British Speedway Forum
Gavan

Emil Sayfutdinov

Will go down as one of the best to never win the world title. No shame in that, the club is full of exceptional talent. There will always be a big what if over his earlier hiatus from the series when he was arguably at the peak of his powers. Now it is Zmarzlik’s world and everyone else just lives in it. 

I think there’s an awful lot wrong with British Speedway but having Emil here has been a breath of fresh air.

I’d love to see him back in the GP series but can’t see Russian riders getting a wild card even though Emil and Artem Laguta should absolutely be in the series. The clock is ticking time wise for Emil on that score but hopefully we see him in the UK again next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

Will go down as one of the best to never win the world title. No shame in that, the club is full of exceptional talent. There will always be a big what if over his earlier hiatus from the series when he was arguably at the peak of his powers. Now it is Zmarzlik’s world and everyone else just lives in it. 

I think there’s an awful lot wrong with British Speedway but having Emil here has been a breath of fresh air.

I’d love to see him back in the GP series but can’t see Russian riders getting a wild card even though Emil and Artem Laguta should absolutely be in the series. The clock is ticking time wise for Emil on that score but hopefully we see him in the UK again next season. 

Yes those early years out cost him a world title.  They should both be back in the GP series next year, but unlikely to happen.

• Like 3

I think he’s had bad injuries at the wrong times in his career too, the arm break in 2010 was a bad bad injury, didn’t look the same again until 2013 when he went toe to toe with woffy and once again got injured 

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

He is in good company - Adams etc

At least he has Speedway of Nations Golds!

It is a shame that he is not permitted to compete - lets hope this is resolved soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

He is in good company - Adams etc

At least he has Speedway of Nations Golds!

It is a shame that he is not permitted to compete - lets hope this is resolved soon.

Adams is always the one that springs to mind for me. Probably the last rider to retire who should have won one but didn’t unless I’m missing someone glaringly obvious. 

Hans Andersen is another. Was the best in the world in 2006 but only got the second half of the GP series when Rickardsson packed it in. 

A massive digression from the thread there, apologies. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Yes indeed.  Watched Emil's form in 2023 with great interest, possibly surprising he joined Ipswich, not necessarily every rider's favourite track, he mighta bin expected to sign for, say, Belle Vue, Sheffield, or Peterborough but he's ridden Foxhall from day one like he was born there.  Devastating from all year, and away from home too, be interesting to compare his winning times with  Doyle, another excellent rider & also King who has ridden Ipswich for years.  Reported to be a nice guy off track too, would be an asset to the SGP series & just love his cool Imperial Stormtrooper-style crash helmet....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling ?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Yes indeed.  Watched Emil's form in 2023 with great interest, possibly surprising he joined Ipswich, not necessarily every rider's favourite track, he mighta bin expected to sign for, say, Belle Vue, Sheffield, or Peterborough but he's ridden Foxhall from day one like he was born there.  Devastating from all year, and away from home too, be interesting to compare his winning times with  Doyle, another excellent rider & also King who has ridden Ipswich for years.  Reported to be a nice guy off track too, would be an asset to the SGP series & just love his cool Imperial Stormtrooper-style crash helmet....

I think Emil is a little quicker than Doyle but it’s hard to tell cos Doyley is usually slowing and pulling wheelies on the last lap if he’s in lead sometimes from the 3rd lap tbh hahah both are comfortably quicker than anyone else tho

Emil is quicker than Doyle as he is the current track record holder at Ipswich and also beat the Leicester track record earlier in the season which he has now lost.

Thanks and you can see Emil is likely quicker than Doyle, think the words 'on a mission' apply here....

Really looking forward to seeing him on Monday riding the NSS...

Too easy for him last night, (I left to beat the traffic before ht15 so didn't see him get beat)...

Emil gating on a track with minimal passing opportunities isn't anything like the spectacle he puts on when riding those tracks with big sweeping bends and wide open spaces... 

Watching him and Kurtz inches away from the fence at the NSS is truly breathtaking to watch...

Let's hope for some of that on Monday...

And hopefully more next year.... 

6 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Adams is always the one that springs to mind for me. Probably the last rider to retire who should have won one but didn’t unless I’m missing someone glaringly obvious. 

Hans Andersen is another. Was the best in the world in 2006 but only got the second half of the GP series when Rickardsson packed it in. 

A massive digression from the thread there, apologies. 

Andersen was also pretty good at the start of the next year from memory when he did get a permanent spot until his engine went bang at Peterborough one night and he was never quite the same again

Tommy Knudsen is the other one often referenced... but if you look at Andreas Jonsson's GP record, he really should have done a lot better in terms of a seasons rostrum and the ultimate prize

Edited by iainb

Emil has been a breath of fresh air this year.  Some exceptional performances on the track and a class act off it as well.  

• Like 2

The main thing is how fully committed he has been to it... unlike Laguta no mucking around at all..

• Like 1

Emil is sheer class on bike very stylish.IMO

Dont really see any reason that he should not be reinstated to GP.Easily aTop 5 man.Seems to be Team player for hie Clubs

4 hours ago, orion said:

The main thing is how fully committed he has been to it... unlike Laguta no mucking around at all..

Laguta is a world champion, show him some respect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1