British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Retired Too Soon in the 50s

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Talking Wimbledon. You could also add Dennis Gray, who retired both young and in the 50s. Bit of a sensation but injury curtailed his career. So maybe doesn't quite fit

If I recall he was in the RAF?

28 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall he was in the RAF?

It is an absolute interesting point. Wasn't it his years military service ? And did all speedway riders have to do it? Because I can't really recall others having to put their career on hold . Or was it because he hadn't reached a certain level before he was due ? Or maybe he was of such a mind that he actually wanted to do the year

Of course I remember Tommy Janson having the break in his career for his military service in Sweden. But that was later and another nation

Edited by iris123

6 hours ago, Beirao said:

Missed a few then! I was basing this on  age and looking at those who stopped before they were 27/28. Miller was well into his 30s when he retired - born 1924. Forrest was a miss by me though! Agree some didn't retire until the 60s - Knutson being a glaring example. The file I used was riders who started riding iin the 50s. A better title might have been "Retired too earky from the 50s" Not my finest moment though hope it was interesting none the less. Off to look out the dunces cap! 

No problem Beirao, I just enjoyed reading your list and comments. Regarding Tommy Miller, didn't he lose his edge after  Glasgow closed and he went to Coventry (I think) or maybe Leicester. Was it rumoured that he liked his booze too much. He certainly rocketed to fame in his Glasgow years. Anybody know when he passed?

55 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It is an absolute interesting point. Wasn't it his years military service ? And did all speedway riders have to do it? Because I can't really recall others having to put their career on hold . Or was it because he hadn't reached a certain level before he was due ? Or maybe he was of such a mind that he actually wanted to do the year

Of course I remember Tommy Janson having the break in his career for his military service in Sweden. But that was later and another nation

I seem to remember my mother saying that he was serving in the RAF when he rode for Oxford?

I've just checked and apparently his RAF posting was cancelled so he could continue to ride for Oxford?

Edited by steve roberts

9 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

No problem Beirao, I just enjoyed reading your list and comments. Regarding Tommy Miller, didn't he lose his edge after  Glasgow closed and he went to Coventry (I think) or maybe Leicester. Was it rumoured that he liked his booze too much. He certainly rocketed to fame in his Glasgow years. Anybody know when he passed?

He was sold to  Motherwell in 1954 as Glasgow tried to balance their books to allow them to start the season.- they folded after a few weeks. He was never accepted by the Motherwell fans and moved to Coventry after just a few months. He rode for the Bees until mid 1956 when he joined Oxford for the last couple of months of the season before retiring.. He died in 1975, just 51. Have heard the rumours too. 

I see that Dennis went to work in a copper mine in Africa, also lived in New Zealand as well as working in the oil field at Wytch farm

Edited by iris123

When did Arthur Payne retire? Our oldest surviving World Finalist!!