British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernComet

What League system do the fans want?

I'd prefer a league where clubs race on their preferred race night. Unfortunately that would mean losing out on the top riders due to foreign commitments. So I don't have the answer

18 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'd prefer a league where clubs race on their preferred race night. Unfortunately that would mean losing out on the top riders due to foreign commitments. So I don't have the answer

I'm with you on this because if teams raced on preferred nights the likes of Sayfutdinov, Holder, Bewley etc may not be able to ride in England which would be a shame. I have longed for the dwindling number of tracks to be all in just the one league though but it would reduce the quality. Difficult.  So I too do not have the answer.

One where LR doesn't have anything to do with first team affairs!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The lack of teams (and speedway venues) will soon dictate that  option 2 will eventually be the only option. Last time they merged it took a rebel league set up and eventually a government enquiry to force them to amalgamate. I see neither Sunak or Charmer getting involved, despite Sunak being  a closet Coventry supporter.

How long the present bunch of promoters will cling on to the existing 3 league structure is anyone's guess.  They have an annual conference every season and other than tinkering  around the edges show no concern for the future of the sport which must hinge on attracting NEW supporters.

There was no Government enquiry. The sport's governing body the RAC (a private members club) commissioned an enquiry  chaired by Lord Shawcross who was a crossbencher in the House of Lords.

Not enough riders for one big league anyway!

8 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Not enough riders for one big league anyway!

Not enough willing to ride in this country for very little reward. If enough clubs close down it could be 1small league. 

Posted (edited)

Ice Hockey seem to do ok with their No1 league having a "small" amount of teams ..

Many of them get crowds that Speedway would be very envious of, and could only dream of getting..

You need a top league with the best competitors to sell the rest of the sport..

Edited by mikebv

5 hours ago, Petecc said:

Not enough willing to ride in this country for very little reward. If enough clubs close down it could be 1small league. 

With Poland threatening to pull back the top boys again in 2025 there is going to be even less riders to fill all clubs which makes one big league even less likely, thankfully. 

One big league would be impossible without a massive reduction in team strengths to a level which would be unacceptable to the majority of supporters.

i would much rather watch Emil Sayfutdinov at NSS 3x per year than Scunthorpe and Plymouth tbh, so two leagues for me. If top league can go to 8 teams then thats good

British speedway will be shafted by Poland whatever league format me have. Keep a 'top' league and there won't be many if any of the top line riders like Sayfutdinov over here, all we'll end up doing is  paying the second tier heat leaders much the same money. One league with a sensible pay structure and closely matched teams would be ideal, but as said not enough riders, sorry to be so pessimistic but not looking good really.