British Speedway Forum
szkocjasid

Edinburgh Monarchs Academy 2024

22 hours ago, gazzac said:

I can see your point and pleased Perry has got a NL ride, so not anti it being done, but I'd have a bet during the season that when there's an injury or a possibility of a team change(s) caused by an injury etc and it comes in at 36.25 not 36 that the precedent set would make it difficult not to allow it even if it didn't have all teams in agreement. 

You do have a point in that if a rider is injured and a replacement found but ave limit needs tweaking why not ? They did it for Edinburgh ! That’s what I’d say ! 

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Had a brief look at the sparse NDL fixtures for 2024 and was disappointed to see there is a fixture scheduled for the 11th October! Obviously there are likely to be rain offs etc but just two fixtures currently in September and the rest knocked out by the end of August makes sense. I can understand why any side would want to delay hosting Edinburgh for a s long as possible but October feels extreme...

On 1/28/2024 at 2:44 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

The whole league is being undermined by the inclusion of riders on low averages after shocking seasons, riders from across the globe who offer little to enhance british speedway. Yes Perry should have had a team place and anyone was free to signing him instead of thier current choices. Edinburgh stamped thier feet again and got thier own way. 

Doesn't bother me, im done with speedway. Nothing to interest me in the farcical NDL this season and higher leagues are just as comical. Was fun while it lasted.

Pity you didn't keep your promise, instead of further spouting your inane, usubstantiated drivel towards Edinburgh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit late but a few thoughts about the decision to raise the limit to allow Edinburgh to fit in Max Perry.

1) i'm absolutely delighted Max has got a NL team & think it would have been a travesty for a 16 year old improving rider in his first Champ season to miss iut on a place in the development league.

2) I'm very impressed that the fellow promoters agreed to a rule change that directly hurts their own chances at glory.

3) I think its rediculous to change a rule after the AGM. Mainly because its shows a complete lack of thought & planning. Did they not consider whcih riders could miss out, perhaps it's just easier & "lazy" to just pick a low points limit, create a weak league & hope it works for developing riders. For example a developing 16 year old on a 7+ average almost misses out, but "journeymen" riders who will never make it on lower averages, will have no such issues gaining a team place. Now I have zero issues with these older / more experienced / doing it for a hobby type riders racing in the NL, just feel these rider sgaining a spot over the likes of Perry goes against the supposed point of the lower points limit (development). They coulkd have picked rider gradings based on ability & experience, a % reduction based on experience to help "developing" riders, rather than the quick an easy option of "let's lower the points limit" .

4) Edinburgh could have fitted in Perry by not signing Wood or Watson for example. So in the future, whats to stop a team picking a rider just over the points limit and asking for the limit to be increased? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They should have been told to not select a middle age rider from the other side of the world ( again ) who couldn't average 5 points last season and give the place to a ‘developing’ Brit , isn't that the point of this league ??? but this is how British speedway is now being run.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They’ve all agreed the league should focus on development so why have a team limit at all ! Surely they can all be trusted ‘to do the right thing’ ??  Or maybe not 

Surprised Edinburgh didn't score more today. I rate Leicester as favourites, but Edinburgh's riders pre-season really talked up their game & had me believing in them. I'm sure Wood talked about being a number one & both Watson & Parker talked about becoming heat leaders?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Surprised Edinburgh didn't score more today. I rate Leicester as favourites, but Edinburgh's riders pre-season really talked up their game & had me believing in them. I'm sure Wood talked about being a number one & both Watson & Parker talked about becoming heat leaders?

Parker was a fair way behind today.

34 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Development league that's what's its about

On 4/7/2024 at 7:58 PM, mc131 said:

On 4/7/2024 at 8:33 PM, Binman said:

Development league that's what's its about

How is a rider being a fair way behind "development"?

Unless last year he was continuously lapped & now he's only well behind.

Now Sonny Springer scoring loads from reserve - that's development!

• Like 2

Parker wasn't ready last year and isn't ready this year. He just has connections in the club and is getting laps ahead of others who are more deserving. Its been happening for years and will continue in the future. Sometimes it clicks for a rider and often it doesn't.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Parker wasn't ready last year and isn't ready this year. He just has connections in the club and is getting laps ahead of others who are more deserving. Its been happening for years and will continue in the future. Sometimes it clicks for a rider and often it doesn't.....

I can't see either reserve ' developing ' much, possibly reached their limits already. 

• Like 1

I mean... I've only seen Mark ride the once in a second half meeting at Redcar last season... But are we really going to write an 18 year old off already?

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

I mean... I've only seen Mark ride the once in a second half meeting at Redcar last season... But are we really going to write an 18 year old off already?

He's not just started riding, neither of them did anything worth talking about last season either. 

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Parker only put his leg over a speedway bike a year ago. Going to say you probably haven’t seen much of him. Improved a fair bit over the last year. 

As already said it’s a development league and you’re writing someone off after a match against the best side in the league. They’ve got Luke crang at reserve along with one of the up and coming talents in springer so not entirely sure what you were expecting.

3 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

He's not just started riding, neither of them did anything worth talking about last season either. 

So who would you have to replace them ?