British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayFan91

Ipswich Witches 2024 serious team predictions

On 11/23/2023 at 6:15 PM, Daniel Smith said:

I'm not sure it's about "loyalty to British Speedway" with Doyle at all. He lives reasonably local & stated many times he wants more family time throughout the season. Riding for Ipswich gives him exactly that. 

Nothing more, nothing less. 

On 11/23/2023 at 6:31 PM, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely.

Its great that he has ridden over here for so long but if he was married to a Swede or Pole I expect things could be quite different.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I don't deny most of that. At the same time he's not riding for Ipswich because he's passionate about Ipswich. It's convenient & paid handsomely. I don't think it's anything for people to get their knickers in a twist over. 

You knew exactly what you were doing as you started it all with the post above, quickly backed up by another Lynn fan. A Peterborough supporter and a Belle Vue supporter commend the man’s loyalty and lo and behold two Lynn fans immediately respond to argue against it. Why would you even want to start that “debate”? Just comes across as envy and pettiness to be honest. Is it convenient and financially beneficial to him, of course it is nobody has said otherwise to my knowledge, but he does genuinely seem to love riding for Ipswich that’s pretty obvious too and I’ve no doubt they were his first choice. He goes above and beyond what needs to be said when riders sign for clubs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Why not debate without personal attacks and insults?

Why be so triggered by somebody posting a pretty mild opinion? 

Dear me.

Wow ! 

You think that’s a personal attack ? What a sheltered life you must lead ! 

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

The way you’ve gone off in that reply, I’d say you’re even more fun at parties.

Gone off ? Oh dearie me, it’s not even December, and yet the snowflakes are already out ! 

1 hour ago, Aries said:

You knew exactly what you were doing as you started it all with the post above, quickly backed up by another Lynn fan. A Peterborough supporter and a Belle Vue supporter commend the man’s loyalty and lo and behold two Lynn fans immediately respond to argue against it. Why would you even want to start that “debate”? Just comes across as envy and pettiness to be honest. Is it convenient and financially beneficial to him, of course it is nobody has said otherwise to my knowledge, but he does genuinely seem to love riding for Ipswich that’s pretty obvious too and I’ve no doubt they were his first choice. He goes above and beyond what needs to be said when riders sign for clubs

Ok, had to find his original interview for signing for Ipswich in his first year, in which the situation is obviously the same for him personally. 

Read it 3-4 times then come back to me. I know exactly the bits you'll ignore or you'll say "yeah but that 2021."

At no point is he enforcing any commitment to British Speedway. 

“I’ve been speaking to Chris Louis for many years now, but it just never worked out.

“I went to Sweden and then obviously the pandemic happened so the last two years I have been over in just Poland and Sweden. I made the decision after this year that I wanted to come back to British speedway and Chris was the first one I spoke to and obviously from the years before where we were close to signing contracts, I thought it was time to go to Ipswich for the first time.”

“I had a few offers, so I had to sit down and pick through the pros and cons and the main pros are that I like the Ipswich track and have rode well there so that was a big plus point. Plus, living so close to Ipswich as well and going to airports after a Thursday meeting for Grand Prix was another major factor. The final one was being so close to home; I can get back to home from Ipswich within an hour and I’m back in my own bed and not travelling through the night.”

“For myself racing in England is a massive plus because I’m riding all the time on the bike. The young kids always speak about being in Poland and Sweden but if you’re on the bike you are getting a lot more confidence and a lot more money if you are riding twice a week compared to only doing one in Sweden and one in Poland.

“Sometimes if you are not in the top five in the team, you are probably in and out of the team all year. For myself, riding a lot in England helps me riding in Poland and in the Grand Prix and I seem to go a lot better when I’m on the bike and not thinking as much as perhaps I have the last couple of years when I have been doing Poland and Sweden. The young kids they really need to look at the way I do it because for myself I think it benefits my racing when I do go to other major competitions.”

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Ok, had to find his original interview for signing for Ipswich in his first year, in which the situation is obviously the same for him personally. 

Read it 3-4 times then come back to me. I know exactly the bits you'll ignore or you'll say "yeah but that 2021."

At no point is he enforcing any commitment to British Speedway. 

“I’ve been speaking to Chris Louis for many years now, but it just never worked out.

“I went to Sweden and then obviously the pandemic happened so the last two years I have been over in just Poland and Sweden. I made the decision after this year that I wanted to come back to British speedway and Chris was the first one I spoke to and obviously from the years before where we were close to signing contracts, I thought it was time to go to Ipswich for the first time.”

“I had a few offers, so I had to sit down and pick through the pros and cons and the main pros are that I like the Ipswich track and have rode well there so that was a big plus point. Plus, living so close to Ipswich as well and going to airports after a Thursday meeting for Grand Prix was another major factor. The final one was being so close to home; I can get back to home from Ipswich within an hour and I’m back in my own bed and not travelling through the night.”

