British Speedway Forum
Endeavour

Edinburgh Team 2024

10 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Hopefully Craig cook will be in the team building list as he deserves a chance to rebuild his career if he chooses it's still something he wants to do. 

No, I'm no longer buying his behaviour and any team which is crazy enough to sign him had better have a ready replacement for when he 'withholds his services' and does another disappearing act again. I can't even see a Premiership team taking a chance on him either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Hopefully Craig cook will be in the team building list as he deserves a chance to rebuild his career if he chooses it's still something he wants to do. 

If Cookie was on a 7 I would say yes but an over 9 is a big risk. Think people have underestimated the effect the incident in Poole match had on him.

• Like 2

If, as has been suggested, Cook is suffering from mental health problems then he absolutely needs to get those sorted before he considers resuming his speedway career. That can be a long and winding road, mental health problems are for life, not just something that will go away. 

Sadly he may have burned a lot of bridges over the years even if unintentionally. 

Cook has probably overachieved in his Speedway career given how late he came to the sport. We’re talking a former Grand Prix rider here, yet people have seemingly knocked him more than built him up during his time in the sport. Whatever happens I hope he is in a good place. If he can come back to racing, be safe and enjoy it then even better for everyone involved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

If, as has been suggested, Cook is suffering from mental health problems then he absolutely needs to get those sorted before he considers resuming his speedway career. That can be a long and winding road, mental health problems are for life, not just something that will go away. 

Sadly he may have burned a lot of bridges over the years even if unintentionally. 

Cook has probably overachieved in his Speedway career given how late he came to the sport. We’re talking a former Grand Prix rider here, yet people have seemingly knocked him more than built him up during his time in the sport. Whatever happens I hope he is in a good place. If he can come back to racing, be safe and enjoy it then even better for everyone involved. 

Cook is very good rider, but he has been his own worst enemy over the years with his comments on social media.That hasn’t helped his cause.IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

People have knocked him for his outrageous and quite often petulant behaviour both on and off the track. Like it or not the more your profile rises the more attention you inevitably get and if you regularly let yourself down like he has then people will knock you.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2023 at 11:57 AM, Ben91 said:

I hope that he gets sorted and comes back to the sport.talent is something that is not lost overnight and regardless of any problems he still remains a talented rider.would be a loss to the sport.

Edited by Moranboys
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:57 PM, Ben91 said:

Don't agree with the first part. He could be suffering from serious depression over a recent event that over time could fade away with each passing year. I know this having been through depression myself.

Cook was a superb rider make no mistake, but as stated his reliability the last few years makes him unemployable, at least by a top side. You may see someone desperate for a number one signing him, if he wants to race on, but you wont see any decent side building a team around him. I have a feeling that Glasgow seen the warning signs and that's why they replaced him. And what a move that was as if you put Cook in that Glasgow team for Harris, it doesn't make the play offs.

I don't like Cook and never have but it would be good to see him turn everything around and come back strong. I think Wilson and Stoney were better due to dominance in a much stronger league for over 5 seasons but Cook is up there with one of the best number ones in the second tier in the last 25 ish years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Don't agree with the first part. He could be suffering from serious depression over a recent event that over time could fade away with each passing year. I know this having been through depression myself.

Cook was a superb rider make no mistake, but as stated his reliability the last few years makes him unemployable, at least by a top side. You may see someone desperate for a number one signing him, if he wants to race on, but you wont see any decent side building a team around him. I have a feeling that Glasgow seen the warning signs and that's why they replaced him. And what a move that was as if you put Cook in that Glasgow team for Harris, it doesn't make the play offs.

I don't like Cook and never have but it would be good to see him turn everything around and come back strong. I think Wilson and Stoney were better due to dominance in a much stronger league for over 5 seasons but Cook is up there with one of the best number ones in the second tier in the last 25 ish years.

Appreciate that, we all have different experiences. I don’t feel depression or mental health issues ever truly leave you but time and experience can help with coping. A complete aside from the thread I know!

Completely agree with regards to Cook as a rider. Was dominant in this division for quite a spell. Remember him winning two races off of 15 metres at Rye House one night if my memory serves me correctly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinny said:

if you put Cook in that Glasgow team for Harris, it doesn't make the play offs.

Steady mate ;) 

Glasgow could’ve put me in for Harris, and they still would’ve made the playoffs!! 

Agree with you - shrewd from Glasgow. 

Thought Jacob Hook did well at Workington yesterday. WillEdinburgh give him a fair chance in 2024?

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

Thought Jacob Hook did well at Workington yesterday. WillEdinburgh give him a fair chance in 2024?

Would depend again on the points limit. If going with only one 4.00 and it would be a toss up between Bastian and Jacob, would pick Bastian all day long.

6 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Would depend again on the points limit. If going with only one 4.00 and it would be a toss up between Bastian and Jacob, would pick Bastian all day long.

I’d be happy with Jacob being back at Berwick, as would majority of Bandits fans I think, hopefully gets sorted somewhere in UK. Speaking of Borke, he impressed me at Shielfield.

Glasgow thread saying that Edinburgh rider rumoured to be at Ashfield next season. Anyone heard anything?

6 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Glasgow thread saying that Edinburgh rider rumoured to be at Ashfield next season. Anyone heard anything?

No, but wouldn’t surprise me if they were sniffing around borke.