British Speedway Forum
davieb1

Richie Worrall statement

48 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Thing is ,certain Promotions will still want to employ him,does nothing for the image of the sport.

Just as well it probably won't get reported anywhere else then!

28 minutes ago, fatface said:

Hmm. Are you so damning on all those rock stars you admire?

We don't know the detail of this. The statement is not very revealing. What were the circumstances behind these substances being in their system? Has Worrall pleaded guilty or not? From what we do know, Boxall is a repeat offender, so its a pattern of behaviour and he didn't bother to defend it, so he deserves the book thrown at him.  For Worrall, it's his first time, he defending himself and he's been punished. Young men make mistakes and deserve a second chance, hopefully he will learn from it. 

First time? First time he got caught do you mean, speedway is dangerous if you do drugs don't get on a speedway bike and put others at risk of serious injury.

• Like 5

Tbh, is anybody actually surprised at the statement and the punishments? 

Boxhall has previous and in the eyes of the BSPA, just another rider. Worrall on the other hand is one of the better riders and a heat leader at most clubs, do we think the the lenient punishment has anything to do with losing a 'top' rider? 

Morris must be feeling very narked and hard done by with these punishments, tho his ban should have been a yardstick for Boxhall and Worrall. 

• Like 2

It's frustrating where Morris's punishment for not taking a test was, I felt correct and serves as a deterrent for others. Worrall's punishment for taking a recreational drug known to impair your judgement is sufficiently pathetic to say to anyone else, " don't worry about it, if you get caught, you'll miss a few months"  It's not like he held his hands up, admitted it, and showed any remorse. Initially at least. 

• Like 1

Shocking outcome and punishment. 

should of got 2 year ban as of when he was found guilty. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, fatface said:

We don't know the detail of this. The statement is not very revealing. What were the circumstances behind these substances being in their system? Has Worrall pleaded guilty or not? From what we do know, Boxall is a repeat offender, so its a pattern of behaviour and he didn't bother to defend it, so he deserves the book thrown at him.  For Worrall, it's his first time, he defending himself and he's been punished. Young men make mistakes and deserve a second chance, hopefully he will learn from it. 

How can you defend him.They are meant to be Professional sportsmen ,they know the rules.

It is noticeably in every case of drugs in every sport they plead innocent, but very rarely that is the case when results are known.Excuses don’t wash.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fatface said:

Rockstar taking cocaine at a concert is not putting his band mates lives at risk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wtf said:

It's frustrating where Morris's punishment for not taking a test was, I felt correct and serves as a deterrent for others. Worrall's punishment for taking a recreational drug known to impair your judgement is sufficiently pathetic to say to anyone else, " don't worry about it, if you get caught, you'll miss a few months"  It's not like he held his hands up, admitted it, and showed any remorse. Initially at least. 

Absolutely 

Comparison with rock stars is nonsense. Worrall and Boxall were taking substances deemed to be performance enhancing. I can’t think of any other sport where someone would not get a ban for doing anything, drugs or otherwise, that was deemed to give an unfair advantage over the other competitors. In essence it’s no different to going to the line with an oversized engine.Its just another way of gaining advantage over riders who play by the rules, and ultimately to cheat the spectators. In addition they both knew full well they were breaking the rules.

After Morris, Worrall and Boxall one would hope the message would get through to any other riders minded to act similarly.

1 hour ago, AceBelle said:

so Morris gets 2xyear ban no test taken?  worrall 9mth basically? being guilty of cocaine?? Doesn't add up to me ?

It's always the case for not taking a test as Morris could of taken anything. 

41 minutes ago, DJC said:

I'd hazard a guess there are only a few ways cocaine can get into your system and very few of those are inadvertently. 

He isn't really a 'young man', he's in his 30's and has been a 'professional sportsman' for almost 2 decades- it isn't a silly mistake - he should know better! 

and you can't seriously compare standing on a stage miming to jumping on a 60mph bike with no breaks with 13 other blokes? Give your head a wobble.

Then let me clarify for you. I'm saying taking his livelihood away for good is not appropriate, as some are suggesting.

He's made a mistake, he's been rightly punished. Boxall is a repeat offender and deserves much harsher treatment.  Of course Worrall should know better. Now he does. People make mistakes in life. This is a big one and he's been punished and - in the eyes of some - will be tarnished forever. There will always be plenty of folk charging out of the door with their pitch forks shouting "burn him", particularly in the extreme black and white media world folk inhabit. 

Real life doesn't work that way.

As far as I know Richie Worrall doesn't have a track record of misdemeanors, so let's been grown up about it and not treat him like some leper.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fatface said:

Then let me clarify for you. I'm saying taking his livelihood away for good is not appropriate, as some are suggesting.

He's made a mistake, he's been rightly punished. Boxall is a repeat offender and deserves much harsher treatment.  Of course Worrall should know better. Now he does. People make mistakes in life. This is a big one and he's been punished and - in the eyes of some - will be tarnished forever. There will always be plenty of folk charging out of the door with their pitch forks shouting "burn him", particularly in the extreme black and white media world folk inhabit. 

Real life doesn't work that way.

As far as I know Richie Worrall doesn't have a track record of misdemeanors, so let's been grown up about it and not treat him like some leper.   

Totally agree, it's not the first time a top rider has been caught taking drugs. Richie maybe thought he'd get away with it , how often he was doing this recreationaly is up to him but ignorance of after effects on himself and more importantly others is shameful. On the other hand if , as has come out his drink was spiked then he's been very unlucky.

Edited by ONTWOMINUTES
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Is the mitigation consideration that he got caught.Seems rather light sentence.IMO.Especially suspending 9 months of it.

The Mitigation was that his drink got spiked on a night out the weekend before the test took place. Which was confirmed in the levels that were in the laboratory tested sample .

1 minute ago, flagrag said:

The Mitigation was that his drink got spiked on a night out the weekend before the test took place. Which was confirmed in the levels that were in the laboratory tested sample .

Of course it did..!! They will be telling us who spiked the drink next!!!!

18 minutes ago, fatface said:

He'll have to get another job then... just like a delivery driver would if they lost their licence

• Like 4