British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Wilbur Lamoreaux

When people talk about the "great" Americans, Hancock, Penhall, Autrey, Bast, the Milne Brothers, even Ray Tauser, are the names mentioned. Why not Wilbur Lamoreaux?

When you look at his achievements, he certainly deserves to be considered as one of the best.

Born in Roseville, IL, on February 26, 1907, he didn't start racing until he was well in his 20's.

"Lammy" came to the UK in 1937 to ride for Wimbledon, and finished the year with a fine league average of 8.14, recording three maximums. The following year, he upped that to 10.93, (second only to Jack Milne), posting fourteen maximums. He further improved in 1938 with a brilliant 11.06 (second only to Cordy Milne), and improved his seasonal maximum count to fifteen.

By the time he returned to Britain after the war, he was in his 40's. That didn't stop him from recording a 9.71 in 1948 (for Wembley), with eight maximums, which left him third behind Vic Duggan and Ron Johnson. He was even better the following season with a 9.86 (and twelve maximums) for Birmingham the following season. That left him a terrible fourth place behind Duggan, Graham Warren, and Jack Parker.

Remarkable figures when you look at them, but what about the World Championship?

Going into the 1937 final, only Jack Milne scored more bonus points than "Lammy", and on the big night, four wins wasn't enough as he was pipped to the title by his buddy Jack,

Going into the 1938 final, only Bluey Wilkinson scored more bonus points, and on the night, he picked up four more wins, which left him third overall.

Going into the 1939 final, only Cordy Milne scored more bonus points, and of course, Adolf got the final called off.

Going into the 1949 final, he was only the sixth highest qualifier, but was just three points behind top qualifiers, Tommy Price and Graham Warren. On the night, "Lammy" scored 9 from four completed rides to finish fifth. Had his machine not given up the ghost in his fourth ride (against Louis Lawson), a third rostrum finish was likely.

I knew Wilbur Lamoreaux was good, but until now, I wasn't quite sure HOW good. When you look at the above stats, you can see how he truly was one of the all-time greats of the sport.

• Like 1

Great and most fascinating post Chunks-thanx for posting. I'll look up where Roseville, Illinois is having spent 2 years in Champaigm-Urbana!!

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Great and most fascinating post Chunks-thanx for posting. I'll look up where Roseville, Illinois is having spent 2 years in Champaigm-Urbana!!

It's in the middle of nowhere, between Peoria and Burlington, IA.

Thanks Chunks- I wonder if Roseville has a McDonalds!!!

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks Chunks- I wonder if Roseville has a McDonalds!!!

I don't think so, as fewer than 900 people live there!

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

My eldest son lived in C-U Illinois and hated it. 

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

My eldest son lived in C-U Illinois and hated it. 

Sorry to hear about your son's experience I had a great time and made friends for life. I was there 1968-70, and at that time there weren't many Brits  around. It was the time of The Beatles etc. and anyone with a British accent had it made (so to speak). No speedway though!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Quite interesting that as i said on anther thread 'Lammy' was in the US known as 'The Frenchman' or 'Flying Frenchman' etc

But looking at the internet his family were Americans going back a number of generations. Even Josiah's father doesn't particularly sound French.....Joshua !!

Found further back to the French ancestor

Andre Lamoreaux 3rd November 1663 in Cozes, Saintonge, France. Andre was a Hugenot

André Lamoureaux was a shipmaster and pilot of the small port of Méché (now Meschers-sur-Gironde) in the province of Saintonge (now Charente-Maritime) France, near the mouth of Gironde river and between La Rochelle and Bordeaux. Accompanied by his wife Suzanne LaTour and two children, Elizabeth and Jacques, he made his way to the port of Bristol, England where the sturdy shipmasters of the western coast of France had established a thriving trade.

Bristol, England

The records of the little French church which the fugitives promptly organized in Bristol show that the colony maintained itself there for many years. Unlike the larger and better known colony in London, it did not attract to itself the refugees of gentle birth and position, but rather those whose commercial and seafaring occupations had made them acquainted with this part of England. Among these it is permissible to presume that André Lamoureaux was a man of exceptional strength of character and influence. The fact that he was a pilot on the dangerous coast of western France is evidence of the first and the frequent appearance of his name in the records of other members of the colony warrants the second conclusion.

The last record of André Lamoureaux in the French church of Bristol was dated March 25, 1695, when he signed as a witness to the marriage of two friends, Gedoq-Roy.

