British Speedway Forum

Anyone have any news on the league structure in UK speedway 2024?

In the  PL we  have  2 teams gone ..... lots of steam from the possible Brandon revival.

In the CL things seems to be in rude health - but for a shortage of quality riders. 

In the NDL question marks must be over the viability of at least a few clubs with so few fixtures now being staged.

With the " most important  Promoters' Conference in the history of the sport in the UK" to occur next month, I see no news of any forthcoming plans. 

Head in the sand by the BSPA ? or maybe they have a cunning plan :-)

58 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

In the  PL we  have  2 teams gone ..... lots of steam from the possible Brandon revival.

In the CL things seems to be in rude health - but for a shortage of quality riders. 

In the NDL question marks must be over the viability of at least a few clubs with so few fixtures now being staged.

With the " most important  Promoters' Conference in the history of the sport in the UK" to occur next month, I see no news of any forthcoming plans. 

Just as a matter of interest. How many meetings have you been to over all three leagues this season ?

• Like 1

As a mater of interest ..... 0 nada. and the season 2022 0 nada. 

Last meeting I attended was at Sittingbourne 2021.  Before that Eastbourne.  Before that  Lakeside.

Hope that helps you answer my questions ?

Every year its the most important for the sport, however there won't be any major shake up as the promoters are in it for themselves not the sport apart from a select few

Oxford or Birmingham to move up 

Workington potentially to move up

NDL will likely struggle so something will need to be done there 

Most things are already agreed for 2024 next month just rubber stamps things, expect minimal changes 

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

BSPA will bury their heads in the sand then wonder why there are only 5 teams registered for the top league come March, then they may do something at that point when it’s far too late.

33 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

As a mater of interest ..... 0 nada. and the season 2022 0 nada. 

Last meeting I attended was at Sittingbourne 2021.  Before that Eastbourne.  Before that  Lakeside.

Hope that helps you answer my questions ?

I thought that would be the case. 

55 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Every year its the most important for the sport, however there won't be any major shake up as the promoters are in it for themselves not the sport apart from a select few

Oxford or Birmingham to move up 

Workington potentially to move up

NDL will likely struggle so something will need to be done there 

Most things are already agreed for 2024 next month just rubber stamps things, expect minimal changes 

For me the NDL needs to be scrapped in favour of compulsory running of 2nd half junior matches, a protected place for a "junior" rider position in a reserve berth of the senior team, with the same reserve also competing in the junior match. Those teams that run exclusively in the NDL to go CL or NORA

• Like 2

I can’t see anything other than the creation of one league; no more Premiership and Championship because the volume of clubs simply isn’t there.

Supporting a Premiership team this season must have been a nightmare for variety, playing the same teams every four or so weeks. Can you imagine that in a five-man league?

25 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

It will be a different year, but the same old schitte,, with many rules bent and twisted 

Those in charge had the opportunity following the pandemic to make some serious changes but they failed to get a grip and as usual it stumbles from one year to the next with the same old crap. Why can’t those who own clubs and rarely make a decent return recognise that the current set up is not working nor does it or will it attract new fans  and is doomed to fail without some serious changes. The club owners have collectively not done anything to stop fans deserting in droves over the last decade and still does not even register as a pimple on the arse of the media who frankly turned their collective backs on the sport a long while back and even local coverage is tailing off.

I don’t think anyone on this forum can understand the attitude of the powers that be and given these owners are the custodians of the sport, if they are unwilling to protect its interests, can they publicly explain why and why they have managed to drag the sport down to the level that it finds itself in.

Not one of those promoters/owners who run clubs have the balls to come on here and explain why they have allowed the sport to almost reach its nadir. If they cannot cope with a forum use the Speedway Star to enter into a debate and explain their collective rationale and before anyone says the owners are not solely to blame and riders have an impact, yes that is true but they are employees and could be managed but again the clubs do not deal with the issues because they are ineffective managers.

Brummies moving up

workington moving up hopefully

no NDL sadly 

that’s my thinking 

14 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Brummies moving up

workington moving up hopefully

no NDL sadly 

that’s my thinking 

Hasnt the Brummies future been in doubt for a while now,,, and if Worky move all the way up that's fantastic,,, another excellent track. The biggest issue is do these teams have big enough fan bases to absorb the extra costs,,

Edited by Baldyman

8 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Hasnt the Brummies future been in doubt for a while now,,, and if Worky move all the way up that's fantastic,,, another excellent track. The biggest issue is do these teams have big enough fan bases to absorb the extra costs,,

Worky going into champ I mean. 

brummies can only race on Mondays next season 

I think the team building average will be raised to so we see better teams 

I believe that at a recent fans forum at Birmingham, the fans were told that there is an 80% probability that Birmingham will run next season, and if they do it will be in the Premiership as the only available race night will be Monday.

They also said that there was a 20% chance that they will not run at all,