British Speedway Forum

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Chadster said:

In the late 70s and early 80s Wimbledon made a habit of picking a novice at no. 7 in order to get the team under the point limit. Lads like Jay Pleece and Dave Brewer were given a go. It wasn't that they couldn't ride but they just struggled massively out of the starts. So when the Dons announced the signing of another unknown, Kelvin Tatum, I was completely underwhelmed. His first meeting against Ipswich was a revelation, not just for the points scored but for his sharpness out of the tapes. The two seasons Kelvin spent at the Dons were two of my most enjoyable watching speedway, seeing him go from raw novice to potential superstar. Just a shame that he fulfilled his potential away from Plough Lane.

Great to see the earlier post about Roger Johns. I didn't see him when he was struggling but he was such a great rider to watch. Definitely one rider you hoped would miss the gate!

Yeah, Roger was a "big" signing, but never really got anywhere for a few seasons. In his first year at Plough Lane, he did okay, average over five points a meeting, but went backwards over the next couple of years. He averaged less than four in 1976, and considering his experience, that was very poor. Suddenly, things changed!

I was there for for Kelvin's first meeting, and yes, he looked great! It was also a shame that he got whacked by Preben Eriksen...

As you say, we had a habit of throwing in youngsters to keep under the limit. The best two were Brewer and Pleece. Jay SHOULD have done better, I feel, but never progressed at all. Dave Brewer actually did, and was doing fine at Exeter. I was talking to Dave online a few months ago, and he said it he said it was an injury that stopped him. I think it was a leg injury, and he just wasn't able to bounce back from it, and he retired. He was never going to be a world-beater, but he could have had a decent career.

Another couple who were never going to make it were Martyn Charles (before your time, probably) and Mark Fordham.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wayne Brown at Berwick spent most of his 1st three seasons at reserve averaging under 4. Then one night he beat the Owen Brothers in Pairs at Berwick and suddenly  became a Top Man the next week and never looked back.Had a great career at Berwick and then had one season in big league then went home to help with the family business.Unfortunately was killed in a work related incident soon afterwards.A great little guy sadly missed.

Edited by Fromafar

14 hours ago, chunky said:

Yeah, Roger was a "big" signing, but never really got anywhere for a few seasons. In his first year at Plough Lane, he did okay, average over five points a meeting, but went backwards over the next couple of years. He averaged less than four in 1976, and considering his experience, that was very poor. Suddenly, things changed!

I was there for for Kelvin's first meeting, and yes, he looked great! It was also a shame that he got whacked by Preben Eriksen...

As you say, we had a habit of throwing in youngsters to keep under the limit. The best two were Brewer and Pleece. Jay SHOULD have done better, I feel, but never progressed at all. Dave Brewer actually did, and was doing fine at Exeter. I was talking to Dave online a few months ago, and he said it he said it was an injury that stopped him. I think it was a leg injury, and he just wasn't able to bounce back from it, and he retired. He was never going to be a world-beater, but he could have had a decent career.

Another couple who were never going to make it were Martyn Charles (before your time, probably) and Mark Fordham.

Alan Mogridge? Was a bit of a sacrificial lamb when first in the Dons team but went on to a long career.

I was also there for Kelvins debut, you could tell straight away he was a cut above the other number 7’s

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, salty said:

Alan Mogridge? Was a bit of a sacrificial lamb when first in the Dons team but went on to a long career.

I was also there for Kelvins debut, you could tell straight away he was a cut above the other number 7’s

Moggo? Yeah, maybe out of his depth at Plough Lane, but he was just a kid thrown in at the deep end. However, he had an immediate impact when he joined Crayford the following year, so it's not like he was a zero for long! I certainly never felt like he wasn't going to make it...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

Tbh i think you are being a bit harsh on Roger. Gordon Kennett started out at the same time. He was also given some meetings for the Dons in his fits season. But i think it was fairly clear at Eastbourne that Gordon was the better of the two. But it still took Gordon a few years to really get going. You could say, the move to White City really was the start of the big time. Roger was just that bit behind Gordon always really. 

But i do recall a Bank holiday home and away clash with Oxford. And the guy on the mic was going on about Roger and Bobby McNeil, and saying it looked like Oxford had got the better rider......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Tbh i think you are being a bit harsh on Roger. Gordon Kennett started out at the same time. He was also given some meetings for the Dons in his fits season. But i think it was fairly clear at Eastbourne that Gordon was the better of the two. But it still took Gordon a few years to really get going. You could say, the move to White City really was the start of the big time. Roger was just that bit behind Gordon always really. 

But i do recall a Bank holiday home and away clash with Oxford. And the guy on the mic was going on about Roger and Bobby McNeil, and saying it looked like Oxford had got the better rider......

As I said, I was looking at Roger's transition to BL.

