British Speedway Forum
chunky

Who COULD Have Been a Major Force in World Speedway?

Following on from the discussion about Mike Bast, who (from years gone by) could have become a true great, had they ridden in Britain? Or at least come to Britain earlier than they did?

Okay, he was a great rider as it was, but how much better could Edward Jancarz have been, had he started riding in the UK in the late 70's? Staying with the Eastern European, what about Gennady Kurilenko? Or even Igor Plechanov?

I know why he didn't, but what if Egon Muller have stayed when he first tried out?

One American I would loved to have seen here was Jeff Sexton.

I think there were a number of Russians in the 1960s who would probably have benefited from riding for British clubs.

As well as Plechanov and Kurilenko, there were Boris Samorodov, Gab Kadirov, Yuri Chekranov and Vladimir Sokolov to name a few.

Edited by norbold

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I think there were a number of Russians in the 1960s who would probably have benefited from riding for British clubs.

As well as Plechanov and Kurilenko, there was Boris Samorodov, Gab Kadirov, Yuri Chekranov and Vladimir Sokolov to name a few.

A little later I know, but there was also Valeri Klementiev, who lost his life way too young...

Interesting that you would mention Sokolov, as he is largely forgotten. I do agree though, he was certainly capable of making a huge impact.

Edited by chunky

9 hours ago, chunky said:

Following on from the discussion about Mike Bast, who (from years gone by) could have become a true great, had they ridden in Britain? Or at least come to Britain earlier than they did?

Okay, he was a great rider as it was, but how much better could Edward Jancarz have been, had he started riding in the UK in the late 70's? Staying with the Eastern European, what about Gennady Kurilenko? Or even Igor Plechanov?

I know why he didn't, but what if Egon Muller have stayed when he first tried out?

One American I would loved to have seen here was Jeff Sexton.

Oxford made a move to sign him in 1974(?) but it didn't amount to anything...think it was management statement to appease the fans at the time?

Dave Jessup seemed to miss out on a lot due to mechanical gremlins. Certainly  in some of the footage I’ve seen anyway.

Edited by Deano

4 hours ago, Deano said:

Dave Jessup seemed to miss out on a lot due to mechanical gremlins. Certainly  in some of the footage I’ve seen anyway.

Simmo summed him up in his book...DJ would cut corners to save money and it proved costly more than once.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Deano said:

should have been a double world champion

4 minutes ago, ch958 said:

That he didn't is the biggest regret of my speedway life! I saw his first ever public race at West Ham. It was a special junior match race between him, aged 15, and Barry Thomas, aged 16. Barry won, but I thought Dave looked really classy for a 15 year old having his first race and I said to my friend, "He"ll be world champion one day."  But, of course, he never was!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ch958 said:

If the 1980 World Championship had been run on GP lines he may well have been champion rather than Michael Lee? DJ dominated the qualifying rounds if I recall?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

If the 1980 World Championship had been run on GP lines he may well have been champion rather than Michael Lee? DJ dominated the qualifying rounds if I recall?

He won the British Semi Final at Sheffield, the British Final, the Commonwealth Final and came 6th in the Intercontinental Final.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I think he would hsve done. Scored a max in the world pairs final as well iiirc, and was favourite for the final. Drew two heats in gate 3 which scored only around 19pts all night...always needed a little luck to be world champ, and he never had it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deano said:

78 world final it maybe cost him the title. And cost him probably a silver medal in 81

In the GP era, I would say Ryan Sullivan, Mikael Max/Karlsson, Andreas Jonsson might all reflect they could have done better. All were capable. In the 1980s, Dennis Sigalos was at least on a par with Nielsen and Gundersen before a career-ending injury.

I'd also pick out Lance King as another who could have done better. Great first season in UK in 82, World Finalist in 83, one ride from the title in 84 and third place, he looked destined to be a major force for years. But I think the averages did for him, when Cradley had to pick between him and Gundersen and his career just seemed to lose momentum after that. I think if he would have had that settled base at Cradley like Penhall before him and Gundersen, Hamill and Hancock, then he would have done a lot better than he ultimately did.

At a lower level, I think Mark Courtney had all the ability, but not the application. As for Dave Jessup, I agree with Simmo on the engine failures, it was too frequent on big occasions to be down to pure bad luck (78 WF, 81 WFx2, 82 WF, 81 WTC, 83 WTC). And if he HAD won his first ride in 78, would he have held it together for the rest of the meeting? I don't know...when he did win his crucial first ride in 1980 against Lee, he dropped points thereafter.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Andy Downes said:

I think Toni Kasper Jr would have achieved more if he had had more than 1 1/2 seasons in the British League

I certainly think he would have achieved more had he not broken his leg...