British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

OK, so no Joe T then, but I think that makes the team weaker with Zach as 3rd heat leader.

I think there is more improvement in Zach and Toby as 2nd strings than Anders and Kyle.    Just my opinion.

Yes just my opinion Kyle and Rowe would be better, Tom could make up for Tobias overall but we still need Tobias to score points against his opposing number 2.

24 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Haha, knew you would say that.

Lol, well can't imagine saying it about someone you like ;) We all have riders we are not fans of. 

Just found this link for Tobias Thomsen from a meeting in Summer 23. Was round 8 of the Div 1 Championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyLXCdCwj

If you can cut though the adverts worth seeing if you speed up between racing. He appears in the first race and wins. Shame he had bike problems at the tapes just before last race and had to switch to his second (and definitely slower) second bike. Was fast out the gate in his races, which with Poole favoring gaters, could be an advantage when he is racing against some of the other lower point riders.

Maybe it was this meeting that the Ford's saw what he could achieve in a weaker Champ in UK in 2024.

I may have been a bit harsh earlier, but we will see.

1 minute ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Just found this link for Tobias Thomsen from a meeting in Summer 23. Was round 8 of the Div 1 Championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyLXCdCwj

If you can cut though the adverts worth seeing if you speed up between racing. He appears in the first race and wins. Shame he had bike problems at the tapes just before last race and had to switch to his second (and definitely slower) second bike. Was fast out the gate in his races, which with Poole favoring gaters, could be an advantage when he is racing against some of the other lower point riders.

Maybe it was this meeting that the Ford's saw what he could achieve in a weaker Champ in UK in 2024.

I may have been a bit harsh earlier, but we will see.

You can't sign someone on the basis of one meeting, I hope I am wrong about him, time will tell.

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Lol, well can't imagine saying it about someone you like ;) We all have riders we are not fans of. 

I have never met him, I don't like or dislike him, while he races for my team he has my full support, he isn't the problem, Tobias is the problem.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

You can't sign someone on the basis of one meeting, I hope I am wrong about him, time will tell.

I'm sure the Fords haven't made the decision based on 1 meeting, they will have had recommendations from contacts in Denmark, they would have looked at his performance over the whole season, etc 

I have never met him, I don't like or dislike him, while he races for my team he has my full support, he isn't the problem, Tobias is the problem.

Tobias is potentially the problem if he doesn't ride to his average, but he isn't the problem before a wheel has been turned.

6 hours ago, PTW said:

Think tbh we will see from the first 6-7 weeks how good he is,we still have an option to get someone before his average went down if that is the case you would imagine,think the top 4 is strong enough to win us matches just the million dollar question will Tobias hold his own…

5 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Will his average go down?   Won't he be stuck at 4.00 forever?

Thomsen can't drop below 4.00, which should suit Poole tbh. If he's awful, they can replace him with another 4.00 rider (& repeat till they find a good one).

Even if he's riding to a 3.00 ave & Hagon goes up to 3.99, Hagon could replace him in every match as he'd still be at reserve!

24 minutes ago, daz9100 said:

I'm sure the Fords haven't made the decision based on 1 meeting, they will have had recommendations from contacts in Denmark, they would have looked at his performance over the whole season, etc 

No of course not, they will have based on contacts and their own views on his ability but it seems a hopeful signing.

18 minutes ago, poole keith said:

He's a 4pt rider in a poor league ,should be some close racing next season tho ,which will be good 

He rides in a poor league now, I think the Championship is a level above Danish div 2

26 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Tobias is potentially the problem if he doesn't ride to his average, but he isn't the problem before a wheel has been turned.

Yes the problem is potential at the moment, Tobias has the potential to be better than I expect.

Yes the problem is potential at the moment, Tobias has the potential to be better than I expect.

If his gating is consistently good it will certainly help. To quote Danny's own words in the Echo he stated:

“I’ve been watching his meetings from last year as much as I can, on YouTube and stuff, and he’s certainly got the gating gloves, which I feel will help him massively

He also stated that he has improved as a rider over the last few years since we last saw him in UK. Time will tell, but let's hope that's the case. The reality is that much as i would love to have seen a potential young future World/GP Star, the Champ is now a weaker Lge than it ever was with the 38 point limit and with so many young/inexperienced and also not so great riders lower down. You don't need to be a star to score decent points if you can gate consistently well.

I'm slowly talking myself round to accepting him ;).

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
Typos
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

If his gating is consistently good it will certainly help. To quote Danny's own words in the Echo he stated:

“I’ve been watching his meetings from last year as much as I can, on YouTube and stuff, and he’s certainly got the gating gloves, which I feel will help him massively

He also stated that he has improved as a rider over the last few years since we last saw him in UK. Time will tell, but let's hope that's the case. The reality is that much as i would love to have seen a potential young future World/GP Star, the Champ is now a weaker Lge than it ever was with the 38 point limit and with so many young/inexperienced and also not so great riders lower down. You don't need to be a star to score decent points if you can gate consistently well.

I'm slowly talking myself round to accepting him ;).

Loving all this admittance that Poole is mainly a gate and go track……lol

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, PTW said:

I get the impression that the Tom Brennan move caught them out and were scrambling to find a 4pt rider as they had already committed to Sam Hagon and Max Perry just as a guess….

10 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yes it seems that way. I have zero faith in Tobias doing anything. It has been said Brennan availability was a surprise and a no brainer, bet they did not bank on getting a Danish rider of very limited ability. Our reserves are going to be very busy.

Can't say signing Brennan is a "no brainer" while Brennan should improve, I don't think the improvement will be so massive it's worth signing him regardless of who they'd  find as the 7th signing.