Here are the BL figures for both, and Gordon was a year ahead, so I'll do a direct comparison. Gordon posted a sub-6.00 average during his first three seasons of BL racing; Roger posted a sub-6.00 average in his first SEVEN seasons of BL racing. In his fifth season, Gordon went up nearly a point to 7; Roger dropped over a point to 4.4. Following year, Gordon put over a point on his average, while Roger continued to drop (to below ). That's why he didn't appear (to me) to be going anywhere.

1970                       1971     
Gordon : 2.33         Roger : 2.00
1971                       1972
Gordon : 3.45        Roger 4.31
1972                       1973
Gordon : 3.73        Roger : 4.36
1973                       1974

Gordon : 6.42        Roger : 5.45
1974                       1975
Gordon : 7.32        Roger : 4.40
1975                       1976
Gordon : 8.41        Roger : 3.91
1976                        1977
Gordon : 9.69         Roger : 5.46
1977                        1978
Gordon : 10.41       Roger : 7.82
1978                        1979
Gordon : 9.52         Roger : 7.89
1979                        1980
Gordon : 9.91         Roger : 8.22

• Like 1

6 hours ago, salty said:

Thanks for reminding me about Alan Mogridge. I think the Dons tried out a young Andy Galvin and he perhaps looked the liveliest of all the likely lads before Kelvin came along. I was surprised the Dons didn't persist with Galvin. Of course he was later a pantomine villain in his appearances at Plough Lane with Hackney. Something always seemed to happen when he was around!

• Like 1

Martin Goodwin at Arena Essex 1984.

I remember Martin as a junior at Crayford in 1980 - very hairy style(if you could call it that) and although a member of the Crayford junior team that year, there was nothing to suggest he could step up to NL reserve; if anybody looked likely, it was a lad named Tony Brooks but he sadly never made it.

Martin disappeared from the Crayford scene from 1981 to 1983 before resurfacing at Arena as a 3.00 reserve and ended the season as a heat leader and went on to be the foil for Neil Middleditch/Andrew Silver before becoming the main man himself.

I remember being told by a notorious story-teller (so probably true!) at the time that he asked to come for a trial at Hackney in '84 but was advised to try his luck at Arena. If he had had a trial, I'm sure he would have being given the reserve spot instead of Mark Terry and who knows, we may have finished higher than 4th that year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Downes said:

If anybody looked likely, it was a lad named Tony Brooks but he sadly never made it.

He did get his name in the history books, though!

On 5/5/2024 at 3:26 PM, enotian said:

Mark Thorpe for me. Was dropped at one point during his first two season's with the Diamonds despite showing glimpses of potential he was ordinary in some not very good Diamonds teams.

As I understand it he wasn't in the promoters thoughts for a third season but the numbers worked and he found himself starting the season at reserve with newly signed Scott Lamb.  Probably the best 2nd tier reserve pairing ever, Thorpie was like a different rider going straight from reserve to heat leader and staying there. Even become Commonwealth Champion (I think) at one point.

Statistically speaking it has to be Berwick's Wayne Brown.

Agreed . His process was made by better gating and a change in attitude and I think life style. On the night he could be brilliant and formed a great winning partnership with David Bargh. I think he either won or was second in a big international completion held at Kings Lynn about 1993 ,. It was quite out of the Blue. Happy days..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

He did get his name in the history books, though!

Ah the 65-12 against Worky.... trying to remember which Kestrel it was who finished a heat with a flat tyre but kept the 5-1's going ... or is old age playing tricks with the old memory.

Maybe Poole fans will put me right but i still cant believe how well  Leon Madsen has done,I thought he was a very average rider,and didnt race in the UK that long,but the next thing i remember was watching him in Poland a few years later and i just thought what.............is this the same rider i saw in the uk.I never so that kind of progress coming and fair play to him,he still is producing top quality racing week in week out.

David Sheilds signed by oxford 1978 he was at Milton Keynes for 2nd half rides signed on the night for oxford rode in match debut with a paid max

On 5/5/2024 at 4:01 PM, Gambo said:

Rick Miller.

Needed points in his last meeting of his first season to attain the mandatory point average to enable his return. 

Went on to be part of the Bees' Title winning sides of 1987 & 1988, two times World Finalist, and was awarded a Testimonial in his final 1992 season.

Probably one of the best testimonials seen at Brandon.

Great meeting!

I was lucky enough to win Sam Ermolenko's race bib in a raffle on the day . my job at the time was driving for Fed-Ex....astonishingly, the following week, I had a parcel delivery for Rick at his rented home in Walmley - B'ham....I took the race jacket with me and he duly signed it. (it's in my loft....) happy days!

As for the topic thread....

I remember Mitch Shirra turning up at B'ham mid 70's for second half events, until they found out that he was only 14 years old ? ...he was 'phenomenal' on a bike !

Unfortunately I can't ever remember him riding for B'ham when old enough?

I think Coventry signed him!