“For myself racing in England is a massive plus because I’m riding all the time on the bike. The young kids always speak about being in Poland and Sweden but if you’re on the bike you are getting a lot more confidence and a lot more money if you are riding twice a week compared to only doing one in Sweden and one in Poland.

“Sometimes if you are not in the top five in the team, you are probably in and out of the team all year. For myself, riding a lot in England helps me riding in Poland and in the Grand Prix and I seem to go a lot better when I’m on the bike and not thinking as much as perhaps I have the last couple of years when I have been doing Poland and Sweden. The young kids they really need to look at the way I do it because for myself I think it benefits my racing when I do go to other major competitions.”

So you’ll take what he said 2 years ago as gospel but what he’s said this close season is all a line for the fans and he doesn’t mean a word of it yeah?

11 hours ago, Spidvej said:

Wow ! 

You think that’s a personal attack ? What a sheltered life you must lead ! 

There is really no need to refer to people as idiots and write posts like you are thirteen years old. Surely we can all debate and discuss in a mature and controlled manner? Not difficult to show some manners and be mature.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aries said:

The fact that I'm a Lynn fan is neither here nor there, I don't really consider there to be that much of a rivalry between Lynn, Ipswich and P'boro nowadays. Maybe years ago when riders had deep club loyalties and didn't double up ir ride abroad, but not really any more. I admire Ipswich a lot  they're a great club. I didn't expect this whole thing to blow up as it has, I just wanted to balance out the whole loyalty thing and the clog that other riders who don't base themselves in the UK get for not being 'loyal'.

And Doyle has had agreements with Lynn in the recent past, but obviously it all comes down to the deals offered which is absolutely fair enough, and happens every year with many different riders.

5 hours ago, 89buttons said:

So you’ll take what he said 2 years ago as gospel but what he’s said this close season is all a line for the fans and he doesn’t mean a word of it yeah?

Not denying what he's said this close season at all, all I'm saying is the main reason he rides British Speedway is to benefit himself as per above. Not for the love of British Speedway & / or Ipswich. 

I just don't get why fans feel upset by that. 

• Like 1

Dont ALL riders

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not denying what he's said this close season at all, all I'm saying is the main reason he rides British Speedway is to benefit himself as per above. Not for the love of British Speedway & / or Ipswich. 

I just don't get why fans feel upset by that. 

Don't ALL riders ride in British speedway to benefit themselves? 

Just like any other job, you do it to benefit yourself through a wage. 

1 minute ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Dont ALL riders

Don't ALL riders ride in British speedway to benefit themselves? 

Just like any other job, you do it to benefit yourself through a wage. 

Finally, we're getting there. Jason Doyle has signed for Ipswich because it benefits him. 

Why are people upset by that?? 

8 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Finally, we're getting there. Jason Doyle has signed for Ipswich because it benefits him. 

So it's not just Jason Doyle .... its ALL riders but you have singled him out. 

No different to when Tony Rickardsson left Ipswich for Kings Lynn though :wink:  or was it? 

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

Just now, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

So it's not just Jason Doyle .... its ALL riders but you have singled him out. 

Bit different to when Tony Rickardsson left Ipswich for Kings Lynn though :wink:

I haven't singled out Doyle. It's an Ipswich thread, an Ipswich signing & people banging on about his commitment to British Speedway & / or Ipswich. He's said himself he needs British Speedway because it makes him better in the GP's & Poland, benefiting himself to be here. 

Why should fans be upset by that?? 

It's an Ipswich thread... where you have singled out Doyle for signing for the Witches as it benefits him..

Just like it will benefit the other 6 Witches.. but theres no mention of them? (OK only 1 other has been announced so far) 

Have you also posted on the other threads saying it will benefit their teams that they have signed 7 riders? Eg The Holders and Woffy grabbing the poor paying publics money at Sheffield. 

What about Laguta last year using the Stars for the money ( when he wasn't injured/ill/ cba :blink:

Why arent you using Laguta as the example of a "moneygrabber" rather than Doyle who has ridden in the Uk since 2005. Is there any other non English rider who is as loyal to UK speedway as Jason Doyle? But hey its all about his benefit right? :t:

Maybe you should go back to the King's Lynn thread where you can talk about the Stars latest team of journeymen and mercenaries ( not Niels of course he's there for the love of Buster) 

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Is it mutually exclusive to be "committed" to British speedway and also ride here because it benefits him? As has been said, we all go to work because it benefits us but we can still be committed while we're there.

Jason Doyle came to this country 18 years ago and aside from 2009 has only missed riding here because of COVID. He is legitimately the definition of committed to British speedway.

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

There is really no need to refer to people as idiots and write posts like you are thirteen years old. Surely we can all debate and discuss in a mature and controlled manner? Not difficult to show some manners and be mature.

I agree, but they're right on this occasion.

• Like 1