British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

May be its an age thing... but my preference is value for money! Give me close racing over meaningless silverware any day of the week!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

May be its an age thing... but my preference is value for money! Give me close racing over meaningless silverware any day of the week!

True but u still want your team to win ..

5 hours ago, FishersGate said:

That's fine for you but I don't think many Poole, Belle Vue, Glasgow fans etc will be happy seeing there team lose every week. You should have seen how much the crowds dropped at leicester when we got battered every week..soon as we started winning again crowds slowly rised.

The difference nowadays is that there is actually some world class talent that will be visiting virtually every time you have a meeting...

A bit of a novelty maybe, and short term potential rather than a long term sustainable plan, but, in Brums case in particular, it may offer some breathing space to go again next year, even if this years team doesnt trouble the play offs..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

To me speedway is a sport and in sport you play/ride to win. I love close plenty of passing races as we all do. But if its my team that are getting passed great race or not i am still pi**ed off. I also go home feeling a lot happier if my team has won.

Its why the play offs pull in much better crowds meaningless silverware or not fans want/hope to see there team win something it makes people happy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

To me speedway is a sport and in sport you play/ride to win. I love close plenty of passing races as we all do. But if its my team that are getting passed great race or not i am still pi**ed off. I also go home feeling a lot happier if my team has won.

Its why the play offs pull in much better crowds meaningless silverware or not fans want/hope to see there team win something it makes people happy.

The play offs definitely pull in many fans like me, who are not too bothered about who actually wins or not...

It provides many "followers" with a night out at a speedway meeting that actually has decent crowds and, therefore, atmosphere...

A bit of a throwback to how it used to be when we all started to follow the sport and loved it....

I really enjoyed both meetings last year I attended that the Aces were in, with good crowds at both Ipswich and the NSS..

Peterborough's Captain then turning up for Sheffield so they could defeat Ipswich in the Final, (after he had made such a fundamental impact in putting Ipswich in the Final), summed up perfectly why you shouldn't take league UK racing too seriously.. 

An excellent night out are the play offs...

• Like 3

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but will the Brummies have a team practice before taking on Oxford?

Perhaps there's something wrong with me but in my peak days of watching speedway - at Halifax in the late 60's and in the 70's - I attended religiously whether the team won or lost. It was entertainment, it was exciting and it was a way of life.

Deciding not to attend because your team is losing is like stopping going to the cinema just because you happened to see three bad films on the trot.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Perhaps there's something wrong with me but in my peak days of watching speedway - at Halifax in the late 60's and in the 70's - I attended religiously whether the team won or lost. It was entertainment, it was exciting and it was a way of life.

Deciding not to attend because your team is losing is like stopping going to the cinema just because you happened to see three bad films on the trot.

there are two types of fan - speedway fans and fans of a particular team only. I don't get the second lot - when Middlesbrough closed I watched Newcastle. Didn't particularly support them but it was racing. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ch958 said:

there are two types of fan - speedway fans and fans of a particular team only. I don't get the second lot - when Middlesbrough closed I watched Newcastle. Didn't particularly support them but it was racing. 

I was a Dons fan - crazy Dons fan. However, I always loved the sport as a whole, and often missed our meetings on Bank Holidays so I could take in three meetings! I would travel all over the country just to watch speedway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

Yeah that second part confuses me, if you enjoy watching Speedway, why stop if "your" team closes?

Although nowadays a fans second closest track, could be quite a trek compared to 20 years ago & fans may get their fix from TV / streaming?

7 hours ago, ch958 said:

Not getting the second lot is quite possibly part of the reason for the sport’s decline. Supporters of most team sports get fanatical about ‘their team’ they might be fans of the sport but wouldn’t dream of going to watch other teams live. 

Speedway very much plays to the speedway fan while ignoring the fact most supporters of team sport are there because it’s their team. That’s the big disconnect with speedway. It wants to be a team sport but doesn’t offer the tribal team feel.

Football for example a Man City fan wouldn’t go and watch any other team, certainly not Man united because they could see two matches a week. More than likely they watch other teams on tv because they are a football fan but first & foremost they are a Man City fan. Please use other clubs as an example if the Manchester one offends.

22 hours ago, chunky said:

I was a Dons fan - crazy Dons fan. However, I always loved the sport as a whole, and often missed our meetings on Bank Holidays so I could take in three meetings! I would travel all over the country just to watch speedway.

I was the same. A Rayleigh fan since 1969 but in those days and particular after I passed my driving test I would go to Crayford, Hackney, Wimbledon, Eastbourne and the odd visit to Canterbury because forest and foremost it was great to see other top riders in the divisions ride their own tracks and great to watch the reserves improve. I guess a speedway fan first and a club supporter second. One of the reasons it is sad to see the decline in individual meetings and local cup derbies (e.g. Essex gold cup involving the rockets against the Romford bombers) with few wanting to attend these meetings. In today’s racing little if any team riding and just seven individuals riding firstly for themselves and secondly for the team, so why won’t supporters follow individual riders like in other two wheeled sports. Speedway has so much more to offer than just league racing.

4 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

I was the same. A Rayleigh fan since 1969 but in those days and particular after I passed my driving test I would go to Crayford, Hackney, Wimbledon, Eastbourne and the odd visit to Canterbury because forest and foremost it was great to see other top riders in the divisions ride their own tracks and great to watch the reserves improve. I guess a speedway fan first and a club supporter second. One of the reasons it is sad to see the decline in individual meetings and local cup derbies (e.g. Essex gold cup involving the rockets against the Romford bombers) with few wanting to attend these meetings. In today’s racing little if any team riding and just seven individuals riding firstly for themselves and secondly for the team, so why won’t supporters follow individual riders like in other two wheeled sports. Speedway has so much more to offer than just league racing.

I love speedway but was an Eastie fan first and they were 'my' team and really only watched at Arlington ( or Eastie away) plus the odd individual/world championship. But your first sentence really does sum up the problem now for people like us with defunct clubs, you could drive to at least 6 tracks fairly close to you on far less busy roads than today, I have a 150 to 200 mile round trip to my closest 2 tracks on s**te busy roads.