British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v EDINBURGH (BSN Series) Saturday, April 13

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

That seems a very stupid rule change to me, giving someone a second chance because they broke the rules?

9 hours ago, scaramanga said:

only thing i can think of with that rule is they are given the warning before race rather than after it 

It still means if a rider moves & messes himself up, so makes an awful start, he gets a second chance. As long as he doesn't move again, the warning means nothing.

See no reason why a ref can't play "advantage" and let a race go. Either that or exclude riders for "delaying the start" if they move - no warnings issued. That would be the best way to ensure they keep still at the start.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GM95 said:

Ref was poor for both sides. Etheridge decision was bonkers and Josh impeded himself when he jumped but he also let Schlein and Hume away with moving at the tapes. 

Good effort from the Monarchs although we can’t rely on Josh scoring like that all season. Kye and Sedgy will need to step up and Lasse needs to improve. Good to see Paco starting to find some consistency and showing what he’s capable of. 

Gonna query this statement, as I feel fans & riders / managers use the term "consistency" far too much in Speedway.

If Castagna had run four 3rd places, that would have been consistent, but 2 wins & 2 thirds isn't consistent.

Now if he scores 7,8,9 points every match, that'll be consistent.

"Good to see Paco showing what he’s capable of" - now that makes complete sense.

See it in GPs all the time, Max Fricke scores 4-6 points all year with one GP win, says he wants more consistency, well if you removed that one GP win = more consistency, but not sure he wants that lol!

35 minutes ago, Gambo95 said:

Why not just let the race run then without a warning. Berwick were away so it probably cost Berwick 2 points (would have expected Josh to catch Freddie).

If he was warned for heat 5 like he should have been (he moved before Drew) then at least pulling heat 11 back he would be off a 15m handicap.

Exactly!!!

I agree about a rider moving and messing there own start up 

It should be left 

Was just trying to find a reason why the rule was brought in 

5 hours ago, Shadders said:

Why on earth would he deliberately fall off his bike after all his injury issues in recent years? As far as I know he’s not a trained stuntman…. Daft 

I don’t think he would be the first or last rider to ‘drop it’ in an attempt to get another rider excluded or a rerun, again just my opinion as he was behind both Monarchs going in to bend one so I don’t think it would be the strangest thing in the world for a rider to try and get himself/his team a second bite at the cherry.

2 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

I don’t think he would be the first or last rider to ‘drop it’ in an attempt to get another rider excluded or a rerun, again just my opinion as he was behind both Monarchs going in to bend one so I don’t think it would be the strangest thing in the world for a rider to try and get himself/his team a second bite at the cherry.

Lasse’s dirt deflector did hit Etheridge’s front wheel,whether he jumped off is only something he can tell you.IMO.Dishington was in the Tv viewing studio and reckoned all 4 back.Just different opinions

Another enjoyable meeting that liberally went down to the wire and when the home needed a last heat hero they found two in Rory Schlein and Richard Lawson. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, screm said:

Another enjoyable meeting that liberally went down to the wire and when the home needed a last heat hero they found two in Rory Schlein and Richard Lawson. 

Agree ,good meeting with a bit of tension for Bandits fans thrown in.

14 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Sounds like the grand monarch reverted to type tonight 

Couple of iffy decision and one complete cock up for me. 

Etheridge can feel hard done to with his exclusion in heat 5, I expected all four back but at least the referee made a positive decision.

Inexplicable decision at the start of heat 11, Pickering moved, but penalised himself, when that happens the race should continue and the rider warned after the race. To give the rider who has stopped the race a second chance is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update on Bastian Borke taken from his Facebook page.

Bastian had a brutal crash yesterday in Berwick. Hes ok but still hospitalized. Luckily nothing broken but very bruised and having trouble walking.
We hope he comes home to dk tonight and for a check up at Danish hospital tomorrow.
Thank you for the many messages. It means a lot to Bastian.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Gonna query this statement, as I feel fans & riders / managers use the term "consistency" far too much in Speedway.

If Castagna had run four 3rd places, that would have been consistent, but 2 wins & 2 thirds isn't consistent.

"Good to see Paco showing what he’s capable of" - now that makes complete sense.

See it in GPs all the time, Max Fricke scores 4-6 points all year with one GP win, says he wants more consistency, well if you removed that one GP win = more consistency, but not sure he wants that lol!

Can you explain this please?

2 wins and 2 thirds = 8pts (not consistent) - but 7,8 or 9 points is consistent....  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hamster00 said:

I reiterate, with his recent record of shoulder injuries why on earth would he do that? 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Shadders said:

I reiterate, with his recent record of shoulder injuries why on earth would he do that? 

How many riders injure themselves going for a gap that isn’t there but then will still go for that same gap next time? How many people in day to day life get caught speeding but still go and speed the next time the are in a car?

I’m not quite sure again why just because someone shouldn’t do something or because you and me and many other people wouldn’t think it was wise to do means that they can’t do it?

People are competitive, sports people even more so I would say, so will always look to gain an edge.

Again I’m only offering a difference of opinion and as Fromafar said it looks like when he watched it he caught Fredriksens dirt deflector and we clearly just have different opinions from watching it from different angles etc.

I haven’t watched the stream as I don’t have a particular inclination to buy a stream for a meeting I attended and that might change my view if I did so.

I’m merely offering a viewpoint, and I can completely agree that if I watch it back I could change that opinion but I disagree that principally people always do the most sensible thing, 99% of life isn’t black and white, it’s various shades of grey imo and that’s why we have forums like this and will often have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Hamster00

1 hour ago, screm said:

Couple of iffy decision and one complete cock up for me. 

Etheridge can feel hard done to with his exclusion in heat 5, I expected all four back but at least the referee made a positive decision.

Inexplicable decision at the start of heat 11, Pickering moved, but penalised himself, when that happens the race should continue and the rider warned after the race. To give the rider who has stopped the race a second chance is crazy.

Can't see how it's an inexplicable decision in Heat 11 when it was explained that it's a new rule that the race must be stopped, whether that's right or wrong is another debate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Think you’re reading into things a bit too much here. Haha!