British Speedway Forum

35 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I would have gone with that! Rowe break through season, Newman reliable and knows every track. Reserves decent. 

Brennan is capable of improving but what we gain there we could lose with the Dane.

As for Thomsen, he is a 4 pointer and won’t make or break our season. Our top 4 are the best 4 in the league, no doubt about it. Our reserves match most clubs. Time will tell for next season but if he fails to at least score his average he won’t last long. 

Agree with you there Steve, the good thing is Thomsen cannot drop below 4  so he can be changed during the season or I have got it wrong and he turns out to be a good signing.

2 hours ago, Catalan said:

Not quite correct.

It is something that was decided as good manners by promoters not to run before 3.

Was never a problem many years ago, when I went to that school i remember looking out the window watching the Russians tearing around the carpark 

Two thoughts:

I think Thomsen is a poor signing.

Of the 5 completed teams, I think Poole look the strongest.

9 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Was never a problem many years ago, when I went to that school i remember looking out the window watching the Russians tearing around the carpark 

Same here remember being in one of the classrooms where you could hear the bikes but looking out of the window all we could see was the railway line.

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Two thoughts:

I think Thomsen is a poor signing.

Of the 5 completed teams, I think Poole look the strongest.

I think they look slightly weaker than Redcar and Oxford, on a par with Glasgow and stronger than Plymouth (as all will be I suspect).

Hagon the key man for me.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think they look slightly weaker than Redcar and Oxford, on a par with Glasgow and stronger than Plymouth (as all will be I suspect).

I agree with that, Hagon will do well, probably one of the best two pointers in this league.

Thought Max Perry would be nailed on to go back to Leicester NDL this year to compliment his signing for Poole. Was surprised he was omitted and seen no signs of him signing for anyone in NDL up North or Edinb where some still have some places open.

Also can't say I've seen any news on the Youth Development side from Poole where all Clubs are supposed to either lay on teams or sort out racing for these guys (pre or after meetings) on their own track if they are not tracking a team (which Poole have not declared they intend to).

Anyone have any ideas on where Max may end up or if Poole are planning anything for young riders ?

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Oxford have a stronger top 2, but Poole's 3&4 are far far better than Oxford's, which is why I've rated them higher. Both teams have potential at 6&7. 

Redcar's top 2 on a par with Poole, but once again Poole's 3/4 is a fair bit stronger than Redcar's. Similar reserves, but think Poole's have more potential for improvement. Redcar's biggest gain is Edwards vs Thomsen.

As for Glasgow, you could argue they've got 4 reserves, whereas Poole only have 3 lol!

32 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Oxford have a stronger top 2, but Poole's 3&4 are far far better than Oxford's, which is why I've rated them higher. Both teams have potential at 6&7. 

Redcar's top 2 on a par with Poole, but once again Poole's 3/4 is a fair bit stronger than Redcar's. Similar reserves, but think Poole's have more potential for improvement. Redcar's biggest gain is Edwards vs Thomsen.

As for Glasgow, you could argue they've got 4 reserves, whereas Poole only have 3 lol!

Can’t really disagree with the Glasgow bit…….someone’s going to have to improve big time. 

Edited by ragdoll64

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Thought Max Perry would be nailed on to go back to Leicester NDL this year to compliment his signing for Poole. Was surprised he was omitted and seen no signs of him signing for anyone in NDL up North or Edinb where some still have some places open.

Also can't say I've seen any news on the Youth Development side from Poole where all Clubs are supposed to either lay on teams or sort out racing for these guys (pre or after meetings) on their own track if they are not tracking a team (which Poole have not declared they intend to).

Anyone have any ideas on where Max may end up or if Poole are planning anything for young riders ?

Sure I read somewhere that his 2023 average rules him out.

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Sure I read somewhere that his 2023 average rules him out.

His average only ruled him out because Leicester kept Joe T. Shame a rider who really needs NL racing left out, rather than a rider who's riding in the Prem.

Could certainly hinder Max's Poole scores, not many riders race Champ only in their first season stepping up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I think Oxford's two reserves and Mulford will all end up with higher averages than Poole's pair. Trigger will be better than Perry and won't be far behind Hagon. Redcar's top two look stronger than Poole's to me although Ben Cook could be one the biggest improvers in the league. Poole obviously have the best 3&4 by some distance but I think their bottom end will be a major issue. 

As for Glasgow, I think Starke & Pearson could both flourish and they'll need to. Pjiper really should improve a fair bit too.

Aren't opinions great :D

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think Oxford's two reserves and Mulford will all end up with higher averages than Poole's pair. Trigger will be better than Perry and won't be far behind Hagon. Redcar's top two look stronger than Poole's to me although Ben Cook could be one the biggest improvers in the league. Poole obviously have the best 3&4 by some distance but I think their bottom end will be a major issue. 

As for Glasgow, I think Starke & Pearson could both flourish and they'll need to. Pjiper really should improve a fair bit too.

Aren't opinions great :D

Everything you've said could come true, that's the beauty of pre-season predictions, we don't have to agree.

Based on NL scores, I'd say you're opinion of Trigger vs Poole reserves is most likely to be wrong.

17 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Everything you've said could come true, that's the beauty of pre-season predictions, we don't have to agree.

Based on NL scores, I'd say you're opinion of Trigger vs Poole reserves is most likely to be wrong.

You could be right, but he had a whole season of Championship racing last year which will stand him in good stead. 

36 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

His average only ruled him out because Leicester kept Joe T. Shame a rider who really needs NL racing left out, rather than a rider who's riding in the Prem.

Could certainly hinder Max's Poole scores, not many riders race Champ only in their first season stepping up.

Well of course we can't rule out Ford's plans as per his big statement of 18/11 Which quotes from his own words:

Ford said "it is a big step forward with the emphasis on youth development as we all know how important this is for the sustainability of the sport. All Championship and Premiership clubs will be participating in mandatory youth development on a tiered system. Our specific participation as to which tier we will be taking is yet to be decided but we are committed to the programme and that means there will be more youth opportunities at Poole for the 2024 season  and hopefully our supporters will get behind this and enjoy the development of the sports future.

I await the statement on what these commitments will be for ||Poole which perhaps may explain why Max is not signed up elsewhere. Haven't heard a peep about this subject since he said it but plenty of time to maximise press coverage about plans like they normally do. I assume he wasn't referring to Hagon/Perry as reserves which I assumed is separate. (That was partly forced on teams due to lower points limit).

Of course still some places left but surprising such a future talent not snapped up so far, unless one of the teams holding back news.