British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MB723

Pairs Point Format

For a bit of fun in the off-season, does anyone think the pairs scoring format (4,3,2,0) would improve the championship with the lower points limit.

It may force teams to build more strength in depth than having 2 heavy hitters with either the second strings or reserves being weaker as last places would be more costly. Might naturally decrease doubling up and allow more 5-6 pointers to have a chance of a team spot instead of decreasing the point limit every season.

Could also force riders to learn to team ride instead of disappearing out front.

Well the riders would love it as they are contracted on a per point basis, not a position basis!

You'd either be cutting 10 points next year to keep it at 38 have starting average of 45 as averages would become higher. 

Maybe they could try that scoring system for the BSN series? Just to make the competitions different? Then use the Elite league "fast track" format for the KOC!

Yeah averages would have to be looked at, though honestly they could just use the 3,2,1,0 format to calcualate averages if they are lazy, as only the most dedicated fans really care about averages. 

I think it would be a fun test if they used it for a cup to see how it works. I just want to see some team riding, that is where you really see the skill some riders have.

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Maybe they could try that scoring system for the BSN series? Just to make the competitions different?

I like this idea.

BTW, the equivalent team building average for this format would be 63.

When I first went to speedway in 95 I remember in the KOC they counted bonus points towards to the totals so if your riders Finished 1st and 2nd you got 6-1 rather then a 5-1 and also if they finished 2nd and 3rd you got a 4-3 instead of 3-3

7 hours ago, George Dodds said:

So you could provide all 15 heats winners and still lose heavily? Seems weird 

That's the norm for speedway 

• Haha 1