British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington Comets v Scunthorpe Scorpions 6/4/24 3pm BSN

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'm not the one weirdly laughing and using capitals in some kind of deranged post expressing happiness that a meeting has been cancelled because they think it upsets somebody living in Leicester... but if it makes you happy, I'm happy for you :t:

I had a wasted trip to my living room to watch it!

It's clearly pissed you off why else would you spit the dummy ??? Hahahah 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

It seems that in modern day speedway we can't run because, the wind is blowing, rain is forecast, the sun is in the riders eyes, it's too cold, it's too hot,  the car park is soggy, the trees are swaying, the swimming pool is flooded etc. It's quite comical to read

you forgot the leaves on the track, with that wind on the trees there must be plenty about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

It seems that in modern day speedway we can't run because, the wind is blowing, rain is forecast, the sun is in the riders eyes, it's too cold, it's too hot,  the car park is soggy, the trees are swaying, the swimming pool is flooded etc. It's quite comical to read

But back in the day they would race in anything ey :rofl:

Let's all forget just how much more powerful the bikes are these days and daydream about the olden days instead...

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

But back in the day they would race in anything ey :rofl:

Let's all forget just how much more powerful the bikes are these days and daydream about the olden days instead...

That's what they call progress I suppose.

Back in the day at least they had a go. In F1, for example, when it starts raining they put wet weather tyres on. In Speedway we do nothing, just make the engines less and less rideable unless the track is perfect and the rider is near world champion standard and get a job lot of tyres that also need the track to be in perfect condition to ride... have you ever asked yourself... why?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Supersteady84 said:

It's clearly pissed you off why else would you spit the dummy ??? Hahahah 

I know it's going to be difficult for you, but try and think and see If you can work that one out... enjoy your Workington Comets while you can because at this rate they'll be going the same way as the last promotion, you won't be laughing then.

Edited by iainb

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

I know it's going to be difficult for you, but try and think and see If you can work that one out... enjoy your Workington Comets while you can because at this rate they'll be going the same way as the last promotion, you won't be laughing then.

As a Leicester fan it's doesn't concern you what happens to workington!!!! It's been cancelled put ya dummy back in find something else to watch! Hahaha

4 minutes ago, Supersteady84 said:

As a Leicester fan it's doesn't concern you what happens to workington!!!! It's been cancelled put ya dummy back in find something else to watch! Hahaha

Unlike you, first and foremost I am a fan of Speedway and cancellations like this reflect on the whole sport, whether you realise that or not

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

Unlike you, first and foremost I am a fan of Speedway and cancellations like this reflect on the whole sport, whether you realise that or not

Unlike me!!! You're on a forum twinning about a meeting that's been cancelled. Hahahah the meeting is off get over it!!!!!

55 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's what they call progress I suppose.

Back in the day at least they had a go. In F1, for example, when it starts raining they put wet weather tyres on. In Speedway we do nothing, just make the engines less and less rideable unless the track is perfect and the rider is near world champion standard and get a job lot of tyres that also need the track to be in perfect condition to ride... have you ever asked yourself... why?

Set ups are changed in wet conditions though, carburettors are adjusted, gearing is changed, engine power is limited etc... there's only so much you can do on a soggy mud track. F1 is different because it's on tarmac and they have millions if not billions invested into it. That's a bad comparison.

If the conditions are dangerous, it must be off for rider safety. The workington promotion have deemed it unfit for racing. We have, after all, had the wettest winter in 250 years and not much sun... we're also being hit by one of them stupidly named storms right now too, so it's hardly surprising that the meeting is off. As has been the case for most meetings so far this year.

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

Why do they have trees on the back straight?:D

Been planted fully grown to shelter the grandstand 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Not so much Leicester fan... more BSN subscriber

BSN have stated you won't miss a scheduled meeting from Workington they will show the rearranged meeting or another one  so you can still get your worky fix from BSN

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Supersteady84 said:

Why is a Leicester fan so bothered about a comets meeting being cancelled hahahaha 

2 hours ago, Supersteady84 said:

Oh so you're spitting the dummy because the meeting you were gonna watch is cancelled !!! Hahahaha UNLUCKY 

It hasn't been cancelled though, it has been postponed.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

Set ups are changed in wet conditions though, carburettors are adjusted, gearing is changed, engine power is limited etc... there's only so much you can do on a soggy mud track. F1 is different because it's on tarmac and they have millions if not billions invested into it. That's a bad comparison.

If the conditions are dangerous, it must be off for rider safety. The workington promotion have deemed it unfit for racing. We have, after all, had the wettest winter in 250 years and not much sun... we're also being hit by one of them stupidly named storms right now too, so it's hardly surprising that the meeting is off. As has been the case for most meetings so far this year.

Fair point, probably a poor comparison to F1 but in F1 for example when a race is called as "wet" the tyres are mandated, maybe speedway needs something similar, a setup to be mandated that allows bikes to cope better with wet tracks. Wasn't today's meeting not postponed due to a waterlogged track though, it was postponed yesterday due to a weather forecast of 70mph winds was it not? A forecast that when we all checked it out this morning could see had changed markedly, like it often does. Turns out the winds in Workington between 2pm and 4pm were only between 31 and 36 mph. What is the ruling as regards calling a match off due to winds? What is deemed "safe"?

So far this season, of the matches I've been interested in we've had an opening night postponement at Leicester when Oxford were running just down the road, the Good Friday fiasco at Scunny, Belle Vue vs Sheffield going ahead in Easter Monday despite a horrific forecast and they barely got any rain, the return at Sheffield being postponed last Thursday due to an accurate forecast only to be rearranged for next Tuesday and then for that to be postponed due to "Stadium Availability" issues

Edited by iainb

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

Fair point, probably a poor comparison to F1 but in F1 for example when a race is called as "wet" the tyres are mandated, maybe speedway needs something similar, a setup to be mandated that allows bikes to cope better with wet tracks. Wasn't today's meeting not postponed due to a waterlogged track though, it was postponed yesterday due to a weather forecast of 70mph winds was it not? A forecast that when we all checked it out this morning could see had changed markedly, like it often does. Turns out the winds in Workington between 2pm and 4pm were only between 31 and 36 mph. What is the ruling as regards calling a match off due to winds? What is deemed "safe"?

They probably need different engines tbh, so not going through happen. They always say it's the engines.

15 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It hasn't been cancelled though, it has been postponed.

You knew exactly what I meant

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

They always say it's the engines.

You're right there, they always do, Rory Schlein was saying that on comms last night during the Scunny match. The question is how have we let the engines get to such a state where the gods of fortune have to be so greatly on your side to get a bog standard normal meeting on... and what is being done about it?

Edited by iainb