British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

Pits crew attire

Is it time for anyone working in the pits at a speedway meeting, to be required to conform to a dress code? Black seems to be the best, but instead of heavy metal bands tour t-shirts, plain polo shirts with "pits crew" on the back, plain black trousers or long shorts, and black shoes& socks (NO flip-flops allowed).

If BSPL could find a sponsor whose logo could be added, then it should be able to supply most of this kit (except shoes) free of charge via riders and promoters. 

This would help to portray a better image when matches are televised and to new spectators.

2 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Is it time for anyone working in the pits at a speedway meeting, to be required to conform to a dress code? Black seems to be the best, but instead of heavy metal bands tour t-shirts, plain polo shirts with "pits crew" on the back, plain black trousers or long shorts, and black shoes& socks (NO flip-flops allowed).

If BSPL could find a sponsor whose logo could be added, then it should be able to supply most of this kit (except shoes) free of charge via riders and promoters. 

This would help to portray a better image when matches are televised and to new spectators.

Coventry used to have mechanics kits and it all looked very professional. Too many butt cracks on show at the moment for my liking :shock:

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Keep dreaming, they can’t even act professionaly themselves and haven't attracted a major sponsor to the sport for years . Besides some riders have a different ‘spanner man ‘ every meeting so a very large wardrobe would be required. 

• Like 1

Be more prudent to make sure only those who have to be in the pits are there and stop having all the hangers on who do nothing but get in the way, especially when something kicks off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MattB said:

Be more prudent to make sure only those who have to be in the pits are there and stop having all the hangers on who do nothing but get in the way, especially when something kicks off.

No more than two per rider are normally allowed in the pits and that seems to be the norm for most TV meetings. Two per rider means28 personnel, plus 14 riders, plus Clerk of the Course, plus Pit Marshal , plus team managers plus promoters, and Machine Examiners. I make that 50in total before TV crew. Ŵ

I discovered, when I was helping a rider do the MDL circuit, that you could just walk into the pits and no-one would take a blind bit of notice ...

On 2/23/2024 at 4:05 PM, Hamish McRaker said:

I agree and in league racing each rider should be limited to one mechanic and get the rest of the hangers on out of the pits and that includes riders not riding, girlfriends, and any other hanger on and there are many 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I agree and in league racing each rider should be limited to one mechanic and get the rest of the hangers on out of the pits and that includes riders not riding, girlfriends, and any other hanger on and there are many 

Absolutely this - they should pay to get in like anyone else. Frankly, they should consider themselves lucky that they get to watch their partners at work. Mine can't get near my workplace.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, *JJ said:

I discovered, when I was helping a rider do the MDL circuit, that you could just walk into the pits and no-one would take a blind bit of notice ...

Down to the track not having proper pit marshalls doing their job then.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Absolutely this - they should pay to get in like anyone else. Frankly, they should consider themselves lucky that they get to watch their partners at work. Mine can't get near my workplace.

Great attitude for a ‘family sport ‘.

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

But they are allowed a full team of mechanics  , a masseur and a mentor in a GP so what’s the difference ? Most club riders have two ‘assistants ‘ in their pit, are you going to tell Gary Havelock he can’t be a ‘mentor’ to Ben Trigger at Redcar?, or can’t be in the pits when a Poole is visiting ? You going to tell Glasgow they can’t have their full entourage of 12 hanging about in the pits ?

Its in the rule book as to who should be in a pit area and it’s down to the club to enforce it, but every club is different…..it’s British speedway !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Great attitude for a ‘family sport ‘.

Why? The 'family' can pay to get in.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

But they are allowed a full team of mechanics  , a masseur and a mentor in a GP so what’s the difference ? Most club riders have two ‘assistants ‘ in their pit, are you going to tell Gary Havelock he can’t be a ‘mentor’ to Ben Trigger at Redcar?, or can’t be in the pits when a Poole is visiting ? You going to tell Glasgow they can’t have their full entourage of 12 hanging about in the pits ?

Its in the rule book as to who should be in a pit area and it’s down to the club to enforce it, but every club is different…..it’s British speedway !

Not really interested in what goes on in the GPs but league racing is getting too bloated for its own good, you only need one mechanic per rider, everyone else can watch from the terraces, British speedway long time problem is the sport being run by the riders for the riders and look where we are 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, *JJ said:

Did same at Reading v Hull, 2000 season.  Had a chat with Hull riders pre-meeting, hung out with mechanics whilst riders got changed, only left on 'warm up' as we were obv in the way, potential hazardeous area, riders need to get 'in the zone' - and we woudn't have heard ourselves think :D.  No-one from home promotion said a word, pit exit to car park was open, occured to us we coulda poss wheeled a bike out "gotta swap it, he needs the other bike out of his van", and coulda been off with it.  Very lax security, done same at other tracks but was at least asked what we wanted & warned we needed to leave at warm up time....

25 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Did same at Reading v Hull, 2000 season.  Had a chat with Hull riders pre-meeting, hung out with mechanics whilst riders got changed, only left on 'warm up' as we were obv in the way, potential hazardeous area, riders need to get 'in the zone' - and we woudn't have heard ourselves think :D.  No-one from home promotion said a word, pit exit to car park was open, occured to us we coulda poss wheeled a bike out "gotta swap it, he needs the other bike out of his van", and coulda been off with it.  Very lax security, done same at other tracks but was at least asked what we wanted & warned we needed to leave at warm up time....

Went to a meeting last season where I was able to wander in and out of the pits throughout the meeting. [Olching v Gustrow]