British Speedway Forum
StarBoy

2024 Premiership Predictions

I think things would have to go seriously wrong injury wise to see us as low as second bottom. We’ll see though. 

Dragging a bit now ain’t it?

47 minutes ago, Col said:

Why on earth do you think I have a problem with the Witches?  I don't think their team building strategy with two riders consuming almost half their allocated points allowance is a great idea but I've been wrong before.  My only visit to the EoESg last year was to see Ipswich!  And my first speedway memory is of John Cook almost scoring a maximum at Dudley Wood (beating Penhall & Gundersen) but being denied it by Phil Collins passing him on the final bend of heat 13.

I'm sure Cradley won many accolades with the strength of 2 riders? (Hancock/Hamill) 

You can’t dismiss Ipswich on the basis of them having just the best top two and little else. Having the best top two (and they’re comfortably the best top two in the league) is huge, but they have no mugs lower down either. King and Ellis in the engine room at 3 and 4 is also strong, they’ve swapped Hume for Jenkins at reserve which is an upgrade, and they also have one of the best rising stars in the league in Dan Thompson. They’ll be the bookies favourites for a reason and tipping them to finish second bottom shows a lack of Speedway knowledge quite frankly as much as everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aries said:

You can’t dismiss Ipswich on the basis of them having just the best top two and little else. Having the best top two (and they’re comfortably the best top two in the league) is huge, but they have no mugs lower down either. King and Ellis in the engine room at 3 and 4 is also strong, they’ve swapped Hume for Jenkins at reserve which is an upgrade, and they also have one of the best rising stars in the league in Dan Thompson. They’ll be the bookies favourites for a reason and tipping them to finish second bottom shows a lack of Speedway knowledge quite frankly as much as everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

He could end up being right but I think that would be more luck than judgement. Things can go wrong very quickly in this sport as we know so predicting anything pre-season is almost impossible. It’s a bit of fun and all we can do is predict by looking at the strengths and weaknesses of teams on paper. Mind you I’m not quite sure where Col got his paper from :D 

53 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I'm sure Cradley won many accolades with the strength of 2 riders? (Hancock/Hamill) 

I don't think H&H ever won a title together!

1 hour ago, Col said:

I don't think H&H ever won a title together!

Fair enough....though they were a bloomin good pairing in their day ! Great to watch! :D

I think Ipswich have sorted their bottom end issues out and Rew will be much different with a year under his belt.

I'd also question if Fricke is as good as Doyle on GB tracks.

Fricke wasn't very good at Sheffield when guesting in the KOC Final first leg. He got 2+1 only beating Rew and Hume and lost twice to both Doyle and Sayfutdinov. He got 8 from 5 rides in the second leg but came last in heats 13 & 15, he beat Sayfutdinov in heat one and came second to Doyle in heat 11. He may be better at a couple of tracks but Doyle is better at many more.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:24 AM, Aries said:

Belle Vue have a huge home advantage. Doyle for example struggled for pace there last year by his own admission and even when he made the gate, he was soon swallowed up by the likes of Kurtz and Lidsey. Set up is just as important at big fast tracks as it is for small technical ones. The Belle Vue boys are very very quick around their home track and if you’re a visiting rider there and struggling for pace, you’ll very quickly get found out. 

There are some tracks where you can pop out of the gate and keep faster riders behind you by being clever with the lines you take and acting as a roadblock. You have absolutely zero chance of doing that at the NSS. 

Spot on.  Couldn't 'like' as I've lost that ability.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think Ipswich have sorted their bottom end issues out and Rew will be much different with a year under his belt.

I'd also question if Fricke is as good as Doyle on GB tracks.

Ipswich  look good especially  if A.Ellis can up his ave ..Better 6 and 7 than Sheffield...

One team has to finish 6th (sorry Brummies you're 7th)... Witches septet finished 6th when I totalled up what I thought each rider would average over the course of the season.

Fricke is young enough to improve, Doyle is beyond his best.  To win a league title you need riders who can improve their average over the course of a season. I don't see any, except Rew in the Witches septet.

Edited by Col

9 hours ago, Col said:

One team has to finish 6th (sorry Brummies you're 7th)... Witches septet finished 6th when I totalled up what I thought each rider would average over the course of the season.

Fricke is young enough to improve, Doyle is beyond his best.  To win a league title you need riders who can improve their average over the course of a season. I don't see any, except Rew in the Witches septet.

we had the same chat two pre seasons ago when max was belle vue, you claimed doyle was on the decline and max on the rise and he'd be the best in the league over doyle easily that year.... how's the past two seasons worked out on that metric? doyle has comfortably out performed max home and away both of the last two seasons.

ipswich came within a heat advantage or two of winning both the cup and league last year and if the weather hadn't played havoc on the sheffield leg of the grand final in normal track conditions ipswich would've had enough to hold onto their lead from the home leg imo

ellis is an upgrade on riss

dan t one of the best rising stars

jenkins an upgrade on hume marginally with greater scope to improve

new end of season was superb in the playoffs and comfortably out performing his season average in the last few meetings

can't see any world where ipswich are the 6th best team in this league unless they're ravaged with injuries again.

10 hours ago, Col said:

If B'ham finish 7th....finish being the operative word....then they've done well!

The closer the season gets, the more I notice what a poor side Rogers has put together again!

11 hours ago, Col said:

Should have gone to Specsavers...:D

Col has been predicting the demise of Doyle for the last 5 years. A couple of seasons ago he said Jack holder, Fricke and Kurtz would all overtake him that year and he’d be demoted to “4th best Aussie” in the League. LOL. It didn’t happen then and it still hasn’t happened despite him predicting it every winter. 

Oh and it won’t happen this coming season either. 

Edited by Aries
  • Like 2