that, I’m not sure Charles Wright would appreciate being accused of taking drugs every week.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Nothing, I’m in agreement with you. I’ve never heard anyone leave a speedway meeting, saying ”he was on drugs” either. Don’t get me wrong, every time I watch a live meeting from Wolverhampton, I wish I was on drugs, but I get what you’re saying. Safety’s overrated.

Post-meeting drug testing at the mascots, sorry referee’s discretion would add to the excitement, anyway. Helmets would stop you seeing whose eyes are bloodshot and whose jaw is swinging, so the old Cluedo skills would have to be refined.

”Alan, is it just me, or is he riding erratically? He’s either excited or high”.

Having said that, I’m not sure Charles Wright would appreciate being accused of taking drugs every week.

Or Vissing..

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Or Vissing..

You’ve opened up a can of worms there, Lisa, but I’ll tell you what, I’m up for this game.

Charles Wright and Claus Vissing are joined on the naughty step by…

Hans Andersen, Nicki Pedersen, Andre Compton, Tomasz Gollob (Craig Boyce likes this), Roman Matousek, Jan Pedersen (it must be the surname) and… Martin Goodwin. No, Dugard. No, both.

13 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

You’ve opened up a can of worms there, Lisa, but I’ll tell you what, I’m up for this game.

Charles Wright and Claus Vissing are joined on the naughty step by…

Hans Andersen, Nicki Pedersen, Andre Compton, Tomasz Gollob (Craig Boyce likes this), Roman Matousek, Jan Pedersen (it must be the surname) and… Martin Goodwin. No, Dugard. No, both.

Good ones there. If he wasn't going through such a tough time atm Craig Cook did cause a rider to be flipped onto dog track before. But I feel bad for him atm, so we'll leave him off ;)

• Like 1