British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, Gambo95 said:

CB252 is correct about them failing spectacularly last year against Bartosz.

I cannot see them even in the averages.

Failing spectacularly LOL

So their last season in the GP, Laguta and Emil came 1st and 3rd when 6 out of 10 events were in Poland. They then had to take a full year out (& for any athlete in any sport that is tremendously detrimental) . And they have come back and are easily in the top 10 riders in the world. Them not being in the series completely devalues it.

Bartosz is an absolutely brilliant rider, but he and the other Polish boys already has massive advantage over the rest of the field. 3+ GPs in Poland every year, the final round in Poland every year. Its completely unfair in all honesty. 

Now I'm sure people will say they all ride in Poland, well yes that's true. But the fact of the matter is home comforts and a home crowd are a massive advantage in any sport. That got Poland over the line in the SWC this year. Its why a very weak GB team took Poland all the way in the SWC in 2016 and why GB won SoN a couple of years ago despite their best rider getting injured on day 1. Not a chance that happens on Foreign soil. Plus its very well documented how much influence the Polish authorities have behind the scenes to make sure Poland stay on top.

Again, Bartosz is a Brilliant rider, one of the best to ever do it, but if it carries on like this just give him the title for the next 5 years and be done with it.

• Like 4

Zmarzlik is just a different gravy. They could race all the rounds away from Poland and he’d still win the series at a canter. 

He does what he has to when he has to do it. In the clutch there is no rider anywhere near as good as he is. 

League averages are a comparable metric of riders but very few people will give a toss who was top of the Polish averages in years to come. What they will care about is who won the world title. 

• Like 1

Well when his main 2  rivals in the competition have been removed it certainly helps

He's brilliant. But the fact of the matter is he also has a lot of advantages on his side too.

• Like 5

I can't see Magic getting a WC this year with Wozniak coming in, Dudek is in with more of a shout for me.

Bewley, Woffy and Doyle are certs

Laguta and Emil should be there but can't see it.

Thomsen- maybe due to that horrific crash in Riga but he was pretty poor up to then.

Fricke will be a victim of Aussie numbers with Doyle making the cut ,could both in mean an Aussie GP on the cards?

Dudek - more consistent than Magic this year, just and could sneak in as pick 4

Outside of those in it this year;

Rasmus Jensen - probably 1st or second reserve 

Becker - lively on the weekend but not ready as with Jensen would imagine he'll be high on the reserve list with Hancock's influence. 

Kolodzij - always flying in Poland but never seems to translate it at this level

Kubera/Pawlicki's etc will struggle with too many Poles already in the series

Lebedevs - seems to be a cert for a pick, not a fan personally. Always feels out of control.

Huckenback - great occasionally and would be a big shock.

Lidsey - in the same mould as Becker but lacks the Hancock/ single nation draw card.

Has there been an announcement saying when the wildcard picks will be made public?

16 minutes ago, DJC said:

I can't see Magic getting a WC this year with Wozniak coming in, Dudek is in with more of a shout for me.

Thomsen- maybe due to that horrific crash in Riga but he was pretty poor up to then.

Fricke will be a victim of Aussie numbers with Doyle making the cut ,could both in mean an Aussie GP on the cards?

Becker - lively on the weekend but not ready as with Jensen would imagine he'll be high on the reserve list with Hancock's influence. 

Kolodzij - always flying in Poland but never seems to translate it at this level

Lebedevs - seems to be a cert for a pick, not a fan personally. Always feels out of control.

Lidsey - in the same mould as Becker but lacks the Hancock/ single nation draw card.

Doyle doesn't need a pick

18 minutes ago, DJC said:

Not being picky here but Doyle didn't "make the cut" he won the GP Challenge so will be rightfully there.

1 minute ago, mc131 said:

DJC has made the same mistake as myself….. forgot Doyle won the Challenge and is straight in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OveFundinFan said:

DJC has made the same mistake as myself….. forgot Doyle won the Challenge and is straight in.

Yes, completely slipped my mind he was already in.

Point for Fricke still stands though

7 minutes ago, mc131 said:

5 minutes ago, andout said:

Not being picky here but Doyle didn't "make the cut" he won the GP Challenge so will be rightfully there.

Thanks for agreeing with the rest of my points and only picking up on the mistake! :)

What's gone on with the Russians almost adds to the mystique with Laguta.  He was phenomenal in 2021, but only just edged Zmarzlik out.  Would he have been able to raise his game to another level in 2022?

I can remember when Chris Holder won in 2012 that many were claiming he'd go on and win multiple titles - he never got remotely close again.

14 minutes ago, MattB said:

What's gone on with the Russians almost adds to the mystique with Laguta.  He was phenomenal in 2021, but only just edged Zmarzlik out.  Would he have been able to raise his game to another level in 2022?

I can remember when Chris Holder won in 2012 that many were claiming he'd go on and win multiple titles - he never got remotely close again.

In Holder's defense, he blew his best engine 1 race after clinching the title then broke his shoulder, hip and heel when sitting 3rd or 4th in the standings halfway through the following series. So little harsh on him...

What I want: Laguta, Sayfutdinov, Woffinden, Bewley, Fricke

What I expect: Woffinden, Bewley, Fricke, Dudek, Thomsen 

21 hours ago, OldHawk said:

I don't dislike Zmarzlik at all but I do feel his titles are lessened and here is why....

What if Gundersen had not had Nielsen (or vice versa) because the other was banned for no good reason and won 6 world titles. Or Olsen/Mauger. For sure it would have lessened the victories.

Here two of the three best riders in the world have been excluded for no reason which is the first time in speedway history.

And why no good reason:

1. They both left Russia before the war and settled in Poland becoming citizens

2. There is no justification for letting them ride domestically but not internationally.

This is a classic case of PC overriding common sense. The lack of these two has made the GP a farce and boring and left Bartoz with no real decent opponent measured over 10 rounds.

I haven't watched and wont watch another GP until these two are restored to their rightful place.

Bartoz is a really brilliant rider but any decent opposition has simply been removed.

Interesting you mention Nielsen and Gundersen. Their titles were all won against line-ups missing, for various reasons, Penhall, Lee, Carter and Sigalos, arguably the 4 other best riders of that era. Sanders and the Moran brothers also missed most of those finals.

• Like 1