British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vicar

Leicester 1959

Hello. Could you please help me identify name of Leicester riders from left to right on below photo? Thanks in advance!

1959_Leicester.jpg

Its not a lot of help but I'm guessing Guy Allott is in there somewhere. The records show he was riding for Leicester that year.

Also Eric Boothroyd, Bryan Elliot, Jack Geran, Alf Hagon, Dave Hankins, Marian Kaiser and Ken McKinlay.

There's some famous names to conjure with in there, eh?

Ken McKinlay had a lot less hair when I saw him racing in 1970 but the fellow on the bike has more than a passing resemblance

Edited by False dawn

I can recognise, Back row far left  Eric Boothroyd, middle Guy Allott, Ivor Brown (maybe), Jack Geran, Alf Hagon. Ken McKinlay on bike. Kneeling Brian Elliott on the  left, possibly Dave Hankins on the right.

l-r, Back Row: Eric Boothroyd, Marian Kaiser, Charlie Barsby, Guy Allott, Ivor Brown, Jack Geran, Alf Hagon. Front Row: Bryan Elliott, Ken McKinlay (on bike), Dave Hankins

It's surprising that Ivor Brown couldn't force his way into that team when we consider the success he had in later years with Cradley Heath. 

Edited by Split

Re Ivor Brown- the Provincial league which commenced in 1960 was the making of Ivor, firstly at Yarmouth and then as you say with CH. He bacame a Prov League star and outstanding rider booked for many second halves at other tracks. he could always be relied upon to add a few extra on the gate. Strangely enough he never won the PLRC Final- does anyone know why?

With the start of the BL in 1965 he looked like he could easily hold his own with the old NL stars until his terrible crash at the 1965 Internationale while racing against Ove.. He did come back but I think it's fair to say he was never quite as good as before, although he was still a useful scorer and I think got to a British WC semi Final in 1965. 

He was certainly the man we loved to hate at Newport-great showman!! 

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

I think got to a British WC semi Final in 1965. 

Ivor missed the qualifying rounds in 1965 following his crash in the Internationale. It was in 1967 when he qualified for the British semi-final, ironically at Wimbledon. 

8 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Strangely enough he never won the PLRC Final- does anyone know why?

There were a number of other good PL riders around at the time especially Trevor Redmond and Ivan Mauger. Ivor made the final every year, but never made it to the podium.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

There were a number of other good PL riders around at the time especially Trevor Redmond and Ivan Mauger. Ivor made the final every year, but never made it to the podium.

And scored 9, 11, 8, 7, and 9.

8 hours ago, chunky said:

And scored 9, 11, 8, 7, and 9.

Finishing 6th=, 4th=, 9th=, 8th= and 7th

Thanks guys, BTW did anyone in forumland ever get to see a PLRC Final- I think maybe Norbold was at Harringay in 1960 when Reg Reeves won  following Trevor Redmonds'  e.f after he was unbeaten from four rides. Anybody else BL65 maybe?. 

I never got to see one unfortunately, they sounded like great meetings though

8 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks guys, BTW did anyone in forumland ever get to see a PLRC Final- I think maybe Norbold was at Harringay in 1960 when Reg Reeves won  following Trevor Redmonds'  e.f after he was unbeaten from four rides. Anybody else BL65 maybe?. 

Yes, I was there, though it was 1961, not 1960. Even to this day, 62 years later, it still ranks as the greatest injustice I ever saw on a speedway track!

Edited by norbold