British Speedway Forum
Falcon1983

Team Predictions 2024

3 minutes ago, Hilly said:

No doubt Boughen is a talent but nowhere near ready for the Premiership yet.

Have to agree. Going to find points hard to come by looking at some of the other more established Rising Stars. If they’re prepared to still  chuck him in to aid his development then fair play to them though. 

25 minutes ago, Hilly said:

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Have to agree. Going to find points hard to come by looking at some of the other more established Rising Stars. If they’re prepared to still  chuck him in to aid his development then fair play to them though. 

You'd imagine the idea is that he'll be beating the other number sevens and other riders too by the business end of the season. Quite possible bearing in mind his progression in little more than a year since he started riding.

Musielak, Palm Toft, Iversen, Basso, Tarasenko, Wojdylo, Rowe… I think that’s definitely Lynn’s team, which is somewhat disappointing, but still better than last year (which wasn’t hard) 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

You'd imagine the idea is that he'll be beating the other number sevens and other riders too by the business end of the season. Quite possible bearing in mind his progression in little more than a year since he started riding.

In the Championship yes, don't see it in the Prem, love to be wrong thou if he does get the nod.

16 minutes ago, Hilly said:

In the Championship yes, don't see it in the Prem, love to be wrong thou if he does get the nod.

If he is going to be 'the real deal' I would expect he would be putting in performances of note in the Prem by the end of this season

Most riders that reach the very top would be top league ready inside 3 years

4 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

If he is going to be 'the real deal' I would expect he would be putting in performances of note in the Prem by the end of this season

Absolutely. Word on the street is that he'll be involved in the Polish U24 league next year, riding in that should bring him on too.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, Hilly said:

Totally agree, no reason for Oxford not to start with Atkins (if not using Jenkins) then if Boughen outscores him every week in the Champ - bring Boughen in. Bit of a risk for me starting with Boughen, after all he's not even an 8.00 NL rider!

Let’s not forget Boughen’s last few rides at Peterborough and Redcar. 
Peterborough beating Scotty, Leon flint and just missing out on the win after battling hard with Lewi Kerr. 
redcar beating , winning and passed against Danny king and Blodern in one race. And another race he was beating other premiership riders. 
scoring 2 points at Sheffield and lead one of his races getting passed by worrel to finish 2nd. That was a few days after his 16th birthday. 
That’s all within 1 year of racing speedway and 1 month of turning 16 going champ & prem. 

Going by this video he’s more than capable! 

Edited by Fan1980
None

On 11/25/2023 at 7:40 AM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Depending how rich or who gives them help,all that I see that you don’t rise to the top riding old engines that were once winners, a lot has changed ,everyone has to have good gear especially in premiership standard

In the case of Boughen I think it will be up to the rider and his team whether he is ready for a season in the Premiership. Iron sharpens iron so if he can stay headstrong and learn from every meeting even when he isn’t getting results points wise then stepping up would be invaluable for him. Of course Oxford are going to want to compete now that they have stepped up too. 

Riders mature and peak at different times. Signs are positive with Boughen but if he isn’t an established top tier rider by the end of next season I don’t think we should be writing him off by any means. 

Boughen has good equipment 

He's also very quick

Understandably his gating lets him down at times but if can master that, as a rising star, i think he would do well

14 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Totally agree, no reason for Oxford not to start with Atkins (if not using Jenkins) then if Boughen outscores him every week in the Champ - bring Boughen in. Bit of a risk for me starting with Boughen, after all he's not even an 8.00 NL rider!

The reason they would start with Boughen if they do is so that they beieve he will develop rapidly and that he would blossom through the season and be a weapon come the Play Offs. Not starting the season with him means that almost certainly wouldn't work. If the viewpoint is that he's going to develop at a rate of knots then averages in lower leagues are pretty irrelevant. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Boughen has good equipment 

He's also very quick

Understandably his gating lets him down at times but if can master that, as a rising star, i think he would do well

His gating is not that bad - its just staying on around the first turn!!

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

His gating is not that bad - its just staying on around the first turn!!

I watched him at leicester in the NL and would say he isn't ready for prem. BUT his development has been rapid so it could work for oxford. Put it this way, Ipswich picked Joe Thomson and I reckon Ashton is slightly ahead of him.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:06 PM, szkocjasid said:

For me it would be daft of Oxford to let Jenkins be a rising star elsewhere & use Boughen themselves.

Don’t think he’ll be riding as a rising star. Think he’ll be riding at number 6 for someone..

• Like 1