British Speedway Forum
Beirao

The Good Year

On 1/17/2024 at 11:22 AM, Beirao said:

Which was your teams Good Year. I've had a stab at it, but am I right?

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/january-2024/the-good-year

Although they finished 2nd in the League, KO Cup, League Cup and Premiership :o I enjoyed 1984 at Hyde Road too. Although we hammered most teams, the team was an exciting one, the racing was great and we had the uniquely brilliant moment when PC and Mort won the World Pairs, plus Mort also won the BLRC.

Down in Devon, I enjoyed following the 1989 Exeter Falcons. Steve Regeling became a class no1, Richard Green was thrill a minute, they actually won some matches on the road and had an epic cup tie with Berwick.   

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 11:22 AM, Beirao said:

Which was your teams Good Year. I've had a stab at it, but am I right?

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/january-2024/the-good-year

Not far off for Oxford. I would go for 1985, rather than 1986. 1985 was the first league championship for 21 years. The first time (for a whole generation who hadn't been around in 1964) is always special.

1986 was an even more successful year, but the weather meant it finished in anti-climax. In contrast, the final home meeting of 1985 was the KO Cup Final with Oxford beating Ipswich in a last-heat decider - which I would rate as the best-ever meeting at Cowley. 

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Got to be 2001 for us at Newcastle. We won the PL with some style  and were popular visitors everywhere with star men Bjarne, Jesper, Kevin, Andre capable of riding both small tracks like Newcastle but also the big tracks like Exeter and Sheffield. Due to our success our travelling fans increased enormously as they realised that we were going to do the business everywhere we went. Second positions in the Pairs , Fours and Individual PL meetings with Bjarne, Jesper particularly  leading the way. Fabulous meeting  at Brough to clinch the PL title  against Glasgow and then Alex Harkess presenting the PL Trophy on behalf of the BSPA. We even carried Jesper for a little while, injured with his troublesome shoulder, replacing his absence mostly with our other headleaders. Newcastle fans will never forget that season and we just got pipped the following year, topping the PL again but losing out on overall points to a team with a big home advantage.   Great Days.

Next year (or maybe the one after) when racing returns to Brandon

13 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Not far off for Oxford. I would go for 1985, rather than 1986. 1985 was the first league championship for 21 years. The first time (for a whole generation who hadn't been around in 1964) is always special.

1986 was an even more successful year, but the weather meant it finished in anti-climax. In contrast, the final home meeting of 1985 was the KO Cup Final with Oxford beating Ipswich in a last-heat decider - which I would rate as the best-ever meeting at Cowley. 

I'd agree...1985 was a special year whereas as you say 1986 turned into a bit of anti-climax when the weather beat the "Cheetahs" when we on course to win the four main trophies.

Edited by steve roberts

1979 for Mildenhall. National league champs to cup runners up . Remember all the coaches of supporters going to Scunthorpe for title decider. And the huge crowd at home to Rye House who had to win that meeting.  Great days