British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

British League:West Ham 1965, Halifax 1966?

On 3/13/2024 at 3:22 PM, BOBBATH said:

I've been thinking of this for a while.  which of those two tracks, both champions in the respective years, were the better.

Firstly league results W.Ham in 1965  . Results  M.34 W 23 D1 L 10. Halifax in 1966 M 36  W 27 D 0 L 9. Better record for Halifax

Head to Head : 1965  Halifax 39-38 at Halifax. West Ham 45-33  at West Ham. 1966 Halifax beat West Ham both times by same score 41-37 each time . Better record for Halifax

Riders CMA 1965 West Ham : McKinlay 10.72, Harrfeldt 10.36, Hunter 9.56, Simmons 6.16, Trott 4.6, Leonard 3.68, Ede 2.84 . These were the seven most frequent riders Total of CMA's 48.12

Riders CMA 1966 Halifax :  Boocock 10.41, Boothroyd 9.35, Younghusband 9.02, Roper 7.42, Kingston 5.64, Jameson 5.27, Gavros 4.71. These were the seven most frequent riders. Total of CMA's 51.82

Clearly in 1965 the Hammers had the best Heat leaders by far, whereas in 1966  Halifax were by far the better balanced e.g in 66 Gavros' 4.71 lowest of the 7 would be ahead of the 3 lowest Hammers in 65 (Trott, Leonard, Ede)

My conclusion, as a nerd , and who went to many meetings both years is that Halifax  were more dominant in 66 , than West Ham were in 65, so I reckon that Halifax were a better team in the 66 BL than West Ham were in  the 65 BL. Only reason I did all this was  because West Ham ,justly , are often more praised for their championship winning season in 65, whereas Halifax's achievement doesn't seem to get the same recognition, which is a shame. Hope folks find this interesting- even the many hammers fans on the forum. Both tremendous teams though

In 1966,Halifax also won the KO cup,and the Northern trophy.

1 hour ago, Derrickn said:

In 1966,Halifax also won the KO cup,and the Northern trophy.

In 1965, West Ham also won the KO Cup, and the London Cup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

In 1965, West Ham also won the KO Cup, and the London Cup

And I saw them win all three!