British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

13 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Pawlicki is still a decent rider and if anything is a lot more ruthless than he used to be, bordering on the Nicki Pedersen school of riding ,milik should do ok in this league, again another hard rider who doesn’t back out of challenges  lampart is a bit of a gate and go merchant but he can gate so imo will do well around Perry Barr,  I think brum will be hard to beat at home and hopefully competitive away 

Agree

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Who could they have signed? A third rider on 7.50 instead of Lampart? Robert Lambert instead of Worrall?  I wouldn't replace Cook.

Maybe the leeway is because two different "marquee" signings could have been 8.00 assessed, thus only 0.6 left over.

That’s why you start building with the top riders then make the most of what’s left, just seems a waste of 1.59 points to me. Wolves were crucified on here a couple of years ago for doing similar.

I think Brennan/Worrall/Cook/Flint were always going to be signed, so I don't think any sort of 'timing/tactical' signing would've made any difference?

However, I don't think the 'Lampart' signing needed to be done until the TOP 2 were in place?

There hasn't been any 'tactical' team building at PB since the 'judge' left!

Brum look like a team where riders 1, 3, and 5 are all  "one up" from where they should be in the team if it is to not finish last..

Steve Worrall does "ok" at 2_or 4, but struggles as a HL..

Milik would be "ok" as a three...

And Pawlicki at "5" would be a solid back up to a "proper" No1...

Given the HL's usually ride 14 times out of the 30 times that teams come to the tapes, them winning races keeps teams at least in the meeting, even if no heat advantage...

Not sure that there will be enough heat wins from those three, given the level of their direct competition at 1, 3 and 5 in pretty much all of the teams..

Which will put pressure on the rest of the side...

22 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Ridiculous if averages that are 9 and 10 years old are used

To me what's worse is the inconsistency, Pedersen rode on an average that was 12 years old.

Woffinden, Lidsey, Kasprzak & Jakobsen kept the same averages. Janowski's was lowered, but Pawlicki & Milik's were increased.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It is ridiculous but have rider's ever had their averages increased?? Also to a half point figure of 7.50?? 

Absolutely, Birmingham's management have requested it rather than the rider's being given it. 

The numbers just make no sense at all, Pawlicki & Milik are nowhere near 7.50 rider's 

Could it be visa/work permit related that both are assessed at 7.5?

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

To me what's worse is the inconsistency, Pedersen rode on an average that was 12 years old.

Woffinden, Lidsey, Kasprzak & Jakobsen kept the same averages. Janowski's was lowered, but Pawlicki & Milik's were increased.

Disagree there - thats not neccesarily inconsistency

Its about accuracy which coukd be the same , higher or lower

That of course needs ti be a subjective view and not all will agree with the assessment. Thats where consistency becomes the issue - are robust criteria/parameters set and importantly applied in each case?

18 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

That’s why you start building with the top riders then make the most of what’s left, just seems a waste of 1.59 points to me. Wolves were crucified on here a couple of years ago for doing similar.

Start at the top is the only way ...They may have had more choice then ..They needed a proper number  1 and Pawlicki at 5 ...Milik isnt good  enough  at 5 ...

On 1/22/2024 at 10:05 AM, Najjer said:

Just for clarity on this one, Milik is not a top rider at all.

Depends what you class as a top rider. Milik isn’t that far from GP standard and has established himself at top level in both Sweden and Poland.

On 1/22/2024 at 11:00 AM, szkocjasid said:

It actually suits Birmingham for their riders to be on these averages rather than Pawlicki (7.32), Milk (5.67) & Lampart (5.00) as it means if anyone is missing they'll be able to use stronger guests or r/r. Plus Z.Cook at reserve could be a real trump card.

However I don't understand how they can increase the averages of Pawlicki & Milik, but decrease Janowski's, while Pedersen, Kasprzak & Woffinden returned on their old averages. Should rules not be consistent for all?

Same with Lidsey coming back last season on his old reserve average pre Covid despite establishing himself in the Polish top league for 2 seasons.

None of these rulings are ever fair to all clubs. Some gain massively some lose out. That can’t be fair.

Surely a sensible yardstick could be their averages from top flight in Poland and Sweden.

If you are good enough to average 6-7 points in both leagues then surely 7.50 or 8 would be a better assessment when converting to the UK.

As for the signings….. Pawlicki is a rider that has got Monmore within a few heats. A total natural on a considered trick track. I’d go to watch him.

Ditto Milik. Thought he would be GP level by now but I find him exciting also.

Definetly gonna make a few tricks to PB this season for those 2 alone as well as having some ex Wolves in the side also.

I seriously hope the team gels and aren’t as poor as people are predicting.  I say that in all seriousness because the Sport, the Midlands and Brummies fans need this team to survive.

• Like 1

too many brummie bashers and tolley trolls. they look usefull hard racers , if not champions this season , . brave brummie management in this climate must be applauded.

please support whats left in the midlands ,not as turncoates but lovers of the best racing to be seen this season at brum. 

51 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Depends what you class as a top rider. Milik isn’t that far from GP standard and has established himself at top level in both Sweden and Poland.

Same with Lidsey coming back last season on his old reserve average pre Covid despite establishing himself in the Polish top league for 2 seasons.

None of these rulings are ever fair to all clubs. Some gain massively some lose out. That can’t be fair.

Surely a sensible yardstick could be their averages from top flight in Poland and Sweden.

If you are good enough to average 6-7 points in both leagues then surely 7.50 or 8 would be a better assessment when converting to the UK.

As for the signings….. Pawlicki is a rider that has got Monmore within a few heats. A total natural on a considered trick track. I’d go to watch him.

Definetly gonna make a few tricks to PB this season for those 2 alone as well as having some ex Wolves in the side also.

I seriously hope the team gels and aren’t as poor as people are predicting.  I say that in all seriousness because the Sport, the Midlands and Brummies fans need this team to survive.

I hope it all works out 4 them ...but it does look weak on paper ..time will tell.

go brummies.....think sam ermalenko should do sky style open mike in the pits too, whilst he rallies the troops and enthuses the crowd....he needs to earn his money too.

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

If you look at last season and even the seasons before that, Milik is not established at the top levels. He is hit and miss in Sweden, is now back riding in the 2nd division after 1 season back in the top flight in Poland and is nowhere near SGP standard - matter of fact, he shown himself to barely be SEC standard. 

I actually like Milik as a rider as he’s another who isn’t afraid generally to put it about and give it a good go, so he’s worth watching in my book - but for clarity, he is not a top rider.

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

If you look at last season and even the seasons before that, Milik is not established at the top levels. He is hit and miss in Sweden, is now back riding in the 2nd division after 1 season back in the top flight in Poland and is nowhere near SGP standard - matter of fact, he shown himself to barely be SEC standard. 

I actually like Milik as a rider as he’s another who isn’t afraid generally to put it about and give it a good go, so he’s worth watching in my book - but for clarity, he is not a top rider.

Number 3or 4 in a team ...Not 5 ...

For the sake of the sport and all those involved at Birmingham, I really hope that they have a decent season and get some good numbers through the gate.

• Like 2