British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway GP markets itself as world’s best 15. Kvech? Huckenbeck?. No Laguta or Sayfutdinov. Take away the top 3 from last year and we have 12 who in the main could be replaced with another 12, no disrespect to Dan and Robert. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Speedway GP markets itself as world’s best 15. Kvech? Huckenbeck?. No Laguta or Sayfutdinov. Take away the top 3 from last year and we have 12 who in the main could be replaced with another 12, no disrespect to Dan and Robert. 

Sorry, Dan and Robert are DEFINITELY in the Top 15 - no, Top 10.

• Like 1

As a said… in the main, I was not including Dan and Robert in the 12. I worded it badly. I still feel you could replace most of this year’s field with previous GP winners and medalists without weakening the series. Happy Friday be proved wrong. 

2024 GP line up includes riders included not because they qualified on the track, but chosen for “political” reasons. It’s obvious the powers that be have tried to expand the number of different nationalities, so Kvech is included. Milik is no longer a GP contender but a GP is held in Prague, so stick a Czech in for the whole season. Personally I don’t think he ready yet. Lebedevs is the first rider to represent Latvia for a whole GP season. On “his day” he probably capable of winning a GP, but he has to prove he can cope with 10GPs, it’s a tough ask.  It’s difficult job the selectors have, it’s probably true you could take 10 riders out, put a different 10 in and the racing will be just as good. Missing from last year of notable worth is Fricke ( and that was a surprise to me”, Anders Thomson, Janowski (yes he had a bad year but…). Let’s not forget riders have 2 different events that they are able to qualify from….. 4 GP places for the following year, that’s over 25% of the field. Add in the fact BSF members have been shouting for new faces in the GPs for a few seasons now, well this year the selectors have put in new faces…..and immediately BSF member were complaining they were the “wrong” new faces. Who would be a selector if they were not thick skinned to take all the flack.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

2024 GP line up includes riders included not because they qualified on the track, but chosen for “political” reasons. It’s obvious the powers that be have tried to expand the number of different nationalities, so Kvech is included. Milik is no longer a GP contender but a GP is held in Prague, so stick a Czech in for the whole season. Personally I don’t think he ready yet. Lebedevs is the first rider to represent Latvia for a whole GP season. On “his day” he probably capable of winning a GP, but he has to prove he can cope with 10GPs, it’s a tough ask.  It’s difficult job the selectors have, it’s probably true you could take 10 riders out, put a different 10 in and the racing will be just as good. Missing from last year of notable worth is Fricke ( and that was a surprise to me”, Anders Thomson, Janowski (yes he had a bad year but…). Let’s not forget riders have 2 different events that they are able to qualify from….. 4 GP places for the following year, that’s over 25% of the field. Add in the fact BSF members have been shouting for new faces in the GPs for a few seasons now, well this year the selectors have put in new faces…..and immediately BSF member were complaining they were the “wrong” new faces. Who would be a selector if they were not thick skinned to take all the flack.

But Kvech QUALIFIED ( from the GP Challenge by being third best rider not otherwise qualified)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

As a said… in the main, I was not including Dan and Robert in the 12. I worded it badly. I still feel you could replace most of this year’s field with previous GP winners and medalists without weakening the series. Happy Friday be proved wrong. 

what previous GP winners and medalists would you add out of interest? I think there is a case of Maciej, Fricke are on par with Lebedevs, Kvech etc based on recent form, and its not like the door is closed forever on riders not in it this year. 

I think some of them thought they had it pretty easy and were relying on a wildcard every year, maybe this is the push they need

5 hours ago, therefused said:

I think some of them thought they had it pretty easy and were relying on a wildcard every year, maybe this is the push they need

You could well be right, though I think Fricke was better then some others who are in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arnieg said:

But Kvech QUALIFIED ( from the GP Challenge by being third best rider not otherwise qualified)

So he did, apologies……I just don’t rate him yet…….but he got the points needed - others didn’t.

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

You could well be right, though I think Fricke was better then some others who are in.

Definitely agree with you there...

• Like 1

This nonsense again. 

There's not a single sport, team or individual, that has the 'outright best in the world' selected within their sports. Why is that? Simply, based on opinion. 

Every single sport is selected off of a human beings opinion. 

Not all F1 drivers are "the best in the world". 

Not all MotoGP riders are "the best in the world". 

Not all the players in the PDC Premier League are "the best in the world". 

It's purely a matter of opinion from the selectors & it's purely a matter of opinion from those opposing the selections.

There are zero "facts" only stats as to who is or isn't best for the jobs. Shock, horror for many, stats ain't facts. 

• Like 1

Surely all Formula 1 drivers are the best Formula 1 drivers in the world, as they are the only Formula 1 drivers there are

On 2/29/2024 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Smith said:

This nonsense again. 

There's not a single sport, team or individual, that has the 'outright best in the world' selected within their sports. Why is that? Simply, based on opinion. 

Every single sport is selected off of a human beings opinion. 

Not all F1 drivers are "the best in the world". 

Not all MotoGP riders are "the best in the world". 

Not all the players in the PDC Premier League are "the best in the world". 

It's purely a matter of opinion from the selectors & it's purely a matter of opinion from those opposing the selections.

There are zero "facts" only stats as to who is or isn't best for the jobs. Shock, horror for many, stats ain't facts. 

The best basketball players in the world play in the NBA.

The simple answer is no seeded riders. Or one seed (to cover for injury).

Top 7 from previous years GP qualify.

SEC Champion.

Winner of qualifiers (for non-gp riders).

Top 6 from GP Challenge.

1 seed

GP Challenge is:

The bottom 9 GP riders

U21 Champ

Overseas Champ (USA, Australasia) basically non SEC countries.

2nd - 6th from qualifiers (for non-gp riders).

Imo a riders age / nationality / gender / race should NEVER come into it.

Edited by szkocjasid