British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

ANDERS MICHANEK - BIG exclusive!

Hopefully TMC you will be at the VSRA in March and we'll meet then (I'll be the one propping the bar up :wink: )

Many thanks for my copy just going to show Unc. his pictures in there (again) :approve: Definately a must for people like me this magazine. Roll on the next issue xx

I just hope the error in our production department (where a type font defaulted and automatically erased all the apostrophes in the Anders interview - arrgh, bloody technology!) hasn't spoiled it for anyone.

Norbold?

I loved Anders' description of the time he got excluded for bringing off Peter Collins. 'I didn't touch him... well, maybe moved his leg a little bit.'

I remember Anders in a run off with Peter Collins at a test match at Sheffield many moons ago, can't remember when as I would not be very old, but was one of the best races I have ever seen live.

Love the quote about Olsen

"He was a good rider but he's a dane-and that says everything!" :D Classic

Reading through Ander's interview makes you realise how soft some of the riders of today are. :P

Shame the breed Anders came from has died out from speedway today.

Mighty Mitch vs Naughty Nicki!!! Bet I can guess who would come out the victor out of those two. :)

Edited by Wackie

I remember Anders in a run off with Peter Collins at a test match at Sheffield many moons ago, can't remember when as I would not be very old, but was one of the best races I have ever seen live.

Almost certainly the race you are thinking of, happened in an England v Sweden test in 1973.

It wasn't a run off but was the final heat of the match, both teams having finished level. For three laps Sweden were on a 4-2 until PC swept around the outside of Anders, whilst Eric Boocock did the same to Tommy Jansson to secure victory.

It was an incredible race which actually features on the 'Peter Collins Story' video.

Thanks for reminding me I had vague memories of it, and I would only be 9 at the time.

I rember at the time think like most people that we did not stand a chance.

Nice to meet you at smallmead last monday tmc,are there any plans to have other READING riders in backtrack sometime.A few i could reel off include jan andersson banger jansson dave jessup john davis bobby schwartz richard may bernie leigh bob humpreys and my hero when i was younger boley proch hope it give you some ideas and good luck with the magazine.

no doubt Michanek could have won a few more World Championships had he had the desire..He was the master at good guy bad guy routine, i dont think anyone ever figured him out.. imo tremendous competitor..and a great ambassador for the sport...

Strange memories. For most years in the 70s he was just another number 1.

In 73/4 he was a level above. An insignificant memory, or more revealing perhaps, was a scratch final in the second half at Wolves. Michanek had beaten Olsen in heat 1 (in those days, almost unheard of) and Ole was up for revenge. Olsen gated (for once!) and Michanek pulled up. Guess he didn't want to be beaten, even in a second half race.

Strange memories. For most years in the 70s he was just another number 1.

In 73/4 he was a level above. An insignificant memory, or more revealing perhaps, was a scratch final in the second half at Wolves. Michanek had beaten Olsen in heat 1 (in those days, almost unheard of) and Ole was up for revenge. Olsen gated (for once!) and Michanek pulled up. Guess he didn't want to be beaten, even in a second half race.

Maybe he had engine failure??

I think you'll find he was a bit more than your average number one!!

Just wondering who won the Michanek Race jacket? That would be a very nice piece of Speedway memorabilia.