British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

Laguta not doing UK. But if he was to do a full season from the start of the season you would see a different laguta for me. 

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

With Kubera now in the GP series I think there are two hopes of getting him to ride over here and one of those died twenty years ago.

On the subject of the track, if prepared properly Brum is in a completely different league to Wolves IMHO.

Yes, but it aint and has'nt been.

10 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I have watched lots of meetings at Monmore and Perry Barr and in my opinion the better racing has been at Monmore, for whatever reason Perry Barr does not lend itself to overtaking except on the odd occasion,

If you ever went there, you would realise that this is not true. The reality is that Perry Barr is a much better shape than Monmore, which is much too small and with very tight bends. It was usually, though, well prepared.

45 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Yes, but it aint and has'nt been.

So I gather, I've not been for a few years but on my many visits the racing was always very good, hopefully they can sort out the prep for 2024.

49 minutes ago, *JJ said:

If you ever went there, you would realise that this is not true. The reality is that Perry Barr is a much better shape than Monmore, which is much too small and with very tight bends. It was usually, though, well prepared.

I have been to both tracks on many occasions, Did I say anything about the shape?, what I said was I have seen better racing at Monmore, Perry Barr should produce better racing but it does not for a variety of reasons, and I IMO gave a few of those reasons, I forgot to add that over the years Monmore had very good track curators. The real question should be why does a Track with such a decent shape not produce good racing and why have riders shall we say not been overly impressed with the track over the past few years.

One of the biggest losses for Wolves was that of track curator Doc Bridgett retiring due to ill health. During his tenure the racing was superb, passing inside and outside. Wolves won multiple track of the year awards as voted by referees and riders. Size and shape was irrelevant then. All this with limited access to the track due to the greyhounds. Subsequent curators have tried their best  but really Bridgett was unmatchable.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

One of the biggest losses for Wolves was that of track curator Doc Bridgett retiring due to ill health. During his tenure the racing was superb, passing inside and outside. Wolves won multiple track of the year awards as voted by referees and riders. Size and shape was irrelevant then. All this with limited access to the track due to the greyhounds. Subsequent curators have tried their best  but really Bridgett was unmatchable.

Terry the Track and his team will make sure the PB circuit is well-prepared and after discussion should suit the home team as most tracks do!

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Terry the Track and his team will make sure the PB circuit is well-prepared and after discussion should suit the home team as most tracks do!

Having Monday night now means track guys will have Sunday and Monday to prepare the track and do plenty of watering when required, unlike before when they had Sunday then had to start again weds, Terry, John and team should have a great surface to race on imho.

• Like 1

I have been to Monmore Green & Perry Barr many times, had season tickets at both over the years.  I used to enjoy the racing at Monmore Green but it hasn't been as good as it was in the last 10ish years.   When Wolves had Peter Karlsson & Lindgren you could guarantee good racing weekly, before that when Ermolenko was in his pomp especially when Cradley visited with Hancock & Hamill.
Perry Barr was a decent race surface when it re-opened, I think it deteriorated after Tony Mole departed the club and the last time I was a regular visitor in the 2021 season it was awfully dusty almost every week.

• Like 3

If Terry is back as track-man...then I don't think anybody needs to worry...the track will definitely be the best its been in a long time!

2 hours ago, Col said:

Perry Barr was a decent race surface when it re-opened, I think it deteriorated after Tony Mole departed the club and the last time I was a regular visitor in the 2021 season it was awfully dusty almost every week.

2021, it had been unused for two years and had weathered badly. The Tolly regime laid a lot of new shale and it is now much better.

Yeaterday, I watched a match from 2013 (v. Lakeside) on Youtube which had fantastic racing: riders going at it, many times passing both sides. Hopefully it will be as good next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

2021, it had been unused for two years and had weathered badly.

I went a fair few times in 2019, so it wasn't unused for two years.

Announcements were promised for the Christmas Party on Saturday, so on my wish list would be:

1. A top quality Team Manager (Critical)

2. A top quality track curator (Vital)

3. A top quality witch doctor that can fix some decent weather for Monday nights. We'll let it rain as much as it likes Tue-Sat next year, but in exchange, Sundays & Mondays have to be nice. :D