British Speedway Forum
Badge

Lions v Witches knockout cup 1st April

2 hours ago, SJA said:

Who would you bring in?

I'd get Dan T to shave his beard exactly like Joe's so nobody would notice they've swapped! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Enjoyed the stream. Good way to enjoy a meeting as I was / am, pretty much unable to do mid weeks. 
Kinda expected Dan to outperform both our reserves and there was a huge difference in his performance compared to his twin. Hopefully Joe won’t choke for the next meeting. 
Drew was pretty much as I remember from last season and it is imperative that he makes that step up that has eluded him for the past couple of years. I do hope he makes the leap in class this season. It’s got to be disheartening for him as it sure is for us when he promises so much but is not getting out what he puts in. 
I know the guys all need time but the number of matches here doesn’t give them long to get things straight so let’s see where we are after another couple of matches. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SJA said:

Who would you bring in?

I would of kept Allen from last year ,better rider than kemp on a lower av, add another  Australian , RS is a joke in the top league but Thompson about the next best one,he’ll beat the odd rs especially at home

Edited by Spiderman1
  • Like 1

Only watched two heats from last night and think the footage is from lions TV. Got to honest the commentary actually sounded better then the BSN and Eurosport

6 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

I would of kept Allen from last year ,better rider than kemp on a lower av, add another  Australian , RS is a joke in the top league but Thompson about the next best one,he’ll beat the odd rs especially at home

Allen's average would be about a point above Kemp's, would've had to lose a point from the top 5 for that swap.

Personally I disagree about the RS in the top league being a joke, so far Brennan, Jenkins, Flint, Hume & Mountain have all progressed with team places after being "rising stars".

8 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I think the only reason Joe has outgrown the NL is because every year it seems to get and weaker. If added back in Gilkes, Kemp, Edwards etc Joe wouldn't look so dominant in it!

I agree, Joe has outgrown the NL because they've dropped the points limit to 36.25 & stopped any of his close rivals (all above 4.00) for racing in it.

Last year it suited him, this year not sure if it'll help him develop much at all?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

Allen's average would be about a point above Kemp's, would've had to lose a point from the top 5 for that swap.

Personally I disagree about the RS in the top league being a joke, so far Brennan, Jenkins, Flint, Hume & Mountain have all progressed with team places after being "rising stars".

The point is though they didn't need to be rising stars. They could have just signed as a reserve by choice of the club. Clubs are forced into having a rider they probably don't want. Brennan, Jenkins, Flint etc would have been picked anyways because there average was low so they could fit in more big guns. You can't tell me Joe T and Ashton are good enough to be in the premier league. Riders like Simon Lambert, Max Clegg etc could have been picked as a number 7 instead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

The point is though they didn't need to be rising stars. They could have just signed as a reserve by choice of the club. Clubs are forced into having a rider they probably don't want. Brennan, Jenkins, Flint etc would have been picked anyways because there average was low so they could fit in more big guns. You can't tell me Joe T and Ashton are good enough to be in the premier league. Riders like Simon Lambert, Max Clegg etc could have been picked as a number 7 instead. 

What normally happens, is a foreigner would be signed & Brits left on the scrap heap, think we'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of the RS scheme. I honestly think it's the best thing to happen to the Prem, since it stopped being the Elite League.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FishersGate said:

Only watched two heats from last night and think the footage is from lions TV. Got to honest the commentary actually sounded better then the BSN and Eurosport

I agree I thought Alex Raby was very good on comms but feel that some tweaking needs to be made to Leicester streams the picture quality was very dark in my opinion even on the earlier heats and struggled even more when dark . 
We all Know the lighting at Leicester is not the best and can’t compare to Eurosport or BT/Sky as full OBs but BSN seem to manage lighting better.

Hopefully Pete and the team can make some tweaks for the next meeting and fix a few things but overall a good first broadcast 

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 10:20 AM, SJA said:

Who would you bring in?

Someone in the top 5 would have to be sacrificed even though they've done nothing wrong due to the Numbers game.

In order to give the team a better balance I'd bring in Riss for starters because he looked back to his old self in the Charles Wright meeting, 2023 can be brushed under the carpet imo because he clearly wasn't anywhere near fit enough to ride a bike.

Then I'd look at one of the following two S. Lambert who always seems to do a decent job as a No.6 whenever KL snap him up or I'd look at bringing Sedgmen back even though he tailed off a bit towards the end of the last season because he was very good up until that point.

Kemp's not cut out to carry Joe Thompson, He doesn't have the temperament for it imo, The toys go out of the pram when things don't go right so the Lions need an experienced No.6 who can put in consistent scores in order to compensate for Joe Thompson's 0 or 1 every night.

Edited by TTT

I was thinking earlier, that it was a big surprise that Emil was on the receiving end of back to back 5-1s in this meeting... one for the statisticians out there, but this must surely be the first time it's happened to him riding for Ipswich?? Probably never happen again... 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, TTT said:

Someone in the top 5 would have to be sacrificed even though they've done nothing wrong due to the Numbers game.

In order to give the team a better balance I'd bring in Riss for starters because he looked back to his old self in the Charles Wright meeting, 2023 can be brushed under the carpet imo because he clearly wasn't anywhere near fit enough to ride a bike.

Then I'd look at one of the following two S. Lambert who always seems to do a decent job as a No.6 whenever KL snap him up or I'd look at bringing Sedgmen back even though he tailed off a bit towards the end of the last season because he was very good up until that point.

Kemp's not cut out to carry Joe Thompson, He doesn't have the temperament for it imo, The toys go out of the pram when things don't go right so the Lions need an experienced No.6 who can put in consistent scores in order to compensate for Joe Thompson's 0 or 1 every night.

I don't think the plan was for Kemp to cover Joe's 0s & 1s. Firstly Leicester probably expected more from Joe (it's early days I know) especially around Leicester. Secondly Leicester probably expected their top 5 to win the matches without needing a great contribution from the bottom two.

Not that I think Leicester would make a change so early, but now Kemp's average has gone up to 4.22 possible replacements are Ben Barker (4.06) David Bellego (4.00) Kye Thomson (4.00) Claus Vissing (4.00).

Edited by szkocjasid

On 4/2/2024 at 7:17 PM, FishersGate said:

Joe T will never be but Ashton will.