British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v EDINBURGH (BSN Series) Saturday, April 13

2 hours ago, spt82 said:

Can't see how it's an inexplicable decision in Heat 11 when it was explained that it's a new rule that the race must be stopped, whether that's right or wrong is another debate.

Its wrong and that`s the debate over.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, screm said:

Its wrong and that`s the debate over.

Yeah I don't agree with this new rule either, but it's the rule we have therefore it was the correct decision whether you like it or not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Macca said:

Think you’re reading into things a bit too much here. Haha! 

Yeah, once I started, just carried on rambling lol!

I’ve just watched the highlights of this meeting on Berwick’s YouTube channel and I have one question… was Stevie Wonder the referee?

Etheridge’s exclusion in heat five was beyond harsh; his front wheel was taken away from him by Thomson in what’s surely the perfect definition of first bend bunching.

If that was how the referee was governing the entire meeting, then fair enough, but he then went on to allow Castagna back in the re-run of heat fourteen after clipping Borke’s rear wheel, causing a crash.

I thought both incidents were the natural risks of bikes hitting a 10M wide corner with no breaks, so all four should have been back for the re-run, but for the referee to discriminate against one - arguably the least offensive, too - and not the other, is outrageous.

Are referees held accountable in speedway?

If Berwick dropped points on Saturday night, they would have had every right to be furious.

Shocking, bizarre and outright poor refereeing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

I’ve just watched the highlights of this meeting on Berwick’s YouTube channel and I have one question… was Stevie Wonder the referee?

Etheridge’s exclusion in heat five was beyond harsh; his front wheel was taken away from him by Thomson in what’s surely the perfect definition of first bend bunching.

If that was how the referee was governing the entire meeting, then fair enough, but he then went on to allow Castagna back in the re-run of heat fourteen after clipping Borke’s rear wheel, causing a crash.

I thought both incidents were the natural risks of bikes hitting a 10M wide corner with no breaks, so all four should have been back for the re-run, but for the referee to discriminate against one - arguably the least offensive, too - and not the other, is outrageous.

If Berwick dropped points on Saturday night, they would have had every right to be furious.

Castagna started from Gate 2 and turned  inside Borge and hit him half way up the back wheel!! Should have been excluded .IMO.

Edited by Fromafar

32 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Well, a referee was given a suspension after a Premiership match a few weeks ago, so draw your own conclusions from that.

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

Well, a referee was given a suspension after a Premiership match a few weeks ago, so draw your own conclusions from that.

McGregor was the ref on Sat. Draw your own conclusions from that.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Which referee and what happened?

To WBW. There is no such rule of "first bend bunching". If the race is stopped it's deemed "unsatisfactory start".

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Mystery is, why was this publicised?  Many instances of ref's making mistakes (only human) and there was no need to publicly pillory Mr Watters for what may or may not have been the wrong decision on the night.   Better to have a quiet word... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Mystery is, why was this publicised?  Many instances of ref's making mistakes (only human) and there was no need to publicly pillory Mr Watters for what may or may not have been the wrong decision on the night.   Better to have a quiet word... 

Agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Better ask the SCB that one.  It was them who said it on their website that there was to be an investigation into the refereeing decisions that night and, after the hearing into those investigations and it was on the BSPL website when the line-ups were announced, who the referee was.

9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Better ask the SCB that one.  It was them who said it on their website that there was to be an investigation into the refereeing decisions that night and, after the hearing into those investigations and it was on the BSPL website when the line-ups were announced, who the referee was.

While that was the case, you have too admit it was a strange decision.Certainly not a common one.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

While that was the case, you have too admit it was a strange decision.Certainly not a common one.

Perhaps it's the beginning of the SCB & BSPL being more open/public?? Who knows?