British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StephenMiller

Birmingham v Leicester 15th April 2024

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Becker was no slouch on his last visit, if I remember rightly?

Can't see many B'ham race wins!

Only Dougy from those above is in any decent form plus your underestimating how good Pawlicki can be.

I just think there are a lot of uncertain factors at play in this match. The weather (a constant factor at present), PP, new to the scene, Leicester smarting from a couple of recent defeats, Scotty who performed well in his recent spell with the Brummies and, and, and......

Throw into the mix the referee. The last time he presided over a Leicester match, he got a one match suspension.

I hope the weather don't win. I wouldn't miss this one for anything.

17 hours ago, TTT said:

Birmingham to bounce back with a win.

The reserves will see them over the line in a close one (47-43)

I don't understand Leicester's line-up at all, Why on earth would you put a struggling Sam Masters at No.5 to partner the already struggling reserves Kemp & Thompson?

Clutching at straws to figure this one out but maybe trying to shake Masters out of being able to hide himself in the 3/4 zone? Could have moved him to 2 but would that have just kept that going? 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Totally agree with that!

Be interesting to see if anyone can beat Douglas? hes' unbelievably good around PB!

Dulpicated

Edited by szkocjasid

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Totally agree with that!

Be interesting to see if anyone can beat Douglas? hes' unbelievably good around PB!

4 hours ago, StephenMiller said:

Douglas, Masters and Lawson are all usually excellent around Perry Barr so the Brummies will have their hands full tonight i think.

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Becker was no slouch on his last visit, if I remember rightly?

Can't see many B'ham race wins!

I've not seen much racing at Perry Barr to comment on the form of Douglas, Lawson & Masters, but don't forget in the last couple of years they've been racing against a very weak Brummies side, certainly at heat leader level, so any Champ heat leader should have been putting up good scores there.

Has Becker ridden much at PB?

Won't be so easy against Nicholls, Brennan & Pawlicki.

Tough to call, as on paper I see no reason why Brummies can't win. But after their performance against Oxford (excluding Nicholls & Brennan) I find it hard to back them to beat anyone.

Firstly I think this meeting is in the hands of the weather gods, I have been to and from Bilston to Atherstone and Bagworth near to Market Bosworth, and to put it bluntly it threw a bit of everything at me, Thunder, Lightening, Strong winds, Hail, Heavy rain showers, and Sun, it was really heavy stuff over Leicester way but not so bad around Birmingham and the Black country, so long as we don't get to much of the heavy stuff that wind should dry the track out from the heavier showers that we have had so far, that's the weather assesment over with now to the meeting.

If Birmingham can't win this meeting with Scottie guesting for Lampart then they will struggle to win any meeting, Leicester have some decent Heat leaders but most of them have been inconsistant so far this season, Birmingham have struggled so far without a genuine No1 until tonight when Pawlicki makes his debut, basically there are to many if's but's and maybe's to forecast a winner if Leicester's heat leaders can get heir gating gloves on then they should win, but if they don't then they won't, if Pawlicki performs as he can and gets back up from Milik and Scottie then the Brummies will shade it, as I have no doubts Birmingham's reserves are stronger, but in summary too close to call but whoever gates best will win on a track that has proven itself to be a bit of a gaters paradise over recent seasons.

Just a heads up, the 3rd & 4th bends have given a bit of help when riding a wide line, the 1st & 2nd bend has so far this season done nothing but cost riders when they have gone out wide (not even Bomber) hopefully someone may try something different around bends 1&2 tonight.

27 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I've not seen much racing at Perry Barr to comment on the form of Douglas, Lawson & Masters, but don't forget in the last couple of years they've been racing against a very weak Brummies side, certainly at heat leader level, so any Champ heat leader should have been putting up good scores there.

Has Becker ridden much at PB?

Won't be so easy against Nicholls, Brennan & Pawlicki.

Tough to call, as on paper I see no reason why Brummies can't win. But after their performance against Oxford (excluding Nicholls & Brennan) I find it hard to back them to beat anyone.

That's a fair point!

Becker hasn't ridden many times at PB, but he has improved every time I've seen him!

Have to see with Pawlicki....I dont know what to expect?

But apart from Nicholls, I think the other B'ham riders will struggle to cope with Leicesters main 5!

If B'ham Reserves don't outscore Leicester's by at least double...then there's no hope at all!

Drew Kemp is easily capable of beating Cook and Flint if he gates!

20 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

That's a fair point!

Becker hasn't ridden many times at PB, but he has improved every time I've seen him!

Have to see with Pawlicki....I dont know what to expect?

But apart from Nicholls, I think the other B'ham riders will struggle to cope with Leicesters main 5!

If B'ham Reserves don't outscore Leicester's by at least double...then there's no hope at all!

Drew Kemp is easily capable of beating Cook and Flint if he gates!

Trust me Pawlicki will become a big fan favourite at PB

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

Kemp and Thompson will come good ,just need another season or 2

Thomson possibly,  Kemp seems to have been needing another season or 2 for the last 3 or 4, so seems to have got to his level.

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

Thomson possibly,  Kemp seems to have been needing another season or 2 for the last 3 or 4, so seems to have got to his level.

Thompson will never make it above Div 3/2 level. 

22 hours ago, TTT said:

Birmingham to bounce back with a win.

The reserves will see them over the line in a close one (47-43)

I don't understand Leicester's line-up at all, Why on earth would you put a struggling Sam Masters at No.5 to partner the already struggling reserves Kemp & Thompson?

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Clutching at straws to figure this one out but maybe trying to shake Masters out of being able to hide himself in the 3/4 zone? Could have moved him to 2 but would that have just kept that going? 

Maybe the plan was to shore up heat 8 with Joe T struggling. But surely Lawson at 3 does that too?

Still can't find the logic of their change.

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

But apart from Nicholls, I think the other B'ham riders will struggle to cope with Leicester's main 5!

Pre-season I may have thought the same thing, but Leicester's top 5 haven't gone as well as I'd expect. Not that Birmingham have done much either.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Maybe the plan was to shore up heat 8 with Joe T struggling. But surely Lawson at 3 does that too?

Still can't find the logic of their change.

Stewart has done it a few times in the past. He did it in the Poole semi final a few years ago and also for Glasgow I think. He usually puts the most out of form rider at 5 and basically sacrifices heat 13 in order to strengthen heat and a few others 

I do agree though that I still don't understand the change. 

If Birmingham don't win tonight then they won't win a meeting all season.

This is the strongest 1-7 Birmingham will put out all season.

• Haha 1