British Speedway Forum

I raced for Graham at long Eaton, found him very straight to the point and hard to get on with , bumped into him at various different tracks over the years but it wasn’t until I was a mechanic at Birmingham and he was promotor that I really understood him, we had many chats about the state of the sport, he was always backing up my views privately that I was spouting on social media at the time although kept telling me not to swear on them, telling me to keep at them, I asked him if he shared these views why he never spoke out ? He said “the sport had been good to him and he didn’t want to appear ungrateful “speedway needs a Graham Drury now, thoughts with Denise and the family at this sad time.RIP Graham 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Looking through one of my Speedway Star yearly Binders I found some pictures of Graham circa 1882 1983 at Oxford. 

It was noticeable that he must have been one of the last riders to switch from the Jawa 4 valve, which looked rather heavier and more cumbersome than the Weslakes of the day. 

I wonder if they were ex Mauger or Briggo motors from his Hull days. 

That was a golden era in both Divisions. 

Quite possiibly an ex-Briggo bike.  I know Graham had some leathers off Briggo which he wore in 1977, red with yellow sleeves poss from Briggo's time at Wimbledon.  Graham favoured the 4v JAWAs over Weslakes, as did Ivan & Olsen of course til late in their careers, apparently they were 'swines' to set up but despite being a tad top heavy, they flew once you got one going right.  Graham was 'on fire' riding it in 1977, posting a 9pt ave, til it went 'bang' & his form never really recovered that year.  He was one of what I called the 'Fab 4' at Hull, along wth Bobby Beaton, Joe Owen & Frank Auffret, all spending 5 or 6 years together at the Boulevard....

41 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Quite possiibly an ex-Briggo bike.  I know Graham had some leathers off Briggo which he wore in 1977, red with yellow sleeves poss from Briggo's time at Wimbledon.  Graham favoured the 4v JAWAs over Weslakes, as did Ivan & Olsen of course til late in their careers, apparently they were 'swines' to set up but despite being a tad top heavy, they flew once you got one going right.  Graham was 'on fire' riding it in 1977, posting a 9pt ave, til it went 'bang' & his form never really recovered that year.  He was one of what I called the 'Fab 4' at Hull, along wth Bobby Beaton, Joe Owen & Frank Auffret, all spending 5 or 6 years together at the Boulevard....

The end of the DT500 was the reduction of the carb size to 34mm, they were thirsty engines and worked well with bigger size carbs 

That is sad news. Never met the man, but a name that has been around speedway, it seems, forever! RIP Mr Drury 

21 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The end of the DT500 was the reduction of the carb size to 34mm, they were thirsty engines and worked well with bigger size carbs 

You will obv know better than most, but didn't the ever quieter silencers brought in over the years also cause the DT500 JAWA 4v to overheat, think Olsen complained unsucesfully to the (then) BSPA & SCB about that. (Sorry to hi-jack thread it's about respecting Graham Drury)....

Edited by martinmauger
hopefully added tactful respect

On 1/28/2024 at 5:40 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Had a DT500 on the Grass with a 38mm Mikuni, bought from Stefan Salomonnson (Wimbledon). Fastest engine I ever had, much better than I was. Nowhere near the same with a smaller carb.