British Speedway Forum

14 hours ago, crescent girl said:

If Max is good enough (and l very much believe he is, no question) he won't be on the sidelines too long..... 

It's not a question of Max being "good enough" he did "too well" last year so has been dropped. Not exactly a great advertisement for a "development league" - develop & you get left without a team, stay where you are & you'll get signed again!

14 hours ago, Pumpy said:

Must admit , I support the new rules

for the NDL and excluding some

better riders , but it does seem bonkers that some

talented riders are left without a place . Some

fine tuning needed I think

The problem with using solely averages, is it means dropping riders who are developing & signing riders who will never make it to Champ level. Neither supports the future of British Speedway

15 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Must say I am surprised our new young and exciting prospect Max Perry has not been signed by a NDL club for 2024. The av left at the clubs with places to fill indicate he won't have a starting slot.

Can't believe its his injury/fitness issue as would think Poole wouldn't have signed him. Although chances are he was already pencilled in well  before season ended and his injury. (Although he has said he would be fit for start of 24.

Maybe he is party to information on all the teams not participating in racing NDL squads putting on plenty of Individual meetings or second half events to keep his calendar filled to supplement his Poole appearances.

The only problem with the new NLDR series is that it is supposed to be open to the top 2 riders from each club in the NDL. (as per below statement). If he isn't signed to a team how does he get in ??. Unless as a Wild Card as 6 teams x 2 riders is only 12 so will need another 4 and that's also excluding any fixture clashes.

The National League Riders’ Development Series will be a series of stand-alone Individual events open to the top two available riders from each club.

Even the likes of Boughen & Killeen have 2 clubs each (Boughen in Prem & Champ). (Killeen in NDL 7 Champ).

Any thoughts ?

Max, really should have a NL place for his development, I can't remember the last time a promising NL rider stepped up to the Prem without doubling up for at least one season (by choice, not talking about the Lambert's or Bridger's who chose to leave NL after one season).

I hope the individual series isn't restricted to NL riders only, as that would mean Joe T could ride in all 3 leagues & get extra individual meetings, but Max P who is eligible for the NL would be blocked from riding in the Individuals as he's not got a NL team.

Which is what I kind of expect to happen, as it's usually the BSPL policy to have a half baked idea & not think it through / consider the downsides?

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Such a shame that some don't seem to know the difference or choose to attack the poster rather than the post!

Quite agree. Unfortunately people seems to get bored in the winter months and bicker quite a bit on here, I've done it myself  :oops:

Personally I think posts should be welcomed from anyone on any thread as long as its polite and doesn’t get personal, makes for a much more interesting forum. 

11 hours ago, foreverblue said:

That is complete twaddle, we got good crowds, it is just cheaper to run a Championship team.

so the Fords lied when they said it then 

30 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

so the Fords lied when they said it then 

No I do not think they ever said that, they said they preferred to run Wednesday as it gives more flexibility and it is a business and has to be run as a business. It is clear that Championship speedway is cheaper to run with obvious savings on riders wages.

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

It's not a question of Max being "good enough" he did "too well" last year so has been dropped. Not exactly a great advertisement for a "development league" - develop & you get left without a team, stay where you are & you'll get signed again!

But when do you say "he's developed" - there has to be a point at sometime when you say "he's too good for a "Development" league."

IF the NDL was the same as before, then yes the likes of Max, Adam Roynon, Lee Complin etc., etc., should/could be involved, but, for me, they are all beyond the "developing" stage and shouldn't be anywhere near the NDL in it's current form.

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

No I do not think they ever said that, they said they preferred to run Wednesday as it gives more flexibility and it is a business and has to be run as a business. It is clear that Championship speedway is cheaper to run with obvious savings on riders wages.

They did say crowds were down on a Thursday compared to a Weds. But it wasn't the only reason for dropping down They also said running Championship reduced costs by 30% I think it was. 

Poole have very good crowds, with my business head on it makes sense for Poole to remain in the Championship and make more clear profit. Moving up with the same amount of fans would see riders costs increase as GP riders obviously demand more and flights and travel to get them in. The business model works for the Fords to earn a good living out of the club in the championship. Is that holding Poole back from moving into the Premiership, that's a question someone else would have to answer. 

matts decision to drop down was not purely a speedway decision,there were at the time other important considerations.

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The problem with using solely averages, is it means dropping riders who are developing & signing riders who will never make it to Champ level. Neither supports the future of British Speedway

Riders with 3+ years experience of NDL 100% CMA

Riders with 2 years experience of NDL 90%  CMA

Riders with 1 years experience of NDL 80% CMA

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

matts decision to drop down was not purely a speedway decision,there were at the time other important considerations.

It was a business decision to stop them from going bust. 

6 hours ago, StevePark said:

But when do you say "he's developed" - there has to be a point at sometime when you say "he's too good for a "Development" league."

IF the NDL was the same as before, then yes the likes of Max, Adam Roynon, Lee Complin etc., etc., should/could be involved, but, for me, they are all beyond the "developing" stage and shouldn't be anywhere near the NDL in it's current form.

A rider who has never had a Champ spot is certainly not in the "developed" category.

Stopping riders who have averaged above 4.00 in the Champ would stop the riders you listed racing in the NL. But does the limit need to be so low that it stops Perry getting a ride?

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Riders with 3+ years experience of NDL 100% CMA

Riders with 2 years experience of NDL 90%  CMA

Riders with 1 years experience of NDL 80% CMA

Good idea.

I made a similar suggestion in a NL post. Sadly the BSPL were too lazy / uninterested in thinking outside the box & stick with the norm (averages).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

A rider who has never had a Champ spot is certainly not in the "developed" category.

Stopping riders who have averaged above 4.00 in the Champ would stop the riders you listed racing in the NL. But does the limit need to be so low that it stops Perry getting a ride?

When talking about "Max", for some reason I thought you were talking about Clegg!!