British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Celebration of Swindon Speedway 1949-2019

An event yesterday at a local hotel attended by ex-riders and about 200 fans of the Robins. Ex-riders Briggo, Broady, Keen, Dukey, Ashby-looking very frail, Nilsen, Davis, Bouchard, and others in attendance, plus books, bikes and memorabilia for this famous old Wiltshire club, sadly now defunct. Never got the chance to defend the 2019 League and Cup Double.:cry:

A great time was had by all I'm sure!

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear Martin Ashby, looking frail, I hope he's ok. A class act. Where was the event held ? There was a Best Western (I think) within walking distance of the stadium , it used to be called The Blunsdon House years ago. Sorry the stadium is no more- it was the first ever ex NL track that I visited-in 1965 the first year of the British League. Anyone have any photos of this event, I wish I could have been there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

An event yesterday at a local hotel attended by ex-riders and about 200 fans of the Robins. Ex-riders Briggo, Broady, Keen, Dukey, Ashby-looking very frail, Nilsen, Davis, Bouchard, and others in attendance, plus books, bikes and memorabilia for this famous old Wiltshire club, sadly now defunct. Never got the chance to defend the 2019 League and Cup Double.:cry:

How is Jimmy Nilsen? Emigrated to the States if I recall?

Edited by steve roberts

57 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Didn't know that?

I'd loved to have been there. I was never a regular at Blunsdon (Saturdays were always difficult for me because of darts), but I always enjoyed my visits. Still reckon that between the 40's and 60's, Swindon had some of the greatest programme designs ever!

• Like 1

We used to go to White City on Wednesday, Oxford on Thursday and Swindon on the Saturday with the fairy lights. Great days!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:55 PM, BOBBATH said:

Sorry to hear Martin Ashby, looking frail, I hope he's ok. A class act. Where was the event held ? There was a Best Western (I think) within walking distance of the stadium , it used to be called The Blunsdon House years ago. Sorry the stadium is no more- it was the first ever ex NL track that I visited-in 1965 the first year of the British League. Anyone have any photos of this event, I wish I could have been there.

On facebook...It's Speedway Time..and also..Lee Ashby did an interview with Briggo. Event at Blunsdon House Hotel. Martin in wheelchair.

Edited by auntie doris

23 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Didn't speak to him but Dukey is a regular in north Swindon Asda cafe and Robins Farm carvery on Mondays, and Broady is often walking around north Swindon, still fit at 89!

Edited by auntie doris

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

On facebook...It's Speedway Time..and also..Lee Ashby did an interview with Briggo. Event at Blunsdon House Hotel. Martin in wheelchair.

Yeah, I saw the photos. It scared me that I didn't even recognise Martin! Briggo and Broady don't look any different, but Martin...

40 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I saw the photos. It scared me that I didn't even recognise Martin! Briggo and Broady don't look any different, but Martin...

Yes I was shocked looking at Martin. A true legend!