British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheWellBehavedWorrall

Dream Team

Inspired somewhat by @Barrow Boy 2’s topic about his ‘Top 20’, who is your dream team? Your one to seven, plus team manager if you would like to include one.

It doesn’t have to be the best riders, it just has to be your favourites, so if everyone wants to include James Grieves, that’s fine.

I’ll have a think about mine, then post it later.

1. Nicki Pedersen An incredible talent. You could tell when he arrived on these shores in ‘98 with Newcastle that he was destined for the top.

2. Carl Stonehewer Arguably the Premier League/Championship’s greatest ever rider, especially with Workington between 2000 and 2003 when he was also a GP rider.

3. Shane Parker The most entertaining rider I’ve ever saw, by a significant distance. His ability to protect younger, less experienced teams mates to ensure a 5-1 was the most skilful thing I’ve ever saw in speedway.

4. Brian Andersen The smoothest rider I’ve ever saw, narrowly beating Leigh Adams in that category. He would have looked more stressed ironing than riding a speedway bike.

5. Peter Carr I’m a Glasgow fan and this guy broke my heart, but what a rider, especially around Armadale. He had this line coming off the second bend (now the fourth bend) that no-one could stop.

6. Simon Stead I’m amazed this guy didn’t go further or win more. He had talent in abundance. I used to love watching him and was certain he would reach the GPs, maybe even compete.

7. James Grieves The top boy. The legend. The best rider on this list. The housewives favourite. The man who battered Robert Eriksson, Stefan Danno and Frede Schott with one hand preoccupied with a protein shake. 

• Like 2

In no particular order...

1. Hans Nielsen for his leadership qualities.

2. Garry Middleton for his brashness and ability to wind up the oppostion.

3. Dag Lovaas who was just poetry on a bike.

4. Gordon Kennett for his battling qualities and ability to pass where others feared to venture.

5. Jens Rasmussen for his total commitment and braveness.

6. Marek Cieslak who was a sight to behold round Wood Lane during his debut season there.

7. Kai Niemi who was a solid dependable rider who should have achieved more.

Amongst those I would have liked to have included would be Hasse Holmqvist, Ulf Lovaas, George Hunter, Simon Wigg etc etc

Trouble is tomorrow my list would probably read differently!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Just now, steve roberts said:

Garry Middleton for his brashness and ability to wind up the oppostion.

Oh, you don't like that from BSF posters, though? :rofl:

Good call with Cieslak...

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Oh, you don't like that from BSF posters, though? :rofl:

Good call with Cieslak...

I shall resist commenting on that one!!

Tommy knudsen 

david Bargh

john jorgensen

rick miller

kevin tatum

david clarke

andy hackett

1987 bees league winners reserves were pants but the top five was brilliant.

A real dream team 

• Like 1

1. Jason Crump - Aggressive riding style and first real superstar i watched.. 

2. Emil Sayfutdinov - Love his riding style 

3. Nicki Pedersen - I always enjoyed the controversy. Give me him over someone like Hancock any day  

4. Tai Woffinden - Saw him as a 15 year old and followed him ever since

5. Shawn Moran - 1990 world final i was 5 but remember being gutted he lost 

6. Martin Goodwin - first meeting was at Rye House and he scored a max 

7. Todd Wiltshire - again that 1990 world final 

• Like 1

1 Ronnie Moore

2 Peter Craven

3 Teo Teodorowicz

4 Steve Schofield

5 Martin Goodwin

6 Gordon Kennett

7 Danny Ayres

Team Manager Len Silver

Promoter Johnnie Hoskins

• Like 2

Ray Bales , Bob Garrad , Mark Loram ,PeterCollins , Mike Lee ,.Magnus Zetterstrom ,JoeScreen ,manager RonBagley. All spectacular riders

• Like 1

23 hours ago, naffer said:

Tommy knudsen 

david Bargh

john jorgensen

rick miller

kevin tatum

david clarke

andy hackett

1987 bees league winners reserves were pants but the top five was brilliant.

A real dream team 

Oxford's 1986 "All conquering" team was something special...Nielsen, Wigg, Cox, Grahame, Sorensen, De'Ath and Surman. Each rider brought something to the side and complimented each other. My favourite Oxford team for obvious reasons.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Some great teams over the years

didnt Hackney have a team that went unbeaten ,might be wrong

sheffield had a great team in the seventies

bob valentine 

reg wilson

Doug wyer

rick france

bob paulson

arnold haley

bengt Larson

i think they all averaged 7+

in the spirit of a dream team of performances at Brandon over the years of opposition riders only ,who never rode for the bees either.

ray wilson

dag lovaas

bo Petersen

ivan mauger

barry briggs

anders michanek

Peter collins

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 6:50 PM, steve roberts said:

1. Hans Nielsen for his leadership qualities.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:57 PM, phillipsr said:

1. Jason Crump - Aggressive riding style and first real superstar i watched.. 

Both of these are speedway caviar.

On 10/1/2023 at 10:36 PM, Chris116 said:

4 Steve Schofield

5 Martin Goodwin

Both of these were coming to the end of their careers when I first saw them, but I’ve heard a lot of good things regarding how good they were in their day.

16 hours ago, big wilson said:

Mark Loram, JoeScreen

More speedway caviar.

Loram winning the world title without winning a GP in the series was the definition of consistency. He was frightening in the early 00s.

Maybe I’m getting old, but as outstanding as the Torun GP was on Saturday, the field Loram became world champion ahead of was miles ahead of it; Hamill, Hancock, Rickardsson, Crump, Gollob, Louis, Adams, etc. These guys were averaging 9.50+ across two or three domestic leagues per-year.

I’d say Joe Screen is the second most entertaining rider I’ve ever saw, just behind Shane Parker. Two proper characters, too. I’m sure they’re good friends, as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Both of these are speedway caviar.

Both of these were coming to the end of their careers when I first saw them, but I’ve heard a lot of good things regarding how good they were in their day.

More speedway caviar.

Loram winning the world title without winning a GP in the series was the definition of consistency. He was frightening in the early 00s.

Maybe I’m getting old, but as outstanding as the Torun GP was on Saturday, the field Loram became world champion ahead of was miles ahead of it; Hamill, Hancock, Rickardsson, Crump, Gollob, Louis, Adams, etc. These guys were averaging 9.50+ across two or three domestic leagues per-year.

I’d say Joe Screen is the second most entertaining rider I’ve ever saw, just behind Shane Parker. Two proper characters, too. I’m sure they’re good friends, as well.

The first time I saw Joe Screen ride was as a fifteen year old during "demonstration races" with, if I'm right, Paul Dugard (now there was a wasted talent) at the 1988 Golden Greats Meeting at Coventry.

• Like 1

Just now, steve roberts said:

The first time I saw Joe Screen ride was as a fifteen year old during "demonstration races" with, if I'm right, Paul Dugard (now there was a wasted talent) at the 1988 Golden Greats Meeting at Coventry.

Was Paul related to Martin Dugard?

3 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Was Paul related to Martin Dugard?

Yes he was part of the Dugard Dynasty....

Grandfather Charlie

Father Bob

Uncles John and Eric

Brother Martin

They all rode speedway at one time or another. I believe Martin has a son who tried speedway?

• Like 1