Naturalization Application and Emigration

Apparently in anticipation of his emigration to America, André Lamoureaux took out denization, or naturalization, papers 22 June 1694, for himself, wife, and two children, Elizabeth and Judith. This was by a special act of Parliament, no general act then being in force. From this it will be seen that André arrived in New York early in the year 1700, or in the preceding year.

• Jan 7, 1694, christened a son Daniel, born Dec 24, 1693, and who appears to have died soon after.
  • Dec 1, 1695, they christened son Daniel, born Nov 29, 1695, who is the ancestor of the many hundred of the name now scattered over the United States and Canada.
  • https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lamoreaux-49 Well worth a look. Particularly at The Pirate Letter'..

Daniel Lamoreaux snr was born 29th November  1695 in Bristol, Somerset, England!!!

Jean Lamoreaux born on 31 December 1723 in New York City

Thomas Lamoreaux  was born on 1746 in New Cornwall, Orange County, NY (

Thomas served in the Revolutionary War. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and who during part of the war was a prisoner on one of the Long Island prison ships. He was a Revolutionary War Ensign, serving under Captain Francis Smith and Colonel Woodhull in New York. He also signed articles of Association in Orange County, New York (patriotic service). 
On 07/30/2018, the National Daughters of the American Revolution placed a marker to honor Thomas Lamoreaux (Lamoreaux) on Tilling Point Farm, Jackson Township, PA. Luzerne County.
The marker reads:
Revolutionary war soldier & patriot Thomas Lamoreux (Lamoreaux) Ensign, Orange County Militia, NY. Signed Articles of Association. Born Circa 1745 - Died 5 October 1829. Marker Placed by Wyoming Chapter, NSDAR 2017.)

Joshua Lamoreaux was born on August 30th 1793 in Chase, Luzerne, Pennsylvania

When Josiah Cease Lamoreaux was born on 29 March 1818, in Lehman Township, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, United States, his father, Joshua B. Lamoreaux, was 24 and his mother, Martha Ives, was 20. He married Ellen Major about 1838. They were the parents of at least 7 sons and 2 daughters. He lived in Lehman, Lehman Township, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, United States in 1860. He died on 17 May 1896, in Clinton, Illinois, United States, at the age of 78, and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Clinton, DeWitt, Illinois, United States.

When Thomas Jefferson Lamoreaux was born on 15 February 1858, in Lehman Township, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, United States, his father, Josiah Cease Lamoreaux, was 39 and his mother, Ellen Major, was 41. He married Anna Bell Horton on 10 February 1892, in Knox, Illinois, United States. They were the parents of at least 3 sons. He lived in Lehman, Lehman Township, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, United States in 1860. He died on 18 April 1918, in Ellison Township, Warren, Illinois, United States, at the age of 60.

And on 21st May 1937 Lammy was riding for Wimbledon in Bristol. So completing the circle back to his ancestor of over 200 years before. I wonder if he knew ?

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

And on 21st May 1937 Lammy was riding for Wimbledon in Bristol. So completing the circle back to his ancestor of over 200 years before. I wonder if he knew ?

Well, I don't think he had the internet to help him! :rofl:

Also a coincidence that he rode for Wimbledon. The club based not far away from one of the main Hugenot areas of the UK in Wandsworth. Passed the old cemetery just a few months back

Seems Wilbur was also involved in auto racing in Southern California 

9 minutes ago, chunky said:

Well, I don't think he had the internet to help him! :rofl:

Oh I was into researching family history before the internet came along. And that sort of thing always seems to be very important to a lot of Americans 

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Oh I was into researching family history before the internet came along. And that sort of thing always seems to be very important to a lot of Americans 

Thing is, Americans have such a mix of ancestry, going back back just two or three generations.

Personally, I don't have much idea of mine. I think that my mum's side was largely English, but not so on my dad's side. One grandad was Swiss, and he married a Dutch woman!

I'm trying to organise a speedway trip to the " Twisted Too " bar and grill in Roseville. Anybody interested, I bet the Mayor would organise a special welcome. If interested send money to my mate in Nigeria (he's a prince!!!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

I'm trying to organise a speedway trip to the " Twisted Too " bar and grill in Roseville. Anybody interested, I bet the Mayor would organise a special welcome. If interested send money to my mate in Nigeria (he's a prince!!!)

Count me in....