British Speedway Forum
longmeadow

Promoters Conference

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Its called "offsetting" and been available for many, many years.  You get tax relief by offsetting the loss against your other gains or profits of your business in the same accounting period. You can also choose to carry the loss back, if you do not it will be carried forward to another accounting period. The purpose being to help business owners through poor times or to "offset" losses made by one to reduce the tax burden and keep the none-profitable company potentially. Any tax accountant will be fully versed in this subject. 
Promoters often have business interests beyond speedway, The offsetting practice enables them to reduce the cost (loss) of running the club not withstanding that some promotions actually do make profit and pay tax accordingly. 

Can someone bring me back 200 fags?

On 11/8/2023 at 11:47 PM, GS550 said:

Doubt it.  That's how they want to skew it.  Any time I've been to the Canaries it aint cheap.  In principle it stinks to high heaven.  Absolute disgrace.  Tracks folding all over the place, the sport is strapped for cash, there's a cost of living crisis, they could have a meeting in Rugby and no need for any accommodation or extravagant expense or have a zoom meeting.  As I understand it most of the decisions have already been made for 2024, this is just a jolly.  They should be putting the money into facilities or reducing admission prices, not going on grandiose trips abroad.  If they want to have a holiday then pay for it privately, not under the auspices of speedway.

Wow. This is why I dont come on here often.  Anyone with a sensible response to the actual question here? ( Thank you HGould for the only reasonable answer here) I'll be in Tenerife the 3rd week of November, so will look out my Save Our Speedway banner and pack it with my Speedo's and Ivan Mauger book. As for this quote....what part of the Canaries have you been wining and dining in to conclude that it aint cheap? Defo not the parts I frequent. 

A good few years ago was lying  on my sunbed at a hotel in tenerife, Reading the speedway star, when this bloke came up and said am I in this edition, started talking to the bloke and it was Alan ham ex Bradford promoter, shared a few tails over a beer or 2 . He could not believe that me and a couple of friends travelled from Workington to Bradford every Saturday 

On 11/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Wardey said:

Wow. This is why I dont come on here often.  Anyone with a sensible response to the actual question here? ( Thank you HGould for the only reasonable answer here) I'll be in Tenerife the 3rd week of November, so will look out my Save Our Speedway banner and pack it with my Speedo's and Ivan Mauger book. As for this quote....what part of the Canaries have you been wining and dining in to conclude that it aint cheap? Defo not the parts I frequent. 

So what's Tenerife got to do with speedway?  A couple of new tracks opening in Tenerife?

You will know of course that it is more expensive in the Canaries in November than in the summer?

At reportedly a thousand quid per head for 3 days it aint cheap, equates to a couple of grand per head per week, cheap as gold plated caviar.

If you want to save speedway as you say, put the money into improved facilities or reducing admissions prices.

Edited by GS550

Was told its costing 1k each to go to the conference to have a show of hands to pass what already has been agreed. This money could have been spent on a lot more things,  like facilities for the fans in the stadiums, money towards some form of media promotion etc etc

• Like 1

regardless of how cheap or otherwise, they're just not reading the room. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, ch958 said:

regardless of how cheap or otherwise, they're just not reading the room. 

A lot of the northern promoters are not happy about the money spent to go for a show of hands  But the mafia win again !!!

Edited by Neila
  • Like 1

So blinkered, some posters!

Are promoters not allowed to have a working holiday, or even a holiday then?

If they have made a 'profit' from their Speedway business, how do they plow even a penny back into facilities at a stadium where the majority are merely tenants?

If the costs are, as someone suggested around £1000, to attend, what difference would that mean, adding £1000 to a track's overall budget for the year?  That £1000 (and more) can be wiped out in quick time by a rain off.

• Like 3

The 1k is for one promoter some teams have joint promotion so both go (2 x 1k)  to make sure correct decisions are made correctly. 

A run to rugby £125 in petrol for Scottish promotions, 2 nights in Premier Inn £175 job done at less than a  third of price to going to tenerife!!

Edited by Neila
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neila said:

The 1k is for one promoter some teams have joint promotion so both go (2 x 1k)  to make sure correct decisions are made correctly. 

A run to rugby £125 in petrol for Scottish promotions, 2 nights in Premier Inn £175 job done at less than a  third of price to going to tenerife!!

And why shouldn't they go to Tenerife?

32 minutes ago, Gambo said:

If they have made a 'profit' from their Speedway business, how do they plow even a penny back into facilities at a stadium where the majority are merely tenants?

If the costs are, as someone suggested around £1000, to attend, what difference would that mean, adding £1000 to a track's overall budget for the year?  That £1000 (and more) can be wiped out in quick time by a rain off.

I agree with you up to a point. But:

A] it is a  tone deaf action in a time when many are coping with tighter budgets due to the 'cost of living crisis'

B] what choice do promoters who don't fancy a piss up in the sun have? To waste £1000 or miss out on input into the big decisions.

C] how do you bring in 'experts' for specific sessions? (zoom may be adequate, but hardly ideal)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Was told its costing 1k each to go to the conference to have a show of hands to pass what already has been agreed. This money could have been spent on a lot more things,  like facilities for the fans in the stadiums, money towards some form of media promotion etc etc

Maybe it could be used to pay your Promotions riders for their last meeting? After all they'll have Bill's to pay and you wouldn't go to work and not get paid would you!  Let's have a Development League where we teach the kids you don't get paid what your owed right from the off.

Edited by MillenTheVillen

4 minutes ago, MillenTheVillen said:

Maybe it could be used to pay your Promotions riders for their last meeting? After all they'll have Bill's to pay and you wouldn't go to work and not get paid would you!  Let's have a Development League where we teach the kids you don't get paid what your owed right from the off.

Unfortunately that's a past promotion,  and apparently not the only ones who have not paid riders, let's get behind the new promotion they are s breath of fresh air, totally different to any other promotion in worky or elsewhere 

56 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Not at all.  If they want to go on a holiday then fine.  But not in the name of speedway and under the auspices of the BSPL.  Goes against every principle, it stinks to high heaven.  It's ridiculous and totally unnecessary.  The old BSPA were shamed into abandoning the practice years ago, the principle hasn't changed, it still stinks.

24 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And why shouldn't they go to Tenerife?

Is there a new track in Tenerife?

• Haha 1