British Speedway Forum

Borunemouth Echo.

Loramski looking for a Poole send-off

7:00am Friday 30th April 2010

By Phil Chard »

MARK Loram has confirmed he wants to stage his British ‘Farewell Meeting’ at Poole next year.

Loramski breathtakingly star-red for Pirates in 1999 and 2000 and is still a cult hero among the Wimborne Road faithful.

Despite living in East Anglia, and Ipswich being his last club before injury finally, and cruelly, ended his career in December, Poole’s first world champion wants to hold his benefit on the Dorset bowl.

Pirates chief Matt Ford will back Loram’s bid to stage such a meeting in 2011 when his request is put forward to the British Speedway Promoters’ Association for them to make a decision.

Loram, one of the most popular riders to wear the skull and crossbones race-jacket, said: “I have spoken to Matt and said what the options are.

“But I would like to have it at Poole because, with the greatest respect to Ipswich, I know he will have a little bit more time to help me with the meeting.

“He’s a great promoter and it’s very nice of him to get involved with it. I do appreciate his help.”

Earlier this year, Ford said he wanted Loram’s 2000 world title-winning achievement recognised by his inclusion in the Queen’s Honours List.

The Wimborne Road supremo called for Britain’s speedway fraternity to back his appeal so that Loram and another ex-Pirate, Gary Havelock, who won the world title in 1992, get the recognition he feels they deserve.

Loram, who was just been inducted in to the Poole club’s ‘Hall of Fame’, said: “It would be very nice to have the recognition, not just for myself and Gary, but for the sport as a whole.

“Also, I’m honoured to be inducted in to Poole’s ‘Hall of Fame’. I’ve always had fond memories of my time at the club.

“I’ve made it quite clear in the past the best years of my career were here because of the obvious, winning the World Championship.

“That first meeting at Poole after I came back from Poland with the trophy is a night I’ll never forget.

“So it’s nice to be inducted alongside Pirates greats like Tony Rickardsson, Craig Boyce, Malcolm Simmons, Pete Smith, Brian Crutcher, Ken Middle-ditch and the rest of the boys.

“I’m very proud to be part of it.”

<•>Poole’s runaway 70-24 home victory over Lakeside on Wednesday was the third biggest in the Elite League since it’s inception in 1997.

Number one is Eastbourne’s 75-0 home triumph over King’s Lynn in 2001, followed by Oxford’s 71-21 home demolition of Coventry in 2004.

King’s Lynn walked out after Eagles refused their request to use guest Danny Bird for Lee Richmond.

Yay!!! :D That is brilliant news! Thought he would choose Ipswich but very happy its going to be at Poole.

Edited by lisa-colette

Yay!!! :D That is brilliant news! Thought he would choose Ipswich but very happy its going to be at Poole.

Don't care where it is :rolleyes:

This is one meeting I would travel anywhere to see, well deserved for the most entertaining rider in my time watching speedway :approve:

Definatly have to get along for that one hope and expect a great line up for such a great rider and bloke

Give me a chance to wear my SGP Loram hat again .... seems only to make the effort for one of the great entertainers .....

I would most certainly love to be there but it may prove difficult as middle son refuses to ever go to Poole again......he got lost at the WTC and it scared him so much he goes into a panic at the mention of going to speedway there again.

I would most certainly love to be there but it may prove difficult as middle son refuses to ever go to Poole again......he got lost at the WTC and it scared him so much he goes into a panic at the mention of going to speedway there again.

Best u get the hand-cuffs out then ! :lol:

Mark was the man who got me back to Speedway in 1999, aftet a 4 year break, reason, i got Bord. i had the pleasure of meeting him at our hall of fame meal last week. Mark came across as a real nice bloke, nothing false about him whatsoever.

By the way, the meal was superb. :wink:

Mark Deserves a fairwell meeting, although imo fairwell meetings goodbye meetings testimonials etc are thrown around far to easily nowadays, i feel Mark deserves his, he's been a great ambassitor for our sport and an English World Champion. Mark always had that never say die attitude to his racing, and in those days i would stand with my mates near the starting gate. I don't think there was a poole fan in the stadium who didn't want Mark to miss the gate. When he did, i would nudge one of my mates and say, we got a race here!! :wink:

But i certainly wouldn't want to see Mark lost to Speedway completely, imo he could be a great influence on the kids.

I really look forward to his fairwell meeting in 2011.

Edited by Starman2006

I guess it is testament to Matt Ford that Mark wants his meeting down at Poole, he's sure to get a great turn out. Pity it couldn't be at the track where he spent more years riding at than any other club ;)

I guess it is testament to Matt Ford that Mark wants his meeting down at Poole, he's sure to get a great turn out. Pity it couldn't be at the track where he spent more years riding at than any other club ;)

And what track was that then, young Trees

Unfortunately Mark had his best years at poole!!

And what track was that then, young Trees

Spent more years at Kings Lynn. A born racer at one of the best race tracks - surely Saddlebow Road would have been best.

As for his best year, I would have said 1988 with Hackney. A mere youngster, raw and spectacular.