British Speedway Forum
frigbo

Jim Wells RIP

News this morning that former Sunderland, Berwick, Stoke and Oxford rider Jim Wells has passed away.

That's sad to read...remember when he rode for the "Cheetahs" in 1976. A great friend of Jack Millen now together again in that great track in the sky.

RIP

20 hours ago, steve roberts said:

That's sad to read...remember when he rode for the "Cheetahs" in 1976. A great friend of Jack Millen now together again in that great track in the sky.

RIP

You echo my thoughts on Jim and Jack, Steve.

I am desparately sorry to learn of Jim's passing. I remember watching him as a new rider at reserve when he joined us and eventually became our Number One. It was great watching his progress over the years. He came over to the UK around 2006 and we had a 'do' for him, we also met up with him at Redcar to watch a Speedway match.. He was a lovely fellow and a smashing rider...

He will be sadly missed by all Sunderland 'Stars' Supporters.

My sincere condolences go out to Jim's family and friends.

May he Rest In Peace. +

• Like 2

Relying on my fading memory again but I seem to  recall that a rider named Alf Wells rode for Edinburgh back in the 60's. Were they related?

7 minutes ago, Split said:

Relying on my fading memory again but I seem to  recall that a rider named Alf Wells rode for Edinburgh back in the 60's. Were they related?

I don't think there is a connection?

JIm Wells was after my time (what age was Jim when he passed), but I certainly recall Alf Wells , he was an Aussie or a Kiwi can't recall which. A solid guy was Alf, I think I heard that after he retired he got sick and had both legs amputated. Any update on Alf??

Saw Jim riding at Wimbledon in the Riders Championship during my first proper season . One of those quirky things, that Jack Millen, having qualified( checking up quickly it seems Jack never rode in a final, which must make him one of the best in that division never to have), must have been injured, so Jim replaced him. But having a low-ish average only came in as reserve. From memory, which is poor, it might have been one of the finals badly affected by rain and Cyril putting down bags and bags of sawdust to get the meting on. But Jim got a few rides 

The next year having qualified, he must have had the same fate as jack(?) as Brian Havelock was riding

Sad to see these riders who i remember watching going of to the track in the sky 

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1