British Speedway Forum
Hooky

Sheffield Tigers 2024

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Think other clubs without the financial backing to go top heavy, will see Sheffield’s reserves as an area to exploit by going strength in depth with a strong number 6. Well they don’t have much choice really, but they’ll see that as a way of competing. As eye catching as our (Ipswich) team looked at first glance last year, our tail caught us out far too often. Let’s have it right, if Morris hadn’t have derailed Leicester’s season, we were finishing 5th in a 7 team league and not even making the play offs. Yes the Riss issue didn’t help and if he’d not had issues and rode to his average, we may have won meetings we lost narrowly but still, having a weak tail is and will be a concern. 

Home form will be strong of course, but I think both Woffinden and C Holder will be flaky away from Sheffield, and Howarth and Pickering aren’t great travellers either so that coupled with the weak tail could see them struggle on the road. 

Let’s have it right, Ipswich’s tail end looked miles weaker than this Sheffield team for next season and I have no doubt they will have another much weaker tail end again next year.

If Jack Holder rides like he was before he got injured last season I think he has it in him to get his average to around 9.5 and Woffinden looked like a world beater before he crashed out of the British GP.

Everyone knows Chris Holders ability, people need to remember he came back from a broken neck last season before he joined Sheffield. He will have even more to give next season I think, in a team where he’s going to be 100% fully fit, riding with his brother and lads he gets on very well with.

Pickering has the ability to push be a number 5 if he goes the right way about it, he will keep the heat leaders on their toes. Think he’s going to have a big season next year in Poland as well as UK. 

Not much needs to be said about Howarth. 100% commitment on and off the bike, would have a 6.7 average without his bonus points last season so that speaks for itself. 

The 2 young lads look a big risk at reserve, but the strength of the top 5 should take a bit of pressure off their backs slightly and with the likes of Steady and Woffy with them, I’m sure they will improve more and more. 

Hard to compare when no other team has  made any announcements (only Basso at KL), never mind a full 7. But I believe we will see Ipswich and Belle Vue (maybe more) going the same way with 2 young British lads in at reserve. 

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

@AceBelle looks a right idiot now 

Indeed. I am blocked by this person on twitter, even though I have no idea who they are 

With Dan and Jason both being RS's can Sheffield not look at each meeting and declare who rides at 6 or 7... they can then base it on who rides well at what tracks and who they ride against in opposition meeting by meeting.

21 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Let’s have it right, Ipswich’s tail end looked miles weaker than this Sheffield team for next season and I have no doubt they will have another much weaker tail end again next year.

If Jack Holder rides like he was before he got injured last season I think he has it in him to get his average to around 9.5 and Woffinden looked like a world beater before he crashed out of the British GP.

Everyone knows Chris Holders ability, people need to remember he came back from a broken neck last season before he joined Sheffield. He will have even more to give next season I think, in a team where he’s going to be 100% fully fit, riding with his brother and lads he gets on very well with.

Pickering has the ability to push be a number 5 if he goes the right way about it, he will keep the heat leaders on their toes. Think he’s going to have a big season next year in Poland as well as UK. 

Not much needs to be said about Howarth. 100% commitment on and off the bike, would have a 6.7 average without his bonus points last season so that speaks for itself. 

The 2 young lads look a big risk at reserve, but the strength of the top 5 should take a bit of pressure off their backs slightly and with the likes of Steady and Woffy with them, I’m sure they will improve more and more. 

Hard to compare when no other team has  made any announcements (only Basso at KL), never mind a full 7. But I believe we will see Ipswich and Belle Vue (maybe more) going the same way with 2 young British lads in at reserve. 

I’m not sure it was “miles weaker”. Both Dan Thompson and Danyon Hume averaged more than both Gilkes and Edwards last year over all meetings. Ipswich’ tail was certainly weaker than Sheffield’s will be this year on the whole granted, as Rew struggled and made it a bottom three, which won’t be the case with Sheffield with their weakest member of the top 5 (Howarth) certainly stronger than Rew was last year. 

On your point about predicting Ipswich will again have a much weaker tail end than Sheffield next year, we’ll have to wait and see on that. 

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I’m not sure it was “miles weaker”. Both Dan Thompson and Danyon Hume averaged more than both Gilkes and Edwards last year over all meetings. Ipswich’ tail was certainly weaker than Sheffield’s will be this year on the whole granted, as Rew struggled and made it a bottom three, which won’t be the case with Sheffield with their weakest member of the top 5 (Howarth) certainly stronger than Rew was last year. 

On your point about predicting Ipswich will again have a much weaker tail end than Sheffield next year, we’ll have to wait and see on that. 

You’re correct, Dan Thompson did outperform both Gilkes and Edwards last year, comfortably better than Edwards in particular. Ipswich’ number 6 will be the pivotal signing for them and determine which of the two sides look to have the longer tail. If Rew is included at Ipswich, it will also depend on how much if any progress he makes this coming season. I personally think Rew will up his current 4 point average more than Howarth will up his current average but time will tell on that one. 

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Personally I think Rew has alot of improvement to come, he had a good season in general. Howarth has no improvement left so Rew could well be good value on his current average

• Like 1

Just now, foreverblue said:

Personally I think Rew has alot of improvement to come, he had a good season in general. Howarth has no improvement left so Rew could well be good value on his current average

I tend to agree, his talent is obvious but we didn’t see it too often this season. If he returns, I’m quietly confident he’ll enjoy a much better second season. Anyway, Sheffield thread this one ;) 

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I tend to agree, his talent is obvious but we didn’t see it too often this season. If he returns, I’m quietly confident he’ll enjoy a much better second season. Anyway, Sheffield thread this one ;) 

Yes it is a Sheffield thread but it was related as Howarth was being compared to Rew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psycho3a said:

With Dan and Jason both being RS's can Sheffield not look at each meeting and declare who rides at 6 or 7... they can then base it on who rides well at what tracks and who they ride against in opposition meeting by meeting.

1) they can't do that initially, as Gilkes at 6 puts them over the points limit. 

2) I'm guessing a team could re-declare throughout the season to swap the RS about, but they can't pick & choose per meeting, the declared RS would be at 7.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Has Pickering got a place in Poland yet?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

No

• Thanks 1

Quite happy that these 2 lads are at reserve. I hope Gilkes comes back fully fit and was impressed with Edwards in the meetings he did for us. With the team average been increased would it not be an ideal time for all teams to have 2 up and coming reserves ? More races against each other plus racing against higher average riders too. Just a thought. 

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Strand out signing for sure - when  he came in last season he was in my view on the reasons they won - he was so good at Owlerton! I remember him reeling off three straight wins in the match V Belle Vue

Gilkes rode well before his injury at home, can't comment on away as I don't think I saw him ride away from home. At Owlerton tho he was decent and on the pace.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

50 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Nothing confirmed but I think it’s pretty obvious he will be signing for a team over there 

5 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

A very good team in paper and will make play offs easily. 

but don’t think they as good as a lot are saying. Not a lot of improvement in that team except jack and the reserves. Pickering maybe 

3 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

Very true. Can't fault the top 5 but not much improvement. Let's see what the rest of the teams look like.

I've seen similar comments on the Kings Lynn thread about lack of improvement in their (proposed) top 5. But remember this is a strong league, the average team should have ended 2023 with a 42 limit, so 40+3 or 40+4, means every club / rider could drop their average without getting any worse.

Having riders who can ride to their averages, which Sheffield look to have, could be what's needed to win the league. Especially of this team looks capable of 55+ points at home & 40+ points away.