British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Has KK been mentioned yet....?? Maybe 

They're trying to encourage more through the gates......not face a mass exodus!

• Haha 1

Already with names mentioned youve the nucleus of a strong strength in depth side, zagars no n1 anymore but with brennan/ wright one other steady eddy  and a proper n1 youd have a fair top 5. Birminghams sides in the lower league have been complete filth tbh, if this is speedways last roll of the dice in brum  you gotta spend too achieve decent crowds, cvs would be a good man too try to turn the sinking ship around .

6 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

Already with names mentioned youve the nucleus of a strong strength in depth side, zagars no n1 anymore but with brennan/ wright one other steady eddy  and a proper n1 youd have a fair top 5. Birminghams sides in the lower league have been complete filth tbh, if this is speedways last roll of the dice in brum  you gotta spend too achieve decent crowds, cvs would be a good man too try to turn the sinking ship around .

CVS knows how to run a team ...Brum need sum good quality  riders and a good number  1...

Could be that available riders are having to choose between Oxford and Birmingham to sign for. Perhaps similar situation to the past two seasons in the CL? If you were a rider, where would you prefer to be?

2 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Could be that available riders are having to choose between Oxford and Birmingham to sign for. Perhaps similar situation to the past two seasons in the CL? If you were a rider, where would you prefer to be?

Wherever pays the better money! Simples.

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely more involved than that? A large factor but must be other considerations to take into account

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I still wouldn't choose Birmingham in that situation. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long would come to mind.

Just thought I'd pop over to take a look at the current state of affairs on here after a long hiatus.

This place never fails to mystify myself and a number of my colleagues who no longer post.
Here we have a saint of a man in Nigel Tolley who is prepared to go to extraordinary lengths in his attempts to keep our beloved sport alive in the second city and all that the majority on here can do is belittle his attempts, rubbish his decisions and generally decry him. I know its not everyone but there seems to be scant genuine support for him. He is assisting the rest of the UK speedway world in trying to bolster the flailing Premiership. Its all very well Sheffield trying to buy the title by grabbing the big guns before anyone else can get them but what are they actually achieving in finishing top of a 6 team pile, particularly if a couple of those teams are relatively weak and fail to see out the season.

Once again it seems that the powers that be can see no further than their collective noses.

I dont know why anyone bothers to pump their hard earned cash into these ventures, one can only hope that Nigel and others like him do not bother to read the bile that exudes from this site. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Villain said:

Just thought I'd pop over to take a look at the current state of affairs on here after a long hiatus.

This place never fails to mystify myself and a number of my colleagues who no longer post.
Here we have a saint of a man in Nigel Tolley who is prepared to go to extraordinary lengths in his attempts to keep our beloved sport alive in the second city and all that the majority on here can do is belittle his attempts, rubbish his decisions and generally decry him. I know its not everyone but there seems to be scant genuine support for him. He is assisting the rest of the UK speedway world in trying to bolster the flailing Premiership. Its all very well Sheffield trying to buy the title by grabbing the big guns before anyone else can get them but what are they actually achieving in finishing top of a 6 team pile, particularly if a couple of those teams are relatively weak and fail to see out the season.

Once again it seems that the powers that be can see no further than their collective noses.

I dont know why anyone bothers to pump their hard earned cash into these ventures, one can only hope that Nigel and others like him do not bother to read the bile that exudes from this site. 

Whether he reads it or not(there are plenty on here who do support him), he should be applauded for putting his money where his mouth is.it will now be up to the good folk of Brum and beyond to come out and support their  team and make sure that effort is paid back

Edited by Toady

2 hours ago, Villain said:

I don’t think anyone is belittling him but you need to look at the facts whether you or Mr Tolley agrees, they’ve been in the championship for 2 seasons and truthfully put out poor sides each season, on numerous occasions he’s came out and said crowds aren’t good enough. So he moves up a league higher rider costs but perhaps no increase in people through the turnstiles that is a huge risk for anyone to take. I don’t know if they are banking on attracting some wolves fans but if he is that’s a risky strategy imo and there’s only so much losing money someone can take.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villain said:

I don't think I've seen anyone "belittle his attempts" or "decry" Nigel Tolley. Virtually everyone agrees he's doing his very best, probably doing too much in reality given the long term future. It's also widely acknowledged that the last two seasons of Championship teams have been naff.

Using the word "bile" in regards to people's thoughts on Nigel is so ridiculously untrue.

I would also question if the Premiership move is to assist the rest of the league, or because it's necessary because of stadium availability.

It's funny because it's always the people that say they don't post because of the "bile" on this site, posting their moaning and being negative like this. Oh, and the "number of colleagues" who've all happened to do the same - LOL.

• Like 2

N.T's use of his funds is totally up to him......but his best penny would be spent on appointing a Team Manager that has credibility when selecting a competitive team.

Somebody who knows what they're doing!

Surely he must know who is going to be the 'new' manager? 

Can't workout why this isn't announced by now?

Not that it 'really' matters when it's announced.

CVS/Sudden 'Sam' sounds like a good combo.

That's a great signing, would of loved to see him at Foxhall. Good start for you Brummies, Interesting days ahead for you Supporters. Intrigued who your big hitters are, exciting times.