British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Split

Star Riders' Championship

I was looking at the results of the Star Riders' Championship which was the forerunner of the official Speedway World Championship which was first held in 1936. - see below

Some of speedway's best ever riders are featured and it's sad that the competition rarely gets a mention and that the winners don't enjoy the recognition they deserve.

Year 1st 2nd 3rd
1929 (Overseas) Frank Arthur (Australia) beat Vic Huxley (Australia)
1929 (Britain) Roger Frogley (England) beat Jack Parker (England)
1930 Vic Huxley (Australia) beat Frank Arthur (Australia)
1931 Ray Tauser (United States) Vic Huxley (Australia) Tommy Croombs (England)
1932 Eric Langton (England) Vic Huxley (Australia) Dicky Case (Australia)
1933 Tom Farndon (England) Ron Johnson (Australia) Bluey Wilkinson (Australia)
1934 Jack Parker (England) Eric Langton (England) Ginger Lees (England)
1935 Frank Charles (England) Jack Ormston (England) Max Grosskreutz (

Think that is slightly unfair. Sure we have had a number of mentions, even a thread or two on the subject. Not sure how often you can keep going over old ground

For instance think it was also mentioned on the Ray Tauser (Tauscher) thread that he held 3 world championships in the same year what with the Paris and Australian versions...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Think that is slightly unfair. Sure we have had a number of mentions, even a thread or two on the subject. Not sure how often you can keep going over old ground

For instance think it was also mentioned on the Ray Tauser (Tauscher) thread that he held 3 world championships in the same year what with the Paris and Australian versions...

Yes, I believe I may have mentioned Tom Farndon winning the 1933 Star Riders' Championship once or twice!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Yes, I believe I may have mentioned Tom Farndon winning the 1933 Star Riders' Championship once or twice!

Who?

7 hours ago, chunky said:

Who?

Tom Farndon. He won the Star Riders' Championship in 1933.....:D

5 hours ago, norbold said:

Tom Farndon. He won the Star Riders' Championship in 1933.....:D

Surprised you never mentioned it before?

The point I was making is that not necessarily on this forum, but generally it is only the winners of the official World Championship who get the recognition they deserve. Some of the names on that list come up when THE best rider ever is discussed (over to you Norbold). A combination of the suspension of world finals during World War Two and one tragic accident prevented these riders from having the opportunity to register a win in the official competition. 

That is obviously true subsequently. But at the time i guess they were known as the best rider in the world. In a small circle at least

Just look at my profile and there is evidence of such. That when Sprouts Elder came to Hamburg in 1930, he was billed as 'Weltmeister', World champion. Due i think to his winning such a meeting in Argentina. And as i pointed out Ray Tauser was known as the person who won 3 world titles as such in the one season....and i am sure that is still mentioned today, when if rarely he is mentioned. The recent documentary on him for instance. But then the subsequent media interest from that 

Edited by iris123

I know I've mentioned this somewhere else on the Forum over the years but the Tom Farndon story is well worth looking into. He was box office of his day and with Speedway in it's pioneer days he was somewhat the Beckham of the shale. He was an absolute superstar and the money he made was incredible, 

Someone should write a book about him

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

I know I've mentioned this somewhere else on the Forum over the years but the Tom Farndon story is well worth looking into. He was box office of his day and with Speedway in it's pioneer days he was somewhat the Beckham of the shale. He was an absolute superstar and the money he made was incredible, 

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Someone should write a book about him

I think one has already been written. Can't quite remember the name of the author(s) though.

• Haha 1