British Speedway Forum
PotteringAround

New Club for 2024?

On 10/20/2023 at 8:19 AM, Mimmo said:

I've suggest Brafield for weeks now on my FB postings, and it's not to far from Coventry.

Saw a post on Instagram from someone from Incarace saying there were no plans for speedway at Brafield next year.

13 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Saw a post on Instagram from someone from Incarace saying there were no plans for speedway at Brafield next year.

I can’t see it either but it’s really the only shale track that is ready to go other than Bradford and their future is unsure, non of the other venues banded about have a shale track that would be ready in 5 months 

I remain very sceptical about Bradford being viable for league racing in particular.  Their crowds were never great from my memory in the 90s (certainly when you compare it against the size of the stadium).  You couldn’t accuse the Hams of putting together cheap teams either - they were always very strong teams and were particularly strong in the KO cup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MattB said:

I remain very sceptical about Bradford being viable for league racing in particular.  Their crowds were never great from my memory in the 90s (certainly when you compare it against the size of the stadium).  You couldn’t accuse the Hams of putting together cheap teams either - they were always very strong teams and were particularly strong in the KO cup.

I agree. In the 60 years I've followed the sport we've had the Panthers, Northern, Barons and Dukes, none of whom drew good crowds, even in the 70's boom years. Not sure why things would change now.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 7:22 PM, HertsRacer said:

I agree. In the 60 years I've followed the sport we've had the Panthers, Northern, Barons and Dukes, none of whom drew good crowds, even in the 70's boom years. Not sure why things would change now.

Bradford Northern drew very big crowds for a couple of seasons but these soon tailed of after the novelty factor wore out. Biggest cock up in that part of the World where speedway was concerned was losing Halifax Dukes speedway at the Shay which was always well supported and I think would still get viable crowds in modern times.

Yes shame this new track mentioned by Phil Morris didn't materialise, how close was this to actually happening?

I wonder if Sunderland would be a possibility as the stadium is still there?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I wonder if Sunderland would be a possibility as the stadium is still there?

No.  ARC own Sunderland and, seeing as they made it quite clear they didn't want speedway at Brough Park, speedway at Sunderland ain't gonna happen any time soon.

28 minutes ago, StevePark said:

No.  ARC own Sunderland and, seeing as they made it quite clear they didn't want speedway at Brough Park, speedway at Sunderland ain't gonna happen any time soon.

That's a shame.

29 minutes ago, StevePark said:

That's a shame.

I know it was raised a few years ago and dismissed because King's Lynn (Buster) thought it was too close, but Swaffham Raceway has just had a makeover and the owner is looking for new opportunities. With Peterborough closing and Mildenhall withdrawing from regular league speedway, it may be an opportunity. It may draw new punters from Swaffham, Dereham, Watton,Fakenham, even Norwich etc as well as the Mildenhall faithful.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Wembleyfan said:

I know it was raised a few years ago and dismissed because King's Lynn (Buster) thought it was too close, but Swaffham Raceway has just had a makeover and the owner is looking for new opportunities. With Peterborough closing and Mildenhall withdrawing from regular league speedway, it may be an opportunity. It may draw new punters from Swaffham, Dereham, Watton,Fakenham, even Norwich etc as well as the Mildenhall faithful.

Isn't the track tarmac or concrete ?

Edited by HertsRacer

The biggest problem with Swaffham is that its too far away from Norwich and too close to King's Lynn in a rural area. Even the popular stock cars and bangers have struggled to make it pay there.

I've always thought Swaffham raceways an Arena Essex clone apart from the old raceway Tavern that used to be on the 1st bend at Arena.

Ronnie Russell looked at it years ago but I think the only way it would work is if a NL team was run from there in conjunction with King's Lynn.

1 hour ago, HertsRacer said:

Isn't the track tarmac or concrete ?

Tarmac.370 yards.

Edited by Bald Bloke

I don't know what the rules and regs are regarding speedway tracks opening close to others but there is little doubt in my mind that unless the two clubs worked together to avoid running meetings too in the same week then either or both would really struggle. There just aren't enough interested people locally to support two venues IMO although I'd love to be proved wrong.

As a venue though I think Swaffham could work, it's in a good location.