British Speedway Forum
StarBoy

2024 Premiership Predictions

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

No idea to be honest. Maybe the Leicester fans on here can confirm?

From what I've seen the shape is the same. It's more just digging it up and starting again so water doesn't sit on the inside line. Sam Masters said he couldn't get grip on it when he rode it and you could tell. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Looking at that Leicester must be kicking themselves for axing Dan last year! If they hadn’t, Dan would almost certainly be lining up as Leicesters Rising Star instead of Joe this coming season you’d have thought. 

Also shows that we held on to Joe for far too long last year. I’m all for giving youngsters a chance but it was clear he was struggling to score a point virtually every week and there were no signs of that changing for far too long. Having said that, I still think he’ll do ok this year, certainly much much better than those numbers. His confidence was shot last year at Foxhall but he’ll enjoy being back at Leicester and he’ll score points around there. 

I felt for him as in a fair few races he would be placed after the first lap but then greater track craft or whatever would mean others would get past him - shame as if he could have held on and scored a few more points confidence would have been better etc  - in the end the right decision was made - I recall moaning about it at the time but Dan proved a really good addition until his injury!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

21 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Looking at that Leicester must be kicking themselves for axing Dan last year! If they hadn’t, Dan would almost certainly be lining up as Leicesters Rising Star instead of Joe this coming season you’d have thought. 

Also shows that we held on to Joe for far too long last year. I’m all for giving youngsters a chance but it was clear he was struggling to score a point virtually every week and there were no signs of that changing for far too long. Having said that, I still think he’ll do ok this year, certainly much much better than those numbers. His confidence was shot last year at Foxhall but he’ll enjoy being back at Leicester and he’ll score points around there. 

Can't really blame Leicester for dropping Dan T as Kemp was a good signing, but if they hadn't and had Dan T as RS this year, would probably be favourites along with Ipswich imo.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:26 PM, PTW said:

Looking at the teams for a while now I’d say Ipswich look the team to beat best top 2 in the league with decent reserves and a solid middle order closely followed by Sheffield.

1. Ipswich

2. Sheffield 

3. Leicester

4. Oxford

5. Kings Lynn 

6. Belle Vue

7. Birmingham 

Sensible predictions

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aries said:

Joe was clearly awful!

Not awful, turned up every week, gave it his best, A for effort just very much out of his depth which in turn hit his confidence too.

Season or two too soon that’s all, and when guesting late season he’d been winning races in the lower leagues, confidence was back and was closer to pace with a couple of big points to help win the cup. Will be one of the weaker reserves at the start of the season but the potential is there.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Not awful, turned up every week, gave it his best, A for effort just very much out of his depth which in turn hit his confidence too.

Season or two too soon that’s all, and when guesting late season he’d been winning races in the lower leagues, confidence was back and was closer to pace with a couple of big points to help win the cup. Will be one of the weaker reserves at the start of the season but the potential is there.

Whether he turned up or not (why wouldn’t he turn up? It’s his job!!) is irrelevant. 1.65 and a GSA of 1.18 he was nothing other than truly awful whichever way you try and spin it. 

On 3/5/2024 at 4:32 PM, Aries said:

Whether he turned up or not (why wouldn’t he turn up? It’s his job!!) is irrelevant. 1.65 and a GSA of 1.18 he was nothing other than truly awful whichever way you try and spin it. 

I mean plenty of riders haven’t turned up for meetings they don’t fancy over the years…former world champion last year took Michael out of two clubs doing so, and given his struggles I can imagine it was tough to keep going at times for Joe. 

Not trying to spin anything, you have to temper the expectations of youngsters, guess I just prefer to support young lads giving it their best rather than tear them down 

15 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

I mean plenty of riders haven’t turned up for meetings they don’t fancy over the years…former world champion last year took Michael out of two clubs doing so, and given his struggles I can imagine it was tough to keep going at times for Joe. 

Not trying to spin anything, you have to temper the expectations of youngsters, guess I just prefer to support young lads giving it their best rather than tear them down 

no one is tearing them down, its called being realistic

On 3/4/2024 at 5:28 PM, Arch Stanton said:

No idea to be honest. Maybe the Leicester fans on here can confirm?

I’ve not seen it personally but I think the banking is now a constant gradient instead of flattering out 2/3 of the way up.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 4:26 PM, therefused said:

no one is tearing them down, its called being realistic

Agree to disagree.

saying joe found it tough, probably too soon for him to be riding at this level is being realistic, calling an 18 year old kid awful is unnecessary imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bored, so I added up the predictions to get an average. Like the speedway star used to do giving 1st = 7 pts & so on till 1 pt for 7th.

1st Ipswich (6.2)

2nd Sheffield (5.3)

3rd Leicester (4.5)

4th Oxford (4.1)

5th Belle Vue (3.6)

6th King's Lynn (3.2)

7th Birmingham (1.0)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

I am surprised Birmingham managed to even get one point ;).

Not sure if that was a joke, but they get a point for being predicted 7th. So this means everyone predicted them for bottom.

Ipswich favourites to finish top for me .I think they ve got the best top 2 in the league.If they get Adam Ellis going along with King middle order looks solid .Rew could be the one dropping in and out of the reserve berth

I liked what I saw in Dan Thompson hopefully he ll have an injury free season 

The next 3 places are up for grabs .Sheffield have solid 1/5 but the reserves ?.

Belle Vue have got riders that should improve think the key men for them Kurtz Cook and Mountain at reserve 

Oxford look nice and solid (be nice if Harris could ride in the silly play offs final for his own team lol)

Kings lynn could make it also 

can see Leicester then Birmingham in that order but who knows what will happen 

Hopefully we’ll get to see some good racing and not any serious injuries for